Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ESI: Thoughts so far?

Comments

• edited February 2020
    Sorry wrong thread 
  • and if they don't...........?
    If nothing happens at around that time, I think they've mislead the fans and answers should be demanded. I'm personally just judging em what they've done and what they say they're intending to do, assuming they are being honest and have the best intentions.

Until then, if me dog had rungs he'd be a step ladder
  • edited February 2020
    and if they don't...........?
    Then I assume RD would have the power to sue ESI for breach of contract.

Thereafter the worst case scenario the owners of ESI (HE) then walks away and let's it fall into administration.  RD does not want to buy the club back and administrators step in to sell a loss making football business with no real estate assets, few contracted player assets, and possibly no rental agreement on the real estate assets beyond that 6 month contractual agreement. 

I am sure there would be loads of takers.
  • Davo55 said:

........But the real judgement will come at the end of August. If ESI have not by then substantially improved the starting eleven and the squad, if they have not completed on the deal to acquire the freehold of the Valley and Sparrows Lane, and if they have not made a start on the development of the academy - then we’ll know it was all just PR spin. 

All we can do for now is wait, and hope. 

Posted the above on the transfer rumours thread in January, and it holds true now. There's lots of hopes and fears, but that's all they are at this stage.
    January isn’t the time when football does it’s main business - would expect there to be more of a clean slate at the end of the season. 
    I think the judgment on ESI can only come when they’ve had a chance to review everything. I’ve would imagine (because I can’t actually know) that they have the money to substantially invest - but are waiting to do this after the final whistle at Leeds has blown. 
    We also don’t have the full knowledge of how Roland has left things for them - which could potentially be worse than expected. 

Benefit of the doubt from me - they need the chance to prove themselves.
  • Davo55 said:

........But the real judgement will come at the end of August. If ESI have not by then substantially improved the starting eleven and the squad, if they have not completed on the deal to acquire the freehold of the Valley and Sparrows Lane, and if they have not made a start on the development of the academy - then we’ll know it was all just PR spin. 

Posted the above on the transfer rumours thread in January, and it holds true now. There's lots of hopes and fears, but that's all they are at this stage.
    January isn’t the time when football does it’s main business - would expect there to be more of a clean slate at the end of the season. 
    I think the judgment on ESI can only come when they’ve had a chance to review everything. I’ve would imagine (because I can’t actually know) that they have the money to substantially invest - but are waiting to do this after the final whistle at Leeds has blown. 
    We also don’t have the full knowledge of how Roland has left things for them - which could potentially be worse than expected. 

I bloody hope they don't have to wait that long - going to Elland Road needing something to stay up fills me with dread.
  • edited February 2020
    Addickted said:
    I'm convinced that if I handed out £20 notes tomorrow to every Lifers, then 80% of you would give it back and want to know why.

After what we've been through over the past five or six years, just enjoy the ride.

Que Sera, Sera,.
    I'm convinced that if you handed out £20 notes 100% of people who know you would faint from the shock
  • these are facts not hysterical ignorance

ESi has been involved in the take-over since August 2019 - this means that they should know quite a lot about how the club is run and what is needed even if they couldn't actually do anything until after the takeover

ESi originally stated that they had purchased the Valley only for us to ascertain later that the Valley and Sparrow Lane are still owned by RD

ESi stated at takeover that a priority was to conclude  a new contract for LB- this has not been completed

It is not fair to mention player purchases or loans as the window is still open but the above inconsistencies do seriously concern me. With RD's inability to communicate the PR efforts by ESi seem to be a breath of fresh air, or is it just hot air?

Great post.

Supporters questioning fans' criticism of ESI cannot argue it has not been a good start and they have made mistakes.

We need to hope that we stay up, Bowyer starts next season at The Valley, ESI meet their "obligation" and own The Valley and Sparrows Lane outright by June.  Only time will tell.

We need to be patient, let's see where we are in December this year.

@blackpool72 was not a fan.
  • Wonder if they will complete on premises and issue decent season ticket prices at same time. This could really influence sales of season tickets.

