Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MLS 2020

Comments

• Should add due to Covid the MLS restructuring has changed slightly so the new teams are not coming in as planned

Originally it was

Charlotte FC 
    Austin FC

St. Louis
    Sacramento Republic 

Now it

Austin FC

Charlotte FC

St. Louis
    Sacramento Republic 
  • Frank De Boer sacked by Atlanta 
  • Charlotte FC

City Mayor Lyles signed a letter sent to Major League Soccer committing $110 million to the MLS project. 

• Should add due to Covid the MLS restructuring has changed slightly so the new teams are not coming in as planned

Originally it was

Charlotte FC 
    Austin FC

St. Louis
    Sacramento Republic 

Now it

Austin FC

Charlotte FC

St. Louis
    Sacramento Republic 
    When the hell are they going to stop adding teams?

Surely going to get to the point soon where they're going to have to change the whole format

Originally it was

Charlotte FC 
    Austin FC

St. Louis
    Sacramento Republic 

Now it

Austin FC

Charlotte FC

St. Louis
    Sacramento Republic 

Surely going to get to the point soon where they're going to have to change the whole format
    Thats the end of it then

These teams have been planned for a few years but then they have already said they won't be adding anymore for some time.

Once St Louis and Sacramento Republic are added there will be 30 MLS teams, which wil then be 15 in each conference 
  • edited July 2020
    Anyone remember the old Newcastle and Watford player Stephen Glass, I am sure @Super_horns remembers him

Well he was in charge of Atlanta 2 (the reserve team) but has just been given the interim job as Head Coach of the first team following the sacking of Frank De Boer 

Originally it was

Charlotte FC 
    Austin FC

St. Louis
    Sacramento Republic 

Now it

Austin FC

Charlotte FC

St. Louis
    Sacramento Republic 

Thats the end of it then

These teams have been planned for a few years but then they have already said they won't be adding anymore for some time.

Once St Louis and Sacramento Republic are added there will be 30 MLS teams, which wil then be 15 in each conference 
    Surely there will be more franchises in the future though?

Would be surprised if Las Vegas didnt move their team from the NASL (?) into the MLS for example

Originally it was

Charlotte FC 
    Austin FC

St. Louis
    Sacramento Republic 

Now it

Austin FC

Charlotte FC

St. Louis
    Sacramento Republic 

Thats the end of it then

Surely there will be more franchises in the future though?

Would be surprised if Las Vegas didnt move their team from the NASL (?) into the MLS for example
    I believe they have said there is the possibility for it to go to 32 in the future but not further than that.

Las Vegas 
    Detroit
    Phoenix 
    Louisville
    San Diego 
    Indianapolis

Have all been spoke about in the past but if they do cut off at 32 then 4 of those would miss out
  • 32 would make more sense 
  • MLS league season is resuming now

FC Dallas played Nashville earlier today which Nashville surprisingly won 1-0

They play again on the 17th to make up for both these 2 missing group games in the MLS is back tournament.

Then on the 21st the league resumes with localised games only, so lots of derbies ahead lol.

First game back is NYRB v NYCFC 
  • Sponsored links:

• oh and Matuidi signed for Inter Miami today 
  • edited August 2020
    Lots of games being called off

Orlando v Nashville went ahead

Then Inter Miami v Atlanta were due to start Atlanta refused to play, discussions went on between the 2 captains and it was decided they wouldnt play.

Not long after that the next 3 games were called off as well

FC Dallas v Colorado 
    Real Salt Lake v LAFC
    San Jose v Portland Timbers

Still no word on the final game of the day
    LA Galaxy v Seattle but I fully expect that to be called off as well
  • MLS official statement 

• Weird scenes in DC tonight

DC United losing to Atlanta and they bring on a sub who wasnt actually on the official team sheet, it was picked up and the player was told to go off the pitch and down the tunnel and DC were told to bring someone else on instead, but it was just ridiculous really, the manager is either stupid and cant remember who he picked on the bench or he picked the wrong names on the team sheet
  • So much has been going on I kept forgetting to update this thread this year lol, but will make sure I keep on top of the MLS 2021 thread 🤣🤣

Anyway post season play off start tonight

2 matches 2 final spots remain.

First up is New England Revs v Montreal Impacts
    Followed by Nashville v Inter Miami

• How are you feeling atm @Rossman92
  • Gotta say its weird watching these knowing Atlanta didnt make it lol
  • Haven’t kept up with it since the competition at Disneyland. Nice to see Nashville and Miami doing well.

Looking forward to having a local team in Austin FC soon. Not too sure about the kit that was just released though!
  • edited November 2020
    Haven’t kept up with it since the competition at Disneyland. Nice to see Nashville and Miami doing well.

Looking forward to having a local team in Austin FC soon. Not too sure about the kit that was just released though!
    I personally wouldn't say Inter Miami are doing well, they have been so inconsistent, a win then a few defeats then a win then a few defeats, think if it was a full season they wouldn't have made it.

Nashville on the otherhand have impressed me, 2 defeats beford the league suspended in March then didnt play MLS is back, then when the league resumed they struggled to beat Dallas in a poor game then drew 0-0 to Dalllas then lost there next 2 and I thought at that point they were just gonna have a poor season, but then suddenly something clicked and they only lost 3 of their next 17 games, they drew alot but still something changed for them
  • Heartbreak for Montreal a goal with seconds remaining and they lose 2-1

New England Revolution head through
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2020
    That goal was coming for about 10 minutes. Heartbreak for Rod Fanni’s Montreal.
  • edited November 2020
    That goal was coming for about 10 minutes. Heartbreak for Rod Fanni’s Montreal.
    And @Rossman92
  • What was the tournament a few months back that Portland won?

