Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A bit of advice please

2»

Comments

• JaShea99 said:
    So I don’t even understand the point in the thread then.
    Never mind. I thought it was very straightforward, but honestly, if you don't understand, don't worry.
  • How bizarre, no offence CE I assume you are old school? Not that I will just post my details on here like others have done , but I don't see how anyone will be able to do anything with it. The details provided for a Bank transfer aren't like your card number or anything which means you could be at risk for fraud. Literally all it will allow is for someone to send you money, nothing more, essentially more straight forward than paypal.

Maybe I am missing something here?

They've been friends since the age of 5.
    He would know all his personal information.
    You can be friends with someone but not trust them.
    I could tell so many stories about this guy, like the time he nicked a bus from New Cross garage to drive home.
  • Chizz said:
    One of my mates lent another mate some money over the years, £10 here £20 there etc.
    He may have lent/given him £200/£500 quite honestly he has no idea.
    Anyway the borrower has always been/is a ducker & diver with drug issues etc, but says he wants to repay the money.
    So the lender has asked me whether I think it's a good idea for him to give out his bank details.
    I was wondering about paypal and although I have it, have only used it a couple of times so don't fully understand it.
    Cash in hand is difficult due to the ducker & divers time keeping etc.
    Thanks
    Can't he just ask for a cheque?  (Or, if the borrower doesn't have a cheque book, a counter cheque). 
    I've tried to explain what this guy is like, but many don't seem to be able to digest this.
    Ask him for a cheque lol.
  • JaShea99 said:
    Never mind. I thought it was very straightforward, but honestly, if you don't understand, don't worry.
    Seems like I’m not the only one. Hope you got the advice you were after, although it doesn’t look like it.
  • JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    Seems like I’m not the only one. Hope you got the advice you were after, although it doesn’t look like it.
    Yes, I did in the very first post. I suggested paypal and bobmunro agreed.
    I wish people actually read the posts.
  • So you answered your own question in the first post. As I said, I don’t see the point of the thread.
  • Chizz said:
    One of my mates lent another mate some money over the years, £10 here £20 there etc.
    He may have lent/given him £200/£500 quite honestly he has no idea.
    Anyway the borrower has always been/is a ducker & diver with drug issues etc, but says he wants to repay the money.
    So the lender has asked me whether I think it's a good idea for him to give out his bank details.
    I was wondering about paypal and although I have it, have only used it a couple of times so don't fully understand it.
    Cash in hand is difficult due to the ducker & divers time keeping etc.
    Thanks
    Can't he just ask for a cheque?  (Or, if the borrower doesn't have a cheque book, a counter cheque). 
    I've tried to explain what this guy is like, but many don't seem to be able to digest this.
    Ask him for a cheque lol.
    He can't pay cash, so he wants the guy's bank details.  I assumed, therefore, he has a bank account (otherwise, what would he need it for?).  If he has a bank account, he can write a cheque.  If he can't do that, then he can write a counter cheque.  No?  

That's the second-best bit of advice I can give.  The best being to stop lending him any more money, if it's so hard for him to pay back. 
  • edited December 2019
    I'll send the loanee my bank details, and then I'll ping the loaner the payment via PayPal.
  • edited December 2019
    ...as long as i can have a go on loanee's brown
  • Sponsored links:

• Covered end, I understand your situation. Eg. the person isn't very reliable. Regardless how far back they go, the bank would never provide any information based on account details and sort code. I have been best mates with someone similar time but if he gave me his account number and sort code (which he has done before) I wouldn't be able to hack into his account.

I understand the dilemma/ mistrust here but I don't see no other way just provide bank details. Ideally that will be sorted, if there is anything of the back of it eg. Theft/Fraud, report it to the police whoever it is.

My main point is saying based on the Account number/ Payee and sort code I don't think anyone will be able to hack into his account. For example, if I log onto my online banking, I have a different number altogether to get into, unique reference. If someone has tried to get this or hack into it inevitably you will get a call or an email advising someone has tried to reset password.

• edited December 2019
    My final post on the subject.
    My friends have been best mates since the age of 5, when they grew up together on the Pepys Estate Deptford.
    One is a pretty straight forward guy.
    The other is a "legend" a larger than life character, who will get into more situations in a year, than the vast majority will in a lifetime.
    You'll arrange to meet in a pub and if he's there at all, he will be so pissed he would hardly acknowledge you.
    The guy is a lovable rogue, but also totally unreliable and somewhat of a walking disaster.
    If you've never known someone like that, then I appreciate you wouldn't understand.
    My straight forward mate has given him a bit of money 10's, 20's here and there over many years.
    He's never wanted it back.
    The "legend" is offering (saying he will) to give him some money as my straightforward mate is struggling a bit financially.
    However, he wasn't sure whether he should give him his bank details and asked what I thought.
    I hope that is clear to anyone that cares. Thanks.

