Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conveyancing Advice

Not done this for a while and have heard that it can be like everything else a bit hit and miss. 

Anyone got any recommendations to ease the inevitable stress ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    Are you getting a solicitor or trying to do it yourself (which I would never do as there can be far too many complications ? 
  • Options
    A solicitor but I have heard that it’s a lottery if they are any good.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Up to a point I would say it is.
    You can pay top dollar or go cheaper and there's a reasonable chance imo, that the service will be similar.
    It may depend how urgent the transaction is and how "fussy" you are on wanting to speak to a solicitor as opposed to relying on leaving a message on their website and wait for a reply.
  • Options
    Thank you. I’m not overly fussy I don’t think but I do want to have enquires dealt with promptly and know that the works getting done.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    There are loads of advice sites and loads of comparison sites. I took a chance and chose one that was cheap when I sold the mother in law's place last year.
    It was all dealt with by post & electronically as they were based in Dartford.
    I can give you the details, but I wouldn't say I recommend them, because they weren't perfect, but as we said I suspect you could pay twice as much for the same level of service.
    Point is they got the job done, I reckon they could have done it quicker and it was very difficult to actually speak to them, but I don't think you can ever get hold of a solicitor easily.
    https://moneysupermarket.utdgroup.com/conveyancing/Details.aspx#
  • Options
    Thanks again. I’ll check it out
  • Options
    Have used Kirk & Partners in Eltham a couple of times. Fair price and happy with the service. Don't get to speak to the solicitor all that much though, largely done through their assistant.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I used these https://www.nbmlaw.co.uk/contact.htm.
    They got the job done on time. I just thought there was a bit of a delay when a solicitor went on holiday & they use paraplanners I believe to keep the cost down, with a solicitor overseeing/doing some of the work. 
    They were no completion no fee and although there were small extras less than £100, they were all specified correctly.
  • Options
    Have pm'd you Dave
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ha forgot I made that thread but took the advice on Kirk & Partners.
  • Options
    Houses are a lot easier to shift than flats. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Have used Kirk & Partners in Eltham a couple of times. Fair price and happy with the service. Don't get to speak to the solicitor all that much though, largely done through their assistant.
    I used this lot 5 years ago when we were extending the leasehold term on my Dad’s property. We needed to sell the property to help towards his care home fees. He had let the lease term go below 40 years and it is difficult for buyers to get a mortgage on leasehold properties with that length remaining on the lease. We had a good agent helping us negotiate the price with the crown estates for extending the leasehold by another 99 years. However, am afraid Kirk & Partners did not cover themselves in glory with their work on this transaction. We had a cash buyer lined up to buy the property subject to the leasehold extension being approved. Kirk & Partners showed no proactivity all along the way and I continually had to push them to get things done.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    I used this lot 5 years ago when we were extending the leasehold term on my Dad’s property. We needed to sell the property to help towards his care home fees. He had let the lease term go below 40 years and it is difficult for buyers to get a mortgage on leasehold properties with that length remaining on the lease. We had a good agent helping us negotiate the price with the crown estates for extending the leasehold by another 99 years. However, am afraid Kirk & Partners did not cover themselves in glory with their work on this transaction. We had a cash buyer lined up to buy the property subject to the leasehold extension being approved. Kirk & Partners showed no proactivity all along the way and I continually had to push them to get things done.
    Leading back to my original point that I think the vast majority are not proactive and you have to chase them all to get things done.
    So on that basis is there any point paying top dollar for the same service. 
    I may be wrong, just my thoughts.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    If one British institution needs nationalising it is the Crown Estates. Unless I am mistaken, no comparison to other organisations in the world.

I used to live near Fergie and Andrews gaff, Tesco Towers, an unsightly monstrosity allowed to be built in green belt land (don't get me started) then allowed to become derelict before one of his paedo mates bought it for twice its value.

Large swathes of Windsor Great Park now deny access to public. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Fair enough, can't say I really had to push them either time. First sale had to be completed quite quickly as the buyer needed it done before a certain date to avoid a rise in stamp duty. They got it done.
    I guess most solicitors will have a mixture of positive and negative reviews.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Leading back to my original point that I think the vast majority are not proactive and you have to chase them all to get things done.
    So on that basis is there any point paying top dollar for the same service. 
    I may be wrong, just my thoughts.
    Agreed. I am afraid I have found the service provided by provincial solicitors quite poor in recent years. Aside from the example above, over the past 3 years I have dealt with 3 other law firms and had issues with all three. I honestly don’t think the issue was the common factor, I.e. me!

• Options
    I used Conveyancing Index which is a bit like a comparison site for conveyancing. The service by them was good, but the actual Solicitors I picked on ratings (Gorvins), have been awful for me. Obviously that's my experience, others probably had better.

If you pick the ones the estate agent recommends, whilst they might be a bit more expensive due to commission the EA gets, they can sometimes ask more questions directly and do more work and chasing for you as they know the solicitors.

In theory they can be based anywhere (I.e. not local to you) as it can all be done by email and post.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Just don’t choose the cheapest one you find on a comparison site. I did when I bought my first place 10 years ago and regretted it immensely when it took about three times longer than it should have done.

Used the estate agent recommended one last time round (18 months ago) and it was a much better experience, EA was able to help get things done quickly and only cost £100 more (50% of which I’m sure went to the EA).
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Just don’t choose the cheapest one you find on a comparison site. I did when I bought my first place 10 years ago and regretted it immensely when it took about three times longer than it should have done.

Used the estate agent recommended one last time round (18 months ago) and it was a much better experience, EA was able to help get things done quickly and only cost £100 more (50% of which I’m sure went to the EA).
    Working in the Finance Dept of a Solicitors the only payments made to Estate Agents are those the Client is contractually obliged to make.

Using a local Solicitor isn’t necessary in this day and age. And using a Solicitor recommended by an Estate Agent can be a double edged sword. On the one hand it could be a Solicitor they think is good and they like dealing with but on the other they could be a golfing pal, a relative etc and are just pushing business their way as a favour.

Definately steer clear of internet based conveyancing companies. They are cheaper for a reason and you will never be able to get hold of them to speak to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I now work for a firm of solicitors, if you inbox me I'll give you the name. Based in Chelmsford. Not the cheapest, but strive for decent service instead. Not been there long enough to offer mates rates though! But do shop around, crap lawyers are a pain (my dad was a solicitor, and we did our moves through him. Normally done by a senior partner in the property department because the minions didn't want to do a freebie because if targets innit!)
  • Options
    Have pm'd you Dave
    Lol, did anybody else read this imagining Triggers voice?