Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*******Bowyer SIGNED 3 YEAR DEAL (page 27 onwards )******

Comments

• Options
    May still be the case that Lyle doesn't want to sign until he knows Lee is going to be his manager. If fans thing the club should pay Lee whatever he is asking, surely the same applied to Lyle. Both are.considered essential. The reality is everybody has an agent now and the new club boss was an agent so he knows all the dirty tricks and bluff. It's the way of the world today and with our club now in a higher league with vast amounts of money sloshing around everywhere, everyone gets greedy. Maybe not to cut off their nose, but they all want the most they can reasonably get. Let's just hope Lee is treated respectfully so that the business relationship with ESI can start off on the right footing.
    Correct....instead of assuming that it isn’t and that relationships are already in some way fractured!
  • Options
    Well let’s just say for arguments sake we were trying to sign Cullen...there is no way he will sign before Bowyer commits himself! 
  • Options
    Lee is upping the ante and who can blame him in the circumstances, given the predilection of new owners to change managers, the recent poor run of results, the sentiments expressed by Matt Southall in November and the way that Bowyer has been jerked around in the past by that imbecile Duchatelet. The position of the manager is, self-evidently, a very important consideration for potential new signings.

Lee is not short of animal cunning and nous, which is one of the many reasons we need him to continue with the great job he's doing.  

His statement that "Lyle wants me to sign a new contract" carries with it an inference that Taylor may be staying at the club and is a further pressure point. I particularly like Lee's punchline about putting a contract together this weekend, namely, that "Matt has told me that is what they will do."

Get it sorted !
  • Options
    Meanwhile, we still have not signed anybody despite Bowyer saying we would get 2 in this week.
  • Options
    Quite clear that both parties were prepared to wait until after the January window, however the picture changed once they realised that potential signings were going to be uncertain if Bow might not be staying.
    Interesting and somewhat encouraging that Taylor is of the same mindset.
    All round pleasing bit of news.

You are being very naive my friend if you think its as simple as that. A manager and an agent know full well the stability of the manager who wants to sign the player is a key factor in actually signing beyond a short-term deal.

This doesn't read good to me and i think people are downplaying. Bowyer has made it clear, publicly in the press, he wants a contract agreed in the next week. If it now isn't, we know things are not fully cohesive behind the scenes.

Bang on.  He may not have used the word 'demand' but he clearly felt the need to go to the press and essentially say the opposite to what his boss did in his recent interview.  Needs sorting, Bowyer, Gallen and JJ need and deserve new contracts and as soon as I heard MS say it would wait until end oj Jan my view was that the new owner is nervous of recent results, wants a month to see if they change before committing which I am guessing is Bowyers view too hence pressing now.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    There may well be concerns about the poor run that we've been on. New owners often bring in their own man, but in the early stages of the purchase process we were riding high, and re-signing Bowyer was a no brainer.  
    But now, after only one win in 14 or 15, it's possible doubts are being expressed?
    (If they are, I don't share them. I think Bowyer is the man.
    Two wins in 18 including the cup game 😟.
  • Options
    Lee Bowyer is an outstanding football manager. 

Lee Bowyer is quite happy to work with zero interference or involvement from the owner. 

Lee Bowyer is used to the above. 

Lee Bowyer is also financially independent and doesn't NEED this job to feed either his family or his ego.

I don't think he is the kind of person to be messed about with false promises and interference. 
  • Options
    Is there a press conference today? 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Apparently so... Im predicting it'll be between 1pm and 3pm
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I get the feeling Lee was happy to leave his own contract to after the window, simply to free up his and the clubs very busy schedule, but as the player negotiations have begun, it has become apparent that players are apprehensive or even totally put off signing. 
  • Options
    I thought Lyle was as good as gone, but hes asking if LB is staying????
  • Options
    Apparently so... Im predicting it'll be between 1pm and 3pm
    14:30pm
  • Options
    I get the feeling Lee was happy to leave his own contract to after the window, simply to free up his and the clubs very busy schedule, but as the player negotiations have begun, it has become apparent that players are apprehensive or even totally put off signing. 
    Body language, what gets said by both Southall and Bowyer and how its said will be key from todays press conference - Part of me wont be surprised if Lee comes out with something along the lines to how he responded to his "strange" comment on SKY

Dont forget this is a guy who looked delighted that the takeover was completed prior to Swansea (excited was a used he used), with the comments about the takeover going on since August and Southall persuading Bowyer to stay in November I'd be very surprised if things have turned sour that quickly
  • Options
    This. A lot can happen/change in a week.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

I remember an article before that mentioned Lyle won't sign a contract without knowing Bowyer's future. I don't think it's as black and white as people are making it out to be tbh.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Sounds like a question for LB at the press conference.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    We need to cast our attention to Bowyer's comments prior to the completion of the sale. Bowyer had talks with Southall then and said they were positive but also a bit weird/strange (I can't recall the exact word). Airman has later suggested this was a reference to his own contract. This tells us that Bowyer wants it sorted. It also suggests that Bowyer is not entirely happy with the ESI position on this.