• My final post on the subject.
    My friends have been best mates since the age of 5, when they grew up together on the Pepys Estate Deptford.
    The other is a "legend" a larger than life character, who will get into more situations in a year, than the vast majority will in a lifetime.
    You'll arrange to meet in a pub and if he's there at all, he will be so pissed he would hardly acknowledge you.
    The guy is a lovable rogue, but also totally unreliable and somewhat of a walking disaster.
    If you've never known someone like that, then I appreciate you wouldn't understand.
    My straight forward mate has given him a bit of money 10's, 20's here and there over many years.
    The "legend" is offering (saying he will) to give him some money as my straightforward mate is struggling a bit financially.
    However, he wasn't sure whether he should give him his bank details and asked what I thought.

I don't understand why you keep focusing on the bloke in question, take it out of the equation completely.

X owes me money, I do not know X, However I can give him bank details, money sorted ideally

X might know lots of stuff eg. personal which could help gaining access but pretty sure they wont be able to. However the fail safe if that were to ever happen go to the police.

I do get what you are saying Covered, but the initial question is about banking and repayment (if he actually pays). All have my responses have been around this yet you continue to point out their relationship, why you are sceptical. Although valid reasons but in this day and age your bank will protect you.

Hopefully your friend gets some money back (considering he has never asked for this) which will be great. Good luck to them.

• Nigel Farage swears by PayPal. 

I don't understand why you keep focusing on the bloke in question, take it out of the equation completely.

X owes me money, I do not know X, However I can give him bank details, money sorted ideally

X might know lots of stuff eg. personal which could help gaining access but pretty sure they wont be able to. However the fail safe if that were to ever happen go to the police.

I do get what you are saying Covered, but the initial question is about banking and repayment (if he actually pays). All have my responses have been around this yet you continue to point out their relationship, why you are sceptical. Although valid reasons but in this day and age your bank will protect you.

Hopefully your friend gets some money back (considering he has never asked for this) which will be great. Good luck to them.

I have worked in banking/financial advising all my life.
    I have a lifetime's experience dealing with fraudsters, running into millions of pounds.
    The aim is to get the money securely and not give out the bank details.
    I thought Paypal did this and bobmunro confirmed this in the very first post (thanks bob).
    The guy would not only know all his personal details, he would then additionally have his bank details.
    I know for a fact that would open up possibilities to defraud.
    Whilst my friend may be able to go to the police if he was defrauded it wouldn't be my recommendation.
    Nor would it be ideal that the bank may reimburse him if he was defrauded by someone he willingly gave his bank details to.
    Why would I recommend, "give him your bank details, because if you're defrauded you can always go to the police and the bank might pay you back as well". PS the police would possibly take no action.
  • If you both get Monzo accounts, he could pay from his phone. Not sure how easy get the account would be for him though.
  • *bangs head against brick wall

I'm out!

• *bangs head against brick wall

I'm out!

Ditto :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Just to clarify, no one can get access to your account with just name, address, account number and sort code, even if they do know your mum's maiden name. Every time you write a cheque (if anyone still does that is) your full name, your full address, your account number and sort code is printed on it for all to see, along with your signature and, as far as I'm aware, no one has ever been knocked with just that information. Unless, he has already given him other sensitive information in that past that is
  • The other way to look at it is, let him keep the £200 / £300 and don't talk to him again. By the sounds of it, it would be the best £200 / £300 he's ever spent
  • The other way to look at it is, let him keep the £200 / £300 and don't talk to him again. By the sounds of it, it would be the best £200 / £300 he's ever spent
    At last!
    The bloke may be a legend but also just a ponce.
    fuck him off.
  • There's many great advice threads on Charlton life, this is not one of them 

Well it cant be elfsborg as the blokes offering to pay the money back 
  • Talal said:
    If it's PayPal just make sure payment is sent as a gift rather than for goods/services. Can be claimed back otherwise.
    And PayPal don't get a fee from gifts.
  • cafcpolo said:
    JaShea99 said:
    I’m so confused. Why can’t he just pay him in cash?
    I've already said the guy is a ducking & diving heroin addict. He's totally unreliable.
    He wouldn't arrange a sensible location at a reasonable time and even if he did he probably wouldn't turn up.
    Plus they don't live particularly close to each other.
    PS thanks Polo, I've just completed my xmas shopping, very generous of you :smile:
    Haha, no worries.
    Doesn't look like you've spent that much...I assume the years grinder subscription was for yourself? ;)
    He says it’s for a friend.
  • If you can't trust him to meet up with cash, what makes you think he'll transfer it over? 
  • If you can't trust him to meet up with cash, what makes you think he'll transfer it over? 

lol read 2 above your post, he has sent £100 via paypal. Maybe its just a temporary thing to remind him next time he needs to borrow his next £10-£20