Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Simple poll. The Valley or new stadium.

124»

Comments

• Options
    Stay at the Valley, fill in the SW/SE corners, move away fans to the SW corner, capacity c32-35k - more than enough.

inc hospitality revenue 
  • Options
    Stay at the Valley, we have left a couple of times and both almost led to disaster. If we hadn’t gotten promoted that year at Selhurst we may not have had a club left to support. 

All this worry about expanding the ground, I personally think after this pandemic the way people watch live sport may change. I can see more streaming of games/ events. 

• Options
    The south corners and an improved JS stand would surely be enough, my concern would be could the station cope, I would then think the club may have to become involved in some way. 
  • Options
    The south corners and an improved JS stand would surely be enough, my concern would be could the station cope, I would then think the club may have to become involved in some way. 
    There just needs to be better links to North Greenwich, and to Woolwich for Crossrail (which should be open within the TS timeline for promotion) if you can get a decent bus link to those two stations you take a load of pressure off Charlton station, you also get Valley Express running at the levels it used to. 
  • Options
    Is this an annual thing now?  I see this thread was started in Jan 2020 and we have been discussing moving from the Valley since around 1925.  In the years since we left the Prem we have seen less of it.  Really, we are never going to need a stadium bigger than the Valley.  Even if we return to the Prem we could potentially increase capacity to 40k.

Anyway the Valley is the Valley.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    The valley all day long...but doesn't roly own it so who knows.
  • Options
    Is this an annual thing now?  I see this thread was started in Jan 2020 and we have been discussing moving from the Valley since around 1925. 

Its not really a suprise that a topic like this might pop up when a new owner comes in though is it? Theres a chance that TS has probably had thoughts about Charltons future in terms of stadium, and of course we have a special relationship with our ground, perhaps a stronger bond then most other teams who have never really had to fight to keep playing in it. As such any murmurings of moving to a new ground would probably have a lot more opposition from our fans then other teams. 

I seem to recall raising this topic on here myself a few years back and I was suprised when a lot of people responded to say they would be happy to move to a new ground. 

I agree that the Valley is fine in its current state and probably wont need much done to it unless we become a consistent top 6 team in the prem. Even then Id rather just fill in the corners and rebuilt the JS if we need more capacity. 

• Options
    Rothko said:
    I just don't buy the idea for more then 32k seats at the Valley, where is this sudden flow of support going to come from, unless you buy into Richard Murray's constant nonsense about people moving to SE London and Kent willing to abandon their clubs and come flocking to the Valley. They might for one or two games a season, but you're not selling 20k season tickets to these people. 
    this - in the prem I've no doubt that (priced correctly) we could fill c32/35k for alot of games.....however Burnley at home on a Monday night in Feb might be slightly different ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9DA9
    edited February 2021
    Rothko said:
    There just needs to be better links to North Greenwich, and to Woolwich for Crossrail (which should be open within the TS timeline for promotion) if you can get a decent bus link to those two stations you take a load of pressure off Charlton station, you also get Valley Express running at the levels it used to. 
    Do what hotels do for airports, run round robin 3-4 shuttle coaches on each route to and from North Greenwich and Woolwich Arsenal up to and after games for 2 hours 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Just tidy up the south end of the stadium. Fill in the corners and make it a bit taller, like the Covered End, should take us to around 30,000 which is adequate.
    More like 34,000 i’d say?
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Obviously Rothko you know the area far better than I do and I agree with other available routes, but Charlton station with a full house and potentially more is trouble waiting to happen, just the entrances to the platforms with a lot of fans are totally outdated. 
  • Options
    C, remain at the Valley and get into the prem now and then.
    Moving to a new stadium is no guarantee of success let alone new fans, but will guarantee a drop in the number of current fans.
  • Options
    I saw the stadium that Slater was intending us to move to. Was fantastic. A. For me.
  • Options
    All things being equal there is no question that staying at The Valley is the way forward. The problem with that might come at the end of the lease if RD makes it financially much more viable to move to a new stadium.

Either way it's a question for much further down the line and only IF we ever get back to the Prem and establish ourselves there imo. 

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Option D) Remain at The Valley. Smash the Premier League and the Champions League on a regular basis. Buy-out all surrounding properties to expand capacity on all four sides. Harvey Gardens to become a tunnel leading to a huge underground car park, this to be affectionately known as The Pot Hole as a reminder of where we came from. Premier League day tippers? Yeah, there will be thousands of them. They'll be coming from across the globe to watch our scintilating football. But who cares? We'll be the biggest and best club in the world. Next task in this dream schedule of events, get the pitch playable for saturday. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Obviously Rothko you know the area far better than I do and I agree with other available routes, but Charlton station with a full house and potentially more is trouble waiting to happen, just the entrances to the platforms with a lot of fans are totally outdated. 
    yeah, so you need to shift people to where there is loads of capacity into London. The problems into north Kent and medway towns is where the investment in Valley Express could help. 

• Options
    new stadiums always mean no real money ( a relative term I know) being spent on the team for a good few years, like (e.g.) Arsenal, Bolton, Spurs .. heresy time ((:>)  .. even as a long term Addick, I have no real nostalgic affinity to the Valley .. IF the ground could be sold for a good profit and it was economically viable to construct a spanking new stadium on (say) the peninsula, then why not ?

On the other hand, is London getting 'over stadiumised' ? .. Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham, Brentford, Wimbledon all in new premises .. AND will Charlton Athletic F C have enough of a potential long term successful future to justify the expense and upheaval inherent in a change of house ? .. chicken and egg .. will success necessitate a change of ground, or will a new ground bring about success on the pitch ? .. answers on a postage stamp please
  • Options
    Could easy spend £100m on the Valley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    new stadiums always mean no real money ( a relative term I know) being spent on the team for a good few years, like (e.g.) Arsenal, Bolton, Spurs .. heresy time ((:>)  .. even as a long term Addick, I have no real nostalgic affinity to the Valley .. IF the ground could be sold for a good profit and it was economically viable to construct a spanking new stadium on (say) the peninsula, then why not ?

On the other hand, is London getting 'over stadiumised' ? .. Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham, Brentford, Wimbledon all in new premises .. AND will Charlton Athletic F C have enough of a potential long term successful future to justify the expense and upheaval inherent in a change of house ? .. chicken and egg .. will success necessitate a change of ground, or will a new ground bring about success on the pitch ? .. answers on a postage stamp please
    Not happening mate, we'll be in our box(not together of course) before this happens.
  • Options

Not happening mate, we'll be in our box(not together of course) before this happens.
    agreed, the cost alone would be prohibitive unless we're taken over by the Saudi wealth fund or the Sage of Omaha .. 
  • Options
      .. even as a long term Addick, I have no real nostalgic affinity to the Valley ..

IF the ground could be sold for a good profit and it was economically viable to construct a spanking new stadium on (say) the peninsula, then why not ?

But assuming The Valley was still leased, it wouldn't be our profit, it would be Roland's.

• Options

agreed, the cost alone would be prohibitive unless we're taken over by the Saudi wealth fund or the Sage of Omaha .. 
    Didnt know you were from the States @Sage
  • Options
    A - Valley.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
      .. even as a long term Addick, I have no real nostalgic affinity to the Valley ..

IF the ground could be sold for a good profit and it was economically viable to construct a spanking new stadium on (say) the peninsula, then why not ?

But assuming The Valley was still leased, it wouldn't be our profit, it would be Roland's.

very true .. I'm assuming that Sandy would have purchased the Valley before any move was mooted .. it's all hypothetical anyway .. 
  • Options

As long as it's an executive box...