Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket .. England in South Africa & Sri Lanka 2019/2020

Comments

• Options
    Pope outscoring Stokes, that is a rarity .. good day of proper test cricket .. spinner bowls 30 overs unchanged .. Root, take note
  • Options
    Pope and Stokes batted very sensibly - and at a  higher run rate than in the previous two sessions. Most importantly, we didn’t lose two late wickets like we normally do. England’s day for me, this won’t be an easy wicket to bat on later in this match. Would be nice if someone got at least 50 at some point though! 
  • Options
    A good old fashioned 1st days play.
    Slight advantage to England but only slight. 
    Enjoyed it.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Anyone know when Kent last had two players bat together in a test match?

It would have happened in the seventies but has it happened since then?
    Carl Hooper and Eldine Baptiste in the late 80s, @LenGlover, perhaps 

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Baptiste only played one Test after 1984 and that was in 1990. Hooper made his debut in 1987 and did play in that Test too but the Windies only had to bat once (it was against England!) and as Hooper was out for one they didn't actually bat together.
  • Options
    Think Baptiste was early 80s ...he played in the Kent league for a time 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Baptiste only played one Test after 1984 and that was in 1990. Hooper made his debut in 1987 and did play in that Test too but the Windies only had to bat once (it was against England!) and as Hooper was out for one they didn't actually bat together.
    Fair enough. I think I score 10 out of 10 for lateral thinking but 0 out of 10 for execution. Sounds like par for the course :smile:

• Options
    lolwray said:
    In his benefit year Sidcup played against a side he brought along. A friend of mine took two steps down the track and hit him over the Fire Station. To be fair, Baptiste took it well and didn't try to knock his head off next ball.
  • Options
    There can't have been too many batsmen like Denly who have batted in Test cricket 24 times with no hundreds and yet only been out in single figures in 3 of them:

He seems to doing the hard bit in getting in (15 of them are 20 plus) so is this a shot selection or concentration issue because ?
    MW Gatting career Test average versus Denly after 12 matches, now: 

Gatting Matches 12 Runs 446 Highest score 59 Average 22.19
    Denly Matches 12 Runs 720 Highest score 94 Average 31.30 

Gatting was one of England's all-time greats, despite a very slow start to his career.  He didn't make his first century until his 31st Test.  Denly is way ahead of him at this stage. 

• Options
    Enjoyed it.
    Must be me then as I'm sure teams used to score at more than 2.5 runs an over. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

According to Kent CCC Chris Cowdrey and Richard Ellison had a major partnership back in 1984 in Mumbai. It lasted 3 balls and was worth 1 run.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    There can't have been too many batsmen like Denly who have batted in Test cricket 24 times with no hundreds and yet only been out in single figures in 3 of them:

He seems to doing the hard bit in getting in (15 of them are 20 plus) so is this a shot selection or concentration issue because ?

Gatting was one of England's all-time greats, despite a very slow start to his career.  He didn't make his first century until his 31st Test.  Denly is way ahead of him at this stage. 

Gatting was a good player, but I don't think an all time great he could eat the biggest lunch though
  • Options
    Enjoyed it.
    Must be me then as I'm sure teams used to score at more than 2.5 runs an over. 
    Not exactly. 
    But they used to bowl far more than 90 overs a day.
    Hence more runs. 
  • Options
    England slightly ahead? The game was won as soon as the coin came down right for Root. Neither of these teams has the firepower to dominate batting second. If England don't win this game convincingly I'll be utterly amazed, although I suppose a draw isn't out of the question. 

Enjoying Joe Denly's top-order-collapse-prevention brief, but he'll need to start converting some more of these into forties at some point 
  • Options
    Some further thoughts on today, should these be of interest:
    https://www.burtonsblog.com/post/saved-from-the-curate-s-egg

• Options
    Chizz said:

Gatting was a good player, but I don't think an all time great he could eat the biggest lunch though
    In my book, any player who regains the Ashes as captain is definitely and all-time great.  Especially if his brother goes on to play for Charlton. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Agreed. Although probably would have won us the World Cup if it wasn’t for one stupid shot. 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    In his benefit year Sidcup played against a side he brought along. A friend of mine took two steps down the track and hit him over the Fire Station. To be fair, Baptiste took it well and didn't try to knock his head off next ball.
    Your friend is a braver man than me ...
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

In my book, any player who regains the Ashes as captain is definitely and all-time great.  Especially if his brother goes on to play for Charlton. 

