Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Help! Placement of TV in living room

Having a house built.
Can't decide if I want the TV placed centrally in the living room (as the attached original plan), or if it should be centered just on the wall.
By centering it on the wall, I guess we would be able to move all the furniture down and therefore create more space.

ORIGINAL:

ALTERNATIVE:

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2019
    First World Problems
  • Options
    First World Problems
    Pretty important, as cabling is being done shortly, before walls go up.
  • Options
    Are the white rectangles seating?
    if so surely put as per top plan?
  • Options
    Top view would worry if someone cutting the corner would hit the tele.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Depends on if the opening at the bottom are windows or a full height opening that allows access to the outside. If the former, then move it. If the latter, stick with the original plan.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Are the white rectangles seating?
    if so surely put as per top plan?
    Yes, they are seating. These can easily be moved however.
  • Options
    Top view would worry if someone cutting the corner would hit the tele.
    Good point. It would be wall mounted though, so they should be very clumsy.
  • Options
    Is it normal to sit on a heat pump?
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Is it normal to sit on a heat pump?
    Heat pump is on the wall, fairly close to the ceiling.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    is that plan out of proportion? You’ve got what I assume to be bi-fold patio doors at the top which implies the room is a decent size but a sofa, coffee table and two chairs that imply the room is a tad on the cosy side. Either way, you’re probably going to get pissed off watching tv in the summer if the set is on one wall and the sofa is against the opposite one because you are going to have daylight in the periphery of your sight line from both sides with the patio doors on the left and the window on the right. You probably also wouldn’t want to be the persons sitting in either chair watching tv. How big is the man cave tv, is it planned to be a small one like that as well ?

• Options
    Top one
  • Options
    Turn chairs to face that big window and jog the tv on
  • Options
    Top one definitely.

Symmetry is far more important for the room as a whole, rather than the wall.
  • Options
    is that plan out of proportion? You’ve got what I assume to be bi-fold patio doors at the top which implies the room is a decent size but a sofa, coffee table and two chairs that imply the room is a tad on the cosy side. Either way, you’re probably going to get pissed off watching tv in the summer if the set is on one wall and the sofa is against the opposite one because you are going to have daylight in the periphery of your sight line from both sides with the patio doors on the left and the window on the right. You probably also wouldn’t want to be the persons sitting in either chair watching tv. How big is the man cave tv, is it planned to be a small one like that as well ?

Size of living room is 4m x 5m, so definitely not big.
    Man cave? In my dreams. It’s a super compact double storey house with 5 bedrooms on 146m2. No space for a man cave.
    In regards to sunlight and TV issues, we’ll have blinds to sort out the issue. Not that often we would be watching TV during the daytime in the summer anyway, but I hear what you say.
  • Options
    put i on the wall with an extending bracket so that you can reposition when you need to
  • Options
    I would go with what gives you the most space. 
  • Options
    Option B
  • Options
    put i on the wall with an extending bracket so that you can reposition when you need to
    I hear you, but I don’t like the look of those kind of brackets.
  • Options
    Generally speaking, where possible a TV should not face towards a window/windows......thus avoiding the glare of sunlight/daylight.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    robroy said:
    And that’s option B, so I think I’ve made a decision. Thanks for the inputs.
    Now for the new owner announcement (please)
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    robroy said:
    And that’s option B, so I think I’ve made a decision. Thanks for the inputs.
    Now for the new owner announcement (please)
    Of your TV? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Generally speaking, where possible a TV should not face towards a window/windows......thus avoiding the glare of sunlight/daylight.  
    It won’t be facing windows directly either.
  • Options
     Not sure why you’re worried mate, the boss will make the final decision anyway 😉
  • Options
    jamescafc said:
     Not sure why you’re worried mate, the boss will make the final decision anyway 😉
    This one I’ll actually win, mate. Believe it or not.

Me and the kids are trying to sell her the idea of an ultra-short throw projector in the office upstairs...that won’t be easy.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    What is this... A house for ants? It needs to be at least three times bigger than this
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Danepak said:
    We've got one that holds a 65 incher and it's great.
    Unless you literally mean the look of it, as you can't get them flush to the wall.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Danepak said:
    We've got one that holds a 65 incher and it's great.
    Isn’t it pushing the TV quite far away from the wall, when when it’s not turned in an angle?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    What is this... A house for ants? It needs to be at least three times bigger than this
    It’s a house for ants, yes.
  • Options
    Option B for me. I think you'll prefer the cosier feel of being tucked further into the space.