Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Spurs sack Pochettino / Mourinho appointed

Comments

• Kap10 said:
    It is a gift that Levy can sack Pochettino and then complete negotiations with Mourinho and his advisers within a matter of a few hours.

Football can be such an honourable game at times,
    Sky reckon talks have been going on for weeks.
    He was pictured in the directors box as a guest of Levy about 6 weeks ago.  Cant remember what game it was but he was definitely there.  They showed it on the tellybox at the time.
  • edited November 2019
    Anyone would think they had him already lined up and contract agreed before getting rid of Pochettino!

The good news for Spurs fans is there's no way he'd agree to go there unless he was given a pretty decent transfer budget.
    If you're giving him money why the he'll wouldn't you have given some to Poch!!!

I don't think Levy trusted Pochettino to spend big even if he gave him the money to do so.

Especially during his early days he made some really good signings at what has proven to be snips in the shape of Trippier (£3.5m), Dele Ali (£5m), Dier (£4m), Davies (£10m), Alderweireld (£11.5m) and Son (£22m). These have all either done on a decent job or in the case of several of them been major successes albeit that the form for one or two has dipped in the last couple of seasons.

Others since though have been poor to varying degrees - Wimmer (£4.3m), N'Jie (£8.3m), Wanyama (£11m), Janssen (£17m), Mbida (£11m), Sissoko (£30m), Sanchez (£42m), Aurier (£23m), Moura (£25m), Llorente (£12m), Sessegnon (£25m) and NDombele (£54m). 

Leicester have conceded just 8 goals in 12 League games this season with their CB partnership of Evans (£3m) and Soyuncu (£19m) being ever present. So you don't have to spend big. But it seems that Levy lost trust in Pochettino to spend a penny!
  • desperate Levy appoints the wrong manager .. he blew it on the return to Chelsea and was a disaster at Manchester United .. Jose is yesterday's man, if not the day before yesterday's man
  • I’m scared , the pain of Liverpool winning things will be ten fold if Spurs ever win anything .
    As bad as Jose has become he does win things .
    ok I’ll give em the League Cup and maybe the FA Cup but anything more and the unbearableness of spurs fans will have me cheering on the scousers , that’s how bad it would be if any success went their way .
    Not a fan then?
  • Thanks to Johnboy for his additional insight in to spurs , as much as I don’t like em it’s good to have some more meat to the bones 
  • Poor old @JohnBoyUK.

Charlton have sacked managers in the past and replaced them with Belgian Sunday league fodder or Scouse Butlins red coats.

Tottenham have sacked their manager and replaced him with one of the most successful managers alive!

Feel for you buddy.
    This is the thing though isn't it.  

Part of me thinks, 'fuck me, Mourinho, we've actually signed Mourinho, at last, a serial winner' and then the other part of me thinks 'fuck me, its Mourinho'.  Mental doesnt come close.

No doubt he'll sort us out but it'll all end in tears at some point.
    Levy being Levy only giving him a 3 years contract...so he's got an escape route after the usual 2 year implosion!
  • Cant help but feel Mourinho is a busted flush at the highest level, not sure that top players respond to his approach any longer - his sudden failures at Utd and Chelsea, would seem to illustrate that.

Having said that he seems to do better with 'challenger' clubs such as Inter, Porto and Chelsea (1st time round), where he can play the underdog card, and basically build up a bit of a siege mentality.

Wouldn't feel too sorry for Poch (though I like him a lot), with several high profile jobs coming up this summer (RM, Barca, Bayern, Man Utd and even Arsenal) - I am sure that he will be back on the madhouse soon enough!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2019
    All this bollocks about poor Pochettino being ham struck by lack of money given to him to buy players is just errrr, bollocks. 

2019/20 Ndembele £54m Sessegnon £24.3m Lo Celso £14.4m loan fee Clarke £9.9m 

2018/19 None 

2017/18 Sanchez £36m Moura £25.56m Aurier £22,5m Llorente £13.59m Foyth £11.7m 

2016/17 Sissoko £31.5m Janssen £19.8m Wanyam £12.96m N'Koudou £9.9m Lopez £1m loan fee
  • Win win for Jose.He already stated "he ONLY had a £300 million transfer fund" at Moan Utd so he has his excuse planned for failure already.