Now let us try to put ourselves in Bowyer's shoes. Against all the odds he got us promoted and before the injury crisis, more than competing in the Championship. He rightly knows, as we do, how special this is. He was expecting to be rewarded by Duchatelet and him carrying on as manager went to the wire. He has had interest from other clubs that I am sure would be more lucrative than what he is currently on and despite our crisis, he has stuck with us to the potential detriment of his own career. He probably thinks we owe him big time, and again, he is probably right. He doesn't take kindly to having his position misrepresented and is willing to do the job elsewhere if he feels he is not being respected.

Now let us put ourselves in ESI's shoes. They probably don't have the appreciation of the scale of Bowyer's achievements whilst appreciating he has done a more than decent job. They have looked at a team losing every week and have a slight doubt whether he can turn it round whilst appreciating there has been an injury crisis, but whose fault is that? People have been explaining to them why Bowyer is so important, but the team has been losing every week and it is their money. Is it so unreasonable to want to see what Bowyer can do at this level with some backing? 

It is very worrying as this is such an important period. When you can understand both positions, in some ways it makes it worse as somebody will probably have to give. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    The next <insert time frame here> will be crucial
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Except that isn't what has happened. Bear in mind that if it was Lee could have gone to MS and said, "you know what, I've changed my mind. Let's do the deal now and it will be a nice surprise for the fans". Instead of which he has given the story to the local paper, knowing there is media stuff this afternoon, so that Southall has to respond to it publicly and if no deal is reached at the weekend the new administration will come under further pressure from fans to explain why not.

He is effectively saying to Southall: "Don't think you can take the piss."

Southall: We’ve met on a few occasions. We've had… we've had some good time together so I could kind of portray to him what our longterm ambitions are. That's important for him as well. You know he wants to know that the new ownership coming in are going in the right direction, have got got the right vision. I've spoken with his agent. And what we decided, for now, obviously being in January, is to focus on the playing side of things and try and tie that up after the window. I'm comfortable with that. And like I say I think the main thing for me is ensuring that the club stays in the Championship. And then obviously we can take each day as it comes from there.

So you're saying what Southall said in bold is a lie? Or since MS gave this interview, Bowyer has gone to Southall to get things done and he's been told no?
  • Options
    The club should sell tickets for the press conference. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Except that isn't what has happened. Bear in mind that if it was Lee could have gone to MS and said, "you know what, I've changed my mind. Let's do the deal now and it will be a nice surprise for the fans". Instead of which he has given the story to the local paper, knowing there is media stuff this afternoon, so that Southall has to respond to it publicly and if no deal is reached at the weekend the new administration will come under further pressure from fans to explain why not.

He is effectively saying to Southall: "Don't think you can take the piss."

Southall: We’ve met on a few occasions. We've had… we've had some good time together so I could kind of portray to him what our longterm ambitions are. That's important for him as well. You know he wants to know that the new ownership coming in are going in the right direction, have got got the right vision. I've spoken with his agent. And what we decided, for now, obviously being in January, is to focus on the playing side of things and try and tie that up after the window. I'm comfortable with that. And like I say I think the main thing for me is ensuring that the club stays in the Championship. And then obviously we can take each day as it comes from there.

So you're saying what Southall said in bold is a lie? Or since MS gave this interview, Bowyer has gone to Southall to get things done and he's been told no?
    I'm saying that the Bowyer didn't like Southall's version and wasn't prepared to let it stand publicly. Hence he has responded publicly, understanding the context and the questions it raises.

This will be about money - for Bowyer and for the transfer window. I have no way of knowing whether their offer to Bowyer is fair or not, but as Redhenry has intimated it appears the position on the squad hasn't changed materially from RD's ownership - hence the talk of the squad being good enough without the injuries.
  • Options
    Where are all the people saying "don't be negative and don't even think of asking any questions to the new owners"

One thing I am concerned about here is that if it does all go pear shaped, what really can we do? If the money is coming from Abu Dhabi, protests there are not going to work.
  • Options
    Well played by Bowyer, maximising his leverage! 
  • Options
    Where are all the people saying "don't be negative and don't even think of asking any questions to the new owners"

One thing I am concerned about here is that if it does all go pear shaped, what really can we do? If the money is coming from Abu Dhabi, protests there are not going to work.
    Who on earth has said that?
  • Options

Jeez lets not talk about protests just yet.