Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bryan Hughes Appreciation Thread

edited July 2007 in General Charlton
ermm. Oh yes the winning penalty at Chelski in the CCC and .... What I really appreciated was his interview on SkyTv when signing for Hull. I can't remember the exact words but it was something like 'As you'd expect there was interest from a number of Premiership clubs and about half the Championship one's, but once I had spoken to Hull City and seen their ambition there was only one Club I was going to sign for'. Yeah right Bryan. Now I appreciated that because it gave me a good laugh.

Comments

• Bit harsh this aint it? Always tried his hardest and you could see he was putting it in despite being a bit of a headless chicken. And the last minute diving header against Villa stands out in my mind.
  • Thanks for the goals against Palace and Villa.

Glad you've gone.
  • [cite]Posted By: Rorzzman[/cite]Bit harsh this aint it?

Agreed
  • I never had a problem with Hughes, yes he was a bit lightweight but other than that shocking pass that led to Morientes goal cant remember him doing anything that bad.

In fact I would go as far to say that I think we might have cocked up letting him leave for a Championship rival, the fella has played at the top level, difficult to replace that experience.
  • tried to play football the right way, may not have been the best but i really don't think you can fault him for effort despite how he maqy be perceived by many.

i also think that he would have been a good player for us at this level but i suppose Pards rates Reid above hughes he is.
  • Hughes wanted a 3 year contract - Pards offered him just one year.

31 year old family man, approaching the final few seasons of his career, was looking for a bit of job security.
    No brainer for Hughes really.

And I'll throw my hat into the ring.

Hughes could have been a regular and valuable member of our team this year.
    No doubt a bit lost in the Prem - but over a number of seasons, he's consistantly and effectively performed at this level.

Our loss.
  • Hardly a football Genius but would have been a reasonable player at Championship level. Seems strange we perservered with him whilst out of his depth then get rid when he could of actually made a difference. Funny old game this football.
  • shouldnt this been in the jokes column?
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Hardly a football Genius but would have been a reasonable player at Championship level. Seems strange we perservered with him whilst out of his depth then get rid when he could of actually made a difference. Funny old game this football.

very true !

i think career wise its the right move for him, and also the right one for us. He wouldn't let us down next season, but he wouldn't of took us forward either.
  • the night at Stamford Bridge is a big memory for all of us.

Thanks for that Bryan.
  • Sponsored links:

• we probably wouldn't have got through the first rounds of a lot of cup games. he wasn't too proud to put 100% in against lower league teams, (unlike some others) and therefore, usually saved our bacon from a 1st round exit on more than 1 occasion.

cheers bryan.
  • Always tried hard, but was too slow for the Prem really.

I'm sure he would've done a good job for us this year, but imagine wages and the length of any proposed contract were an issue for him and us.

Goals at the Valley against Brum (two years ago) and Villa (last year) stick in the memory, and he picked up the occasional assist for Darren too.

A guaranteed first scorer bet against us this year!!!
  • Don'y you just know it........
  • Bryan Hughes is quite possibly the most boring name in football. And boring names don't win you anything ...

To think. Yves Makaba-Makalamby has just gone to Hibs. He would have settled our keeper crisis whilst giving commentators everywhere recurring nightmares. What a wasted opportunity.
  • I keep muttering Djemba-Djemba....... or I am ever slightly going MAD.....?????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • And the urban myth went......Curbs sign this lad Sidwell siad Steve Brown not long after he went to Reading, but Curbs chose the 'safe' Bryan Hughes the summer after we had lost Parker. Not BHs fault good squad member who could not quite cut it at Premiership level but I feel would have made an excellent contribution at CCC. Good luck Bryan
  • AFKA hit it on the head. and oggy...djemba djemba is total shite plain and simple im afraid!
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Hardly a football Genius but would have been a reasonable player at Championship level. Seems strange we perservered with him whilst out of his depth then get rid when he could of actually made a difference. Funny old game this football.
    Indeed it is, I think he could have been very good for us, but probably still would not have been a guaranteed starter. Good luck Hughesie.

("Hughes he is" lol for those who remember!)
  • Hughes I very much appreciate that you have gone.
  • Hughes was a poor mans Graham Stuart and that is a compliment not a criticism.

I think he could have been a good creative midfielder in the Championship (we all know he lacked a little at Prem level) so I hope Pards has somebody up his sleeve to come in and fulfill that role.
  • Sponsored links:

• left in midfield we have Reid, Holland, Ambrose & Sam staying - which isn't at all bad, but we could do with Song.
  • Bryan Hughes is expected to sign for Athletic on loan.

Oldham Athletic.
  • I wonder who he'll be playing against in his first game!
  • Not so much appreciation but respect.

Tried his best for us and left for a club moving in the opposite direction.

Definitely a case of 'he who laughs last.'
  • Without players like Bryan & Kish we'd be alot worse off now..........
  • THAT corner was one of my only highlights in the Championship
  • Hughes has just had his contract at Hull terminated by mutual consent.
  • SIGN HIM UP!
  • as with most of our 'shittier' players from a few years back ...... they're much too good for us now ;-(
  • Haha *really* dont want him back though