He don't give a shi t about youth and development so maybe we might be able to get a player or two on loan
  • Levy + over budgeted stadium + Jose = not good times ahead for the Spurs.
  • I have a very unhappy hubby.
    Feel for you Johnny.
  • Addickted said:
    All this bollocks about poor Pochettino being ham struck by lack of money given to him to buy players is just errrr, bollocks. 

2019/20 Ndembele £54m Sessegnon £24.3m Lo Celso £14.4m loan fee Clarke £9.9m 

2018/19 None 

2017/18 Sanchez £36m Moura £25.56m Aurier £22,5m Llorente £13.59m Foyth £11.7m 

2016/17 Sissoko £31.5m Janssen £19.8m Wanyam £12.96m N'Koudou £9.9m Lopez £1m loan fee
    You have to look at transfers out to balance this though
    Walker £50m, Trippier £20m, Chadli £13m, Mason £13m, Benteleb £16m and others 

His net expenditure has been pretty low.
  • levy and Mourinho could be fun this one!!!!
  • Does anyone know if they’ve contracted smiley, happy Mourinho from Chelsea (first spell) or that morose nob-end who was sacked by Man Utd at the turn of the year?
  • This has all the hallmarks of Dowie replacing Curbs.....
  • Fumbluff said:
    Does anyone know if they’ve contracted smiley, happy Mourinho from Chelsea (first spell) or that morose nob-end who was sacked by Man Utd at the turn of the year?
    He won’t be so lonely in London.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrLargo said:
    Best thing about this is that I'd grudgingly admired Spurs under Poch. Now I can go back to full-on, "no strings attached" contempt

This feels a bit like an upmarket equivalent of Allardyce going to West Ham. Results will improve, but not sufficiently to justify the misery of watching their football and listening to the Bitter One making out that the world's against him. 

Will undoubtedly end in tears, probably significantly before the end of his contract. However, they're 11/4 to win to nil at West Ham this weekend, I am all over that.
    Same here. I had never liked Spurs until Poch went there. Their football had been so awful to watch for a neutral before but it completely changed under Poch and I watched quite a lot of their games.
  • I’m probably in the minority here, but I actually think appointing Mourinho is a good move. Admittedly it went a tits up at Man Utd and he lost the plot towards the end - but in all honestly Man Utd have been a mess since Ferguson left. 
    From what I can see, the main problem at Tottenham is the Chairman. 
    As for Pochettino, I think he was going a bit stale at Tottenham, he won’t be out of work long. 
  • Can't stand Mourinho - sick of his moaning and lack of modesty. Disappointing appointment.
  • 1StevieG said:
    Fumbluff said:
    Does anyone know if they’ve contracted smiley, happy Mourinho from Chelsea (first spell) or that morose nob-end who was sacked by Man Utd at the turn of the year?
    He won’t be so lonely in London.

• Can't stand Bore-inho, backward step for Spurs. 
  • edited November 2019
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Anyone would think they had him already lined up and contract agreed before getting rid of Pochettino!

The good news for Spurs fans is there's no way he'd agree to go there unless he was given a pretty decent transfer budget.
    If you're giving him money why the he'll wouldn't you have given some to Poch!!!

I don't think Levy trusted Pochettino to spend big even if he gave him the money to do so.

Especially during his early days he made some really good signings at what has proven to be snips in the shape of Trippier (£3.5m), Dele Ali (£5m), Dier (£4m), Davies (£10m), Alderweireld (£11.5m) and Son (£22m). These have all either done on a decent job or in the case of several of them been major successes albeit that in the case of one or two that form has dipped in the last couple of seasons.

Others since though have been poor to varying degrees - Wimmer (£4.3m), N'Jie (£8.3m), Wanyama (£11m), Janssen (£17m), Mbida (£11m), Sissoko (£30m), Sanchez (£42m), Aurier (£23m), Moura (£25m), Llorente (£12m), Sessegnon (£25m) and NDombele (£54m). 

Leicester have conceded just 8 goals in 12 League games this season with their CB partnership of Evans (£3m) and Soyuncu (£19m) being ever present. So you don't have to spend big. But it seems that Levy lost trust in Pochettino to spend a penny!
    Totally incorrect.  Spurs sign players based on a transfer committee.  This has been the case since Hoddle was sacked and then we had a year of transition before briefly Santini then Jol took the reigns.