I thought that they played that locked down tournament as an alternative way of finishing the main MLS season (like they did with the NBA). But this seems like a resumption of their main season from months ago?
  • That goal was coming for about 10 minutes. Heartbreak for Rod Fanni’s Montreal.
    And @Rossman92
    Extra gutted because I really like Gustavo Bou, and he's had to come around and do that 😭 Playoffs still a massive accomplishment but what a kick in the balls that was
  • Literally the most ridiculous penalty shootout I have ever seen

Orlando 4-3 up and NYCFC have to score to stay in the shootout, up steps Castellanos who looked nervous and missed.

Players celebrate manager runs into the dressing room, then all of a sudden ref has his finger to his ear and  is talking to VAR who confirm Gallese was off his line, so penalty needs to be retaken and Gallese gets booked, which was his 2nd booking and a red card.

Then more chaos as Orlando took a player off for their sub keeper Rowe, Rowe stood in goal and Castellanos was about to take the penalty when the ref started talking to VAR again about the sub, he then told Rowe to leave the pitch as a sub couldn't be made, the was then loads of heated discussions on the sideline for about 5 minutes, Orlando officials got phones out looking at the rules, then Rowe started walking back onto the pitch then the ref again told him to leave the pitch, eventually they put a keeper in goal.

Castellanos scored but all it needed was Nani to score and it was over, Nani missed and we moved into sudden death.

Both teams scored their next penalty, and then there was more chaos.

NYCFC missed penalty number 7 and Orlando players started to celebrate, the ref blew his whistle as if to say thats it shootout over, but the NYCFC players were confused because it was 5-5 and Orlando still needed to score, so again the ref started talking to VAR looked at his notepad and must have realised he miscounted, Orlando scored their 7th penalty and won 6-5

Crazy penalty shootout and never seen a ref miss count before

• edited November 2020
    What was the tournament a few months back that Portland won?

I thought that they played that locked down tournament as an alternative way of finishing the main MLS season (like they did with the NBA). But this seems like a resumption of their main season from months ago?
    That was the “MLS Is Back” tournament. They got all the teams together in a bubble at Disneyland and played a World Cup style tournament. The proper league with home & away fixtures restarted a week or so after that tournament ended.

All of the group games counted towards real league points, a bit bizarre/mickey-mouse if you ask me but I’ve never really cared much for MLS tables anyway - with no promotion or relegation you can just stick the game on and not care too much about it.
  • edited November 2020
    Literally the most ridiculous penalty shootout I have ever seen

Orlando 4-3 up and NYCFC have to score to stay in the shootout, up steps Castellanos who looked nervous and missed.

Players celebrate manager runs into the dressing room, then all of a sudden ref has his finger to his ear and  is talking to VAR who confirm Gallese was off his line, so penalty needs to be retaken and Gallese gets booked, which was his 2nd booking and a red card.

Then more chaos as Orlando took a player off for their sub keeper Rowe, Rowe stood in goal and Castellanos was about to take the penalty when the ref started talking to VAR again about the sub, he then told Rowe to leave the pitch as a sub couldn't be made, the was then loads of heated discussions on the sideline for about 5 minutes, Orlando officials got phones out looking at the rules, then Rowe started walking back onto the pitch then the ref again told him to leave the pitch, eventually they put a keeper in goal.

Castellanos scored but all it needed was Nani to score and it was over, Nani missed and we moved into sudden death.

NYCFC missed penalty number 7 and Orlando players started to celebrate, the ref blew his whistle as if to say thats it shootout over, but the NYCFC players were confused because it was 5-5 and Orlando still needed to score, so again the ref started talking to VAR looked at his notepad and must have realised he miscounted, Orlando scored their 7th penalty and won 6-5

Haha this is great. This kind of sh*t show is why you can’t take this league seriously and just have to throw it on for a bit of light entertainment. I’d imagine the dozen or so diehard NYCFC fans will be fuming.
  • Literally the most ridiculous penalty shootout I have ever seen

Haha this is great. This kind of sh*t show is why you can’t take this league seriously and just have to throw it on for a bit of light entertainment. I’d imagine the dozen or so diehard NYCFC fans will be fuming.
    This kind of thing is why I enjoy MLS as just entertainment . Goals galore , bizarre ref decisions and no team has seemingly learnt how to defend properly. 

That Orlando game was peak MLS . 
  • These play offs are amazing

Another great one going on now.

SKC v San Jose

2-2 going into added time

91st minute 18 year old Busio scores to put SKC 3-2 ahead 

A couple of minutes later he missed a 1 on 1 and I said I wonder if he will regret that.

97th minute and 37 year old Chris Wondolowski makes it 3-3 and sends it to extra time.

Only 4 minutes were added as well but because of the goal celebration and subs the ref added extra time on and that helped San Jose get the equaliser 
  • Expansion draft tomorrow for my new local team Austin FC. MLS have released a list of draft eligible players, looks to be a couple of decent options.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/12/14/2020-mls-expansion-draft-official-list-players-eligible-selection