Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket .. England in South Africa & Sri Lanka 2019/2020

Comments

• Options
    AshBurton said:
    I know everyone (i.e. just Leuth) has been waiting for this...
    https://www.burtonsblog.com/post/tales-of-the-good-the-bad-and-the-famous
    Great read and a new subscriber!
  • Options
    Second time in 2 days broad has got Philander before the barmy army has finished Jerusalem.

What a start.
  • Options
    Brad gets Rabada. This will be over in no time
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    You’d have thought so, wouldn’t you. 66 for the last wicket - getting annoying now!
  • Options
    Frustrating to watch. 
  • Options
    Me and my big hands. Serves me right for calling him "Brad"
  • Options
    AshBurton said:
    McBobbin said:
    You’d have thought so, wouldn’t you. 66 for the last wicket - getting annoying now!
    Correction - now 82 after that last Curran over. New 10th wicket record at PE. Not amused! 
  • Options
    Always looked the most likely way to get that last wicket. 
  • Options
    Good for SA to go down fighting, but an innings win away from home is always welcome
  • Options
    Run Out test cricket , send him to the gallows
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Love a run out. 
  • Options
    Good entertainment that last wicket stand!
  • Options
    You'd have to be a really churlish individual to not enjoy that 
  • Options
    The biggest barrier to England wining was the rain not SA.
  • Options
    What changes should England make for Johannesburg? 
  • Options
    Jofra Archer has been bowling in the practices during this match. Although he’s still wearing a protective bandage on his left elbow, he looked very quick today so it looks like he will be fit for Jo’burg. 

The question then becomes who to leave out. Harsh as it may seem after his 5 wickets in the first innings here, it may be Dom Bess under the “horses for courses” principle (and because spin could still be provided, if needed, by a mix of Root and Denly). 

The only other possible change would be Bairstow for Buttler, who had a poor match with bat and gloves. Rinse and repeat...
  • Options
    AshBurton said:
    Jofra Archer has been bowling in the practices during this match. Although he’s still wearing a protective bandage on his left elbow, he looked very quick today so it looks like he will be fit for Jo’burg. 

The question then becomes who to leave out. Harsh as it may seem after his 5 wickets in the first innings here, it may be Dom Bess under the “horses for courses” principle (and because spin could still be provided, if needed, by a mix of Root and Denly). 

The only other possible change would be Bairstow for Buttler, who had a poor match with bat and gloves. Rinse and repeat...
    I have banged on about Buttler not being an international keeper ever since he took the gloves and really do hope that we don't go down this road again. If Bairstow then has a good game the recall of Foakes will be unnecessarily delayed
    Agreed! 
  • Options
    Archer for Buttler, Pope keeps. Obviously.
  • Options
    Although...England going down a batsman when only needing a draw seems unlikely. But that attack with Archer would be amazing!

Given that SA can't play spin I'd be semi-tempted by Parkinson to add to Bess if it looks like a turner, but I'm a lone voice there I reckon
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Although...England going down a batsman when only needing a draw seems unlikely. But that attack with Archer would be amazing!

Given that SA can't play spin I'd be semi-tempted by Parkinson to add to Bess if it looks like a turner, but I'm a lone voice there I reckon
    All the talk is that we are harely gonna need one spinner so not sure we are likely to even consider going with 2.
  • Options
    No change for the next test. 
    If Foakes was available I'd play him instead of Butler. 
    As he's not available I'd leave the side as it is.
  • Options
    I'd fly him out there. but then I would have had him there from the start!
  • Options
    I'd fly him out there. but then I would have had him there from the start!
    Me too.
    He's head and shoulders our best keeper. 
    To continue rotating Butler and Bairstow makes no sence. 
  • Options
    And ... my final take from Port Elizabeth:
    https://www.burtonsblog.com/post/take-a-blow-joe

Weather is shocking today! Onto Jo’burg tomorrow.
  • Options
    AshBurton said:

You lucky *****

I'll be at the Valley tomorrow in the freezing cold watching us get battered mist likely. Care to swap? 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    AshBurton said:

So, as the man on the ground, what do you reckon you will be coming home from? A 3-1 win, a 2-2 draw, a comfortable 2-1, or a dodgy 2-1.
  • Options
    Score 499; bowl them out twice; win by an innings.  Three good reasons not to change the side.  
  • Options
    AshBurton said:

So, as the man on the ground, what do you reckon you will be coming home from? A 3-1 win, a 2-2 draw, a comfortable 2-1, or a dodgy 2-1.
    Got to go for the jugular! So 3-1 (or a comfortable 2-1 if the weather intervenes). Then again I’ve been wrong about England so many times before ...