Levy chairs and has ultimate control.  Levy has used a lot of ex-managers and players on the committee, the likes of Tim Sherwood, David Pleat (ex Manager), I believe Martin Chivers was also involved for a time.  Also there was the likes of Paul Mitchell, the former head of recruitment.  We had three directors of football, Frank Arnesen, Franco Baldini and the fella that went to Liverpool, cant remember his name now.  The coach would direct the committee to the type of players they need for their system, then the committee would identify the players and Levy would undertake the negotiations.

Remember when Spurs were attempting a title push under Redknapp? (ok, attempting may be pushing it a bit!) He asked for Carlos Tevez (from Utd at the time) and Gary Cahill (from Bolton) and he ended up with Louis Saha and Ryan Nelson!  This is Levy all over.  Redknapp asked for a CF and a CB and the Levy and the committee came up with the goods but not the tools asked for.  This has gone on 17 of the 19 years Levy and ENIC have been in control.  This is why Poch came out and demanded things had to change at the end of the previous season.  Spurs had to be brave he said.  Like give him the money and the reigns.  99% of them players you've named have all been signed by the committee and I would assume that would be the same for Mourinho.  Every single one was under a certain age bracket and all would have been bought with potential sell-on value (with the exception of Sissoko and Llorente).

Ironically, one player that Poch did want was Giovanni Lo Celso.  Spurs managed to bring him in on a season-long loan.  He's only started two games because of injury.

(Amazon must be licking their lips at some of the footage for their documentary this season!)

JohnBoyUK - if the Manager has little or no say in transfer dealings then Mourinho really isn't going to last very long in the job is he? He indicated any number of times at United how he was fed up with not being able to compete with the likes of City and Liverpool so far as this is concerned.

On another note here is a different spin on Pochettino's departure:

Pochettino's side-door exit from Madrid's Estadio Metropolitano, within an hour of Tottenham's Champions League final defeat against Liverpool in June, when he and his coaching staff walked through the media centre, past bemused journalists and straight for a flight to Barcelona, was a clear hint that all was not well at the London club. While the Spurs players gathered their thoughts and headed home the following day, Pochettino was already somewhere else. In the minds of many at the club, he'd checked out long before that 2-0 loss to Liverpool in the Spanish capital.

Pochettino had made it clear that he was no longer fully focused on his job at Spurs, so how could he be surprised that Christian Eriksen would not sign a new long-term contract or that the likes of Toby AlderweireldJan Vertonghen and Danny Rose have since questioned their own futures at the club? Sources have told ESPN FC that Pochettino's methods began to grate with senior players, with one claiming privately that his demands on the training pitch would not be accepted by players at a "super club" like Real Madrid, Manchester United or Barcelona, because they were methods that would be accepted only by young players making their way in the game.

If those players think Pochettino's methods were rigid I bet they can't wait to witness Mourinho's relaxed and flexible approach. All they need to do is ask Pogba and Hazzard so far as that is concerned.
  • Anyone would think they had him already lined up and contract agreed before getting rid of Pochettino!

Especially during his early days he made some really good signings at what has proven to be snips in the shape of Trippier (£3.5m), Dele Ali (£5m), Dier (£4m), Davies (£10m), Alderweireld (£11.5m) and Son (£22m). These have all either done on a decent job or in the case of several of them been major successes albeit that the form for one or two has dipped in the last couple of seasons.

Bit harsh, he's only 19 and been injured all season and only played 2 games, 1 of which he got an assist in.
  • Anyone would think they had him already lined up and contract agreed before getting rid of Pochettino!

Bit harsh, he's only 19 and been injured all season and only played 2 games, 1 of which he got an assist in.
    Indeed it probably is with him being injured. He made 130 appearances for Fulham before his 19th birthday whereas his twin, Steven, hadn't even played in the League. I do hope Spurs bought the right one!
  • I do think Poch messed up badly with his disregard for the domestic cups, Spurs won nothing when he was in charge, indeed Spurs only made one League Cup final during this time.

While Wenger was often criticised for just getting "top 4" in his latter years he regularly kept winning FA Cups during a period when Spurs were at a similar level to Arsenal