Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MLS 2020

Comments

• Horrible to watch this injury

Reyes caught in the throat by Dom Dwyer

He was clearly on the floor choking as well, so not sure if he swallowed his tongue or something.

But it was horrible to see that 
  • Also the response from the EMT was incredible slow, you could hear the players telling them they needed to be quicker and one even helped push the stretcher to try and speed things up
  • also dont think they cameras needed to show as much as they did, should have cut away to the manager or something else rather then a close up of a player clearly struggling to breath 
  • After 20 seconds of seeing him in distress, it was clear he needed serious medical attention. The EMT's have had weeks to prep for this, they literally looked they didnt have a clue what to do. Glad the commentators called that out. MLS needs to get on that
  • 97th minute winner from Nani denies David Beckhams Inter Miami their first MLS point

Good performance from both teams TBH for their first games back
  • Nashville v Chicago was due to be the next game but that has been postponed so the next game is New York City v Philadelphia Union at 14.00 GMT
  • Nashville v Chicago was due to be the next game but that has been postponed so the next game is New York City v Philadelphia Union at 14.00 GMT
    Will be at work which is annoying because that is a great matchup!! 

Very excited for The Impact vs the Revolution in the evening. I recently found out that I have 200 plus years of family connections in and around Montreal so I finally have a solid reason to support an MLS club!
  • MLS returns on Thursday a bit different to normal obviously.

Its now a month tournament well slightly over the final is August 8th and all matches are being played at the ESPN Wide World of Sport Complex in Walt Disney World

Starts if with a group stage then moves on to a knockout situation after
    Obviously i get why they've had to come up with a new format but why are they rushing to finish their season by August 8th?

MLS season i'm sure used to run until at least October.

How many games will each side play if the whole thing is going to be just a month?
  • MLS returns on Thursday a bit different to normal obviously.

Its now a month tournament well slightly over the final is August 8th and all matches are being played at the ESPN Wide World of Sport Complex in Walt Disney World

Starts if with a group stage then moves on to a knockout situation after
    Obviously i get why they've had to come up with a new format but why are they rushing to finish their season by August 8th?

MLS season i'm sure used to run until at least October.

How many games will each side play if the whole thing is going to be just a month?
    I suppose its got alot to do with the players being  away from homes and everything as well.

With it all being in one venue, the teams are using individual hotels in Disney World as their base.

In regards to your second question its basically before the draw was done Nashville were moved from the Western Conference to the Eastern Conference to allow an even number of teams in both sides

The Eastern Conference was drawn in a group of 6 teams(Group A) and 2 groups of 4 teams(Group C and Group E)

The Western Conference was drawn into 3 groups of 4 teams( Group B, Group D and Group F )

Obviously groups B to F each team plays each other once, but in group A there were obviously more teams so they had a further draw to work out who would play who as each team only plays 3 of the 5 other teams.

Then after each team has played each other once the top 2 and highest 4 ranked 3rd placed teams progress to a knockout competition 
  • edited July 2020
    hope that make sense @Chris_from_Sidcup

Other than the confusing element of Group A its basically like a world cup except the Highest ranked ranked 3rd place teams also go through to the knockout stage
  • Sponsored links:

• oh and the winner earns a spot in the 2021 CONCAF Champions League

And any points earned in the MLS is back tournament also gets added to the regular season table which obviously suspended after 2 games with Sporting Kansas top of the Western Conference and the best team the 5 Stripes top of the Eastern Conference
  • NYCFC v Philadelphia Union just kicked off.

Will be very interesting to see how this pans out considering its 9.15am in Orlando so how many of these players will be used to playing a competitive game of football at this time of the morning 
  • Sounds like a right old mess, but thanks for explaining @paulie8290

I see Dallas have withdrawn now so one group has only 3 teams, and Nashville have 9 positive Covid cases so will almost certainly have to withdraw too. 
  • Yeah Group B now only has 3 teams

So, San Jose Earthquakes, Vancouver Whitecaps and Seattle Sounders will each only have 2 group matches
  • Rod Fanni starts for Montreal at the ripe old age of 38. There's a throwback to the Roland era 
  • Not sure the words fanni and ripe should be used in the same sentence like that..!
  • edited July 2020
    Nashville have officially withdrawn now as expected 

Means that with points in this tournament carrying over into the actual conference as well and with Nashville starting with 0 points from their first 2 games and now playing 0 games here, they will be bottom of the Western Conference with 0 points 

Not the first season they wanted in MLS
  • With FC Dallas and Nashville withdrawinf there is no longer a group of 6 as there is now 24 teams instead of 26 they have changed the grouping to 6 groups of 4
  • Charlotte who will join MLS in 2021 are deciding their name.

And have Charlotte Athletic as a option lol not another CAFC

• Some terrible names there!

Carolina Gliders probably the worst.

Just stick with Charlotte FC.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2020
    Crazy result this afternoon a match that was originally scheduled for Friday was then rescheduled for yesterday but was postponed shortly before kick off(I mean less than an hour before kick kff, lineups had been posted and everything) after  a DC United player tested positive and a Toronto player had an inclusive test.

The match finally went ahead today

Toronto took the lead then went 2-0 ahead and were dominanting

Just before Half Time DC United went down to 10 men and that was it game over..................

Nope the Toronto manager decided to show a bit of tactical ineptitude with 20 minutes to go and replace his 2 good cente backs with 2 well very poor CBs is a decent way to describe them lol, in the end it cost Toronto and with  only 10 men DC United still scored 2 goals in the last 5 minutes to draw 2-2
  • Call them Charlotte Athletic and they can be our sister club
  • Call them Charlotte Athletic and they can be our sister club
    They can be the team we all support when we inevitably go bust in the near future!
  • edited July 2020
    4 goals in 2 games this tournament for 20 year old Toronto forward Akinola

He looks like he is going to be a very special talent
  • Make that 5 in 2 for Akinola
  • Crazy result this afternoon a match that was originally scheduled for Friday was then rescheduled for yesterday but was postponed shortly before kick off(I mean less than an hour before kick kff, lineups had been posted and everything) after  a DC United player tested positive and a Toronto player had an inclusive test.

The match finally went ahead today

Toronto took the lead then went 2-0 ahead and were dominanting

Just before Half Time DC United went down to 10 men and that was it game over..................

Nope the Toronto manager decided to show a bit of tactical ineptitude with 20 minutes to go and replace his 2 good cente backs with 2 well very poor CBs is a decent way to describe them lol, in the end it cost Toronto and with  only 10 men DC United still scored 2 goals in the last 5 minutes to draw 2-2
    The Toronto manager isn’t Lee Bowyer is it? 
  • Charlotte who will join MLS in 2021 are deciding their name.

And have Charlotte Athletic as a option