Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

*******Bowyer SIGNED 3 YEAR DEAL (page 27 onwards )******

Comments

• edited January 2020
    Lee probably wanted to have his say before Matt moves onto his Next interview today? sure journo's will pick up on these quotes, Matts going to get a baptism of fire.

Lee (et Al) does need a new contract, otherwise it will stop players joining, new players and management both need sorting out at the same time, hope fans are telling Matt on twitter.
  • Redhenry said:
    Main football priorities for ESI

1. Secure the services of Lee Bowyer
    2. Secure the services of Lyle Taylor
    3. Provide adequate finance to allow Gallen to sign sufficient manpower in Jan window to stay up.

I know it's only day seven but I would like to have seen some progress on this.  More important than making sugary PR videos and kissing babies. 
    I'm worried about the lack of money being offered to targets and Lyle. 
    Starting to believe you now, juries still out on this lot for me. Hoping to be proved wrong.
  • seems as if communication down the valley is still an issue. 

why they cant sort this out without it being said in a public interview i don't know. 
  • edited January 2020
    I am afraid this might mean that the new regime has lost confidence in Bowyer during the losing run, unfairly of course, unless there are things happening in the background we are unaware of. It will have to come to a head over the next few days in one of these ways.

1. Bowyer will get a contract and we will sign  new players
    2. Southall will announce Bowyer is leaving and a new manager is lined up to sign new players before the end of the month.

If neither happens the uncertainty will sabotage the transfer window and make us favourites for relegation.
  • It is intriguing. As it stands:
    ESI withdrew Lyle's offer. One of his requests was confirmation Bowyer was staying. ESI are not interested in tieing up Bowyer until after the window. They agreed it with his agent. But Bowyer wants his future sorted now.
    Someone's not telling the truth.
    It was Bow who wasn’t interested in tying up a deal until after the January window, ostensibly because he wanted to see how much he was backed in the transfer window.....perfectly understandable.
    However, it’s become clear that thought process was going to cause problems with potential targets.....once again perfectly understandable.
    Can’t understand people suggesting there’s some kind of a rift......some people aren’t happy without letting their doom and gloom attitudes from the last 5 years carry over to this new era. :/
  • Southbank said:
    I am afraid this might mean that the new regime has lost confidence in Bowyer during the losing run, unfairly of course, unless there are things happening in the background we are unaware of. It will have to come to a head over the next few days in one of these ways.

2. Southall will announce Bowyer is leaving and a new manager is lined up to sign new players before the end of the month.

If neither happens the uncertainty will sabotage the transfer window and make us favourites for relegation.
    I'm pretty sure that ESI know how the fanbase feel about Bow and the esteem he's held in, it wouldnt go down well if they decide to replace him this early in their tenure. Yes, they own the club and can do what they like but it would be the worst start they could have.
  • Quite clear that both parties were prepared to wait until after the January window, however the picture changed once they realised that potential signings were going to be uncertain if Bow might not be staying.
    Interesting and somewhat encouraging that Taylor is of the same mindset.
    All round pleasing bit of news.
     Quite clear how?
    You only heard from one party until today.

As I said, Charlton  as a club have known the importance of having you're manager tied up to help with transfer negotiations for years. Look at the Curbs years. This is not some new phenomenon.

Something not right here, especially as Bowyer has gone public with it all.
    I give up!
  • Sponsored links:

• Not good news IMO. Taylor not signed. Looking at RDs bottom of the bucket list.Won't meet Blackpools asking price of £500k.Bowye r not signed up and going to the press.

Didn't expect multi millions spent but didn't expect to still be bottom feeding and this shit.
  • The fact that bow has had to come out in the press and say this in this way is what's worrying me. 

Suggests everything is  ot harmonious behind the scenes. 

Need extra loud "Lee Bowyers red army" on saturday
    Exactly this. I felt uneasy at the way Southall talked about Bow's contract in his interview the other day, and the fact that it's now playing out in the press makes it clear to me that all is not well.
  • Matts time may have been better spent discussing a new contract with L.B. than having a drink with the Peterborough owner.
    I will probably be proved wrong when we sign one of their 'star' men.