Leave it late and miss a golden opportunity imho.
    I won't buy a season ticket if we are paying Roland rent.
    I am waiting for a refund on the £24 I paid for the West Brom game.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2020
    Addickted said:
    I'm convinced that if I handed out £20 notes tomorrow to every Lifers, then 80% of you would give it back and want to know why.

After what we've been through over the past five or six years, just enjoy the ride.

Que Sera, Sera,.
    I'm convinced that if you handed out £20 notes 100% of people who know you would faint from the shock
    I'd put you in the 20% group.

You'd probably send @UEAAddick round for you as well.
  • these are facts not hysterical ignorance

ESi has been involved in the take-over since August 2019 - this means that they should know quite a lot about how the club is run and what is needed even if they couldn't actually do anything until after the takeover

ESi originally stated that they had purchased the Valley only for us to ascertain later that the Valley and Sparrow Lane are still owned by RD

ESi stated at takeover that a priority was to conclude  a new contract for LB- this has not been completed

It is not fair to mention player purchases or loans as the window is still open but the above inconsistencies do seriously concern me. With RD's inability to communicate the PR efforts by ESi seem to be a breath of fresh air, or is it just hot air?

Great post.

Supporters questioning fans' criticism of ESI cannot argue it has not been a good start and they have made mistakes.

We need to hope that we stay up, Bowyer starts next season at The Valley, ESI meet their "obligation" and own The Valley and Sparrows Lane outright by June.  Only time will tell.

We need to be patient, let's see where we are in December this year.

@blackpool72 was not a fan.
    Bumped into Russ in Specsavers the other day. This is how the conversation went: 
    Me: Russell Slade!
    Russ: Yes
    Me: I’m a Charlton fan.
    Russ (trying to get away): Still?!
    Me: Yup. Always. 
    Russ: Bye.

• and if they don't...........?
    I am deeply concerned that if we are relegated, all the deals will be off, hence the delays in buying the freeholds and releasing cash for permanent signings .. I hope that I am ABSOLUTELY WRONG about this .. anyway, we ain't going down
    Agree with this, my thoughts on it too 
  • Davo55 said:

That’s why I said August. 
  • Right now my only concern is points and staying up.
    For the rest we're blowing in the wind...today literally.
  • Jackson signed a new deal.
  • Think the interview with Avory may have been before transfer window closed but still a good read.

• El vestit nou de l'emperador

• Think the interview with Avory may have been before transfer window closed but still a good read.

That didn't age well...
  • Wow, I'm glad I've not allowed myself to get too involved in this thread. Looks like some have got serious revisions to make.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not much in truth 
  • Think the OP called it just about right.

Well played that man.

:-)
  • edited March 2020
    Think the OP called it just about right.

Well played that man.

:-)
    "Ill be honest. I think Southall knows very little about Nimer and vice versa."

That comment was bang on 
  • let's hope that the player's and other staff's wages continue to get paid (I write this on 10 March) .. once again it seems that Charlton Athletic has fallen into the hands of a bunch of absolute wronguns .. 
  • I'd like to move my positive outlook of earlier posts on this thread to "slight concerns".
  • Going swimmingly I can't believe I gave them a 3/10!! 
  • While Matt and ESI have said the right things, at the end of the day actions are what ultimately count, especially in a time critical situation and so far it's been a bit underwhelming in terms of actual achievements, whether signings or contracts. Yes, we don't want to overspend, but at the moment we don't look like a club with money to spend, which is slightly concerning. Being linked with 2 Bristol Rovers players in the papers (yes it's paper talk blah blah) doesn't suggest a club making a step change in its ambition...

Yes Matt seems a decent guy and has said the right things, but to be fair in the early days Katrien seemed the same as well.
    Except it took longer for the Katrien veneer to wear off...
  • Can we wait until summer?

• All talk & no action.

Talk is cheap.

Actions speak louder than words.

Right all along. 2nd post in - January 19th.