Test batting ave 35
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    lolwray said:
    Your friend is a braver man than me ...
    He is actually my best friend who I talk to virtually every day (we discuss the day's sport including the racing). He had, when he played, the nickname of "God" at Sidcup as he was one of those annoying people who was seemingly good at any sport he turned his hand to - not just cricket but athletics, table tennis, hockey even darts and pool.

When he batted he had all the time in the world and if he had wanted it he could have been a pro. But he was almost embarrassed about his ability so much so that he would deliberately walk past one or chip it into mid wicket'd when he felt the time was right to get out. And that's why his stats don't reflect his ability.

Some might argue, me included, that it was a complete waste of talent but he just didn't have the desire to do anything other than enjoy playing the game and didn't have a competitive bone in his body. That said, he's been a great help to my son, Seb, with his cricket especially as he is the complete opposite of his overbearing and somewhat demanding Dad!!!

I'm sure if you mention our exchange to Brian Smith next time you see or speak to him he will know exactly who I am referring to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bravo Ash - a very lucid, sensible and informative write-up! And I'm not just playing curate to your 3rd XI captain...
  • Options
    Doesn't look like Moeen will be playing tests for the foreseeable.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jan/16/england-moeen-ali-scapegoat-test-cricket
  • Options
    Doesn't look like Moeen will be playing tests for the foreseeable.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jan/16/england-moeen-ali-scapegoat-test-cricket
    Hes right to be fair, has been a definite scapegoat. 

I have criticised because he isn't good enough as a test match spinner. But it's not his fault he has been tasked with that either. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    England slightly ahead? The game was won as soon as the coin came down right for Root. Neither of these teams has the firepower to dominate batting second. If England don't win this game convincingly I'll be utterly amazed, although I suppose a draw isn't out of the question. 

Enjoying Joe Denly's top-order-collapse-prevention brief, but he'll need to start converting some more of these into forties at some point 
    I'm thinking the opposite. We dont have a quality spinner & we love a batting collapse .Expect us to be all out for under 320 tomorrow & for SA to get a smallish lead.
  • Options
    Day 2. Grr. 

• Options
    I know South Africa needs rain, but it could have held off for a few more weeks. No play in prospect for the moment. 
  • Options
    For once, I'm enjoying a rain delay. Very interesting conversation among Rob Key, Nick Knight and Dawid Malan about batting technique v spinners.
  • Options
    Day 2. Grr. 

If you see someone wearing a very fashionable 1998 Play Off Final cap, please say hello! 
  • Options
    AshBurton said:
    Day 2. Grr. 

If you see someone wearing a very fashionable 1998 Play Off Final cap, please say hello! 
    Will do. Currently sat in front of where the trumpet just played Jerusalem. Will move around I’m sure. Enjoying an end of aisle seat for now. Straw hat on lap. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

If Denly carries on as he is I absolutely guarantee that he will not reach 31 Tests. He is playing very much as someone who isn't confident about his place and is taking the "safe" route to reach 30. It is when he tries to step on the gas that he gets out and his reluctance to play shots that would get him off strike might well be his undoing.

I'm certainly not saying that he will be dropped imminently but, for example, let's say Crawley and Sibley do well in the rest of this series and in Sri Lanka and Denly carries on being 30 and out, who is the vulnerable one for a returning Burns?

One could certainly argue that Burns should have to wait but he has three advantages over the current top 3 and specifically Denly - an average of 47.22 in his last 5 Tests against Australia, NZ and SA respectively and the important fact that he is left handed. All our current top 4 are right handed and only Stokes of our top 7 bats the other way. The final advantage is age - Denly is almost 34 and Burns is more than 4 years his junior.

Which brings me on to your comparison with Mike Gatting as he was 20 when he made his debut not 33. He had time on his side and had to wait 'til he was 27 to get that hundred. As has Pope who is destined to be England's no. 3 for many years to come, albeit not before he is ready to assume that position.

I really want Denly to do well and he is doing a very good job for now but he has to take his game to the next stage sooner rather than later especially if he gets a few single digit scores with no big ones to offset them.