• ESI have been around since August when we were flying on the crest of a wave. They took over to all intents and purposes during November when we were in the midst of an injury induced slump that has got worse since. Some of LBs tactics during that slump have been questioned on here. Although we all remain behind Lee and his team and hope for better days, there is no doubt that the flowers in the garden have wilted since ESI bought the house. It wouldn’t surprise me if Southall is thinking along the lines of “let’s just wait and see how this guy does with some new players and returnees) and then we’ll complete the contract.  All a bit naive of course but he’s new at this. Lee is just tweaking his tail now. I think it will all get sorted but obviously the relationship is as you would expect with a new boss. Just sussing each other out. We’ll see. 
  • Quite clear that both parties were prepared to wait until after the January window, however the picture changed once they realised that potential signings were going to be uncertain if Bow might not be staying.

You are being very naive my friend if you think its as simple as that. A manager and an agent know full well the stability of the manager who wants to sign the player is a key factor in actually signing beyond a short-term deal.

This doesn't read good to me and i think people are downplaying. Bowyer has made it clear, publicly in the press, he wants a contract agreed in the next week. If it now isn't, we know things are not fully cohesive behind the scenes.

My glass is half full, not half empty.
  • WSS said:
    Southbank said:

I'm pretty sure that ESI know how the fanbase feel about Bow and the esteem he's held in, it wouldnt go down well if they decide to replace him this early in their tenure. Yes, they own the club and can do what they like but it would be the worst start they could have.
    Something like that scenario would never happen with new ownership. 

It’s never happened in the past with a fan favourite and legend and it won’t in the future.
    Exactly. It will all be sorted.
  • Bowyer is right. He should be the main priority with regards to signing a contract. This then enables him to talk to potential new signings and say I am committed and this is our plan and want you to be part of it. Where as a player is thinking well If his contract runs out I might not be part of the new manager's plans 
  • Bowyer is flexing his muscles and don’t blame him, he knows he’ll be in demand but it’s clear he wants to commit to CAFC but wants that commitment from the new owners now, not at the end of the transfer window, probably partly selfishly (don’t blame him one jot) but also to get players in.

as it stands we don’t know what the future looks like, we don’t know what money the new owners are or aren’t putting in, we don’t know what they do or don’t own yet.

going to be an interesting couple of weeks.....
  • edited January 2020
    There may well be concerns about the poor run that we've been on. New owners often bring in their own man, but in the early stages of the purchase process we were riding high, and re-signing Bowyer was a no brainer.  

But now, after only one win in 14 or 15, it's possible doubts are being expressed?

(If they are, I don't share them. I think Bowyer is the man).

[Edit: Looks like ESI do too!]
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    There may well be concerns about the poor run that we've been on. New owners often bring in their own man, but in the early stages of the purchase process we were riding high, and re-signing Bowyer was a no brainer.  
    But now, after only one win in 14 or 15, it's possible doubts are being expressed?
    (If they are, I don't share them. I think Bowyer is the man.
    One question worth asking these owners is what the cost will be to them if we drop into League One? - Would it be a disaster because we'd have to start again or would it be a disaster because they dont have the means to put up a good enough fight to return to the Championship
  • JamesSeed said:
    (If they are, I don't share them. I think Bowyer is the man.
    One question worth asking these owners is what the cost will be to them if we drop into League One? - Would it be a disaster because we'd have to start again or would it be a disaster because they dont have the means to put up a good enough fight to return to the Championship
    Sadly you may be right. Not many managers survive a run like that in any circumstances. Southall may be thinking he needs a manager with proven credentials of keeping a club in the Championship.

• It was Bow who wasn’t interested in tying up a deal until after the January window, 
    It wasn't Bowyer who quoted that ................. JAT
  • What times the press conference? Should be fun
     Quite clear how?
    You only heard from one party until today.

As I said, Charlton  as a club have known the importance of having you're manager tied up to help with transfer negotiations for years. Look at the Curbs years. This is not some new phenomenon.

Something not right here, especially as Bowyer has gone public with it all.
    I give up!
    Sometimes the best policy! 
  • May still be the case that Lyle doesn't want to sign until he knows Lee is going to be his manager. If fans thing the club should pay Lee whatever he is asking, surely the same applied to Lyle. Both are.considered essential. The reality is everybody has an agent now and the new club boss was an agent so he knows all the dirty tricks and bluff. It's the way of the world today and with our club now in a higher league with vast amounts of money sloshing around everywhere, everyone gets greedy. Maybe not to cut off their nose, but they all want the most they can reasonably get. Let's just hope Lee is treated respectfully so that the business relationship with ESI can start off on the right footing.
  • A lot of admin to be done - someone call HE to help out on the front line 
  • And of course no other owners would let a contract situation drag on for a 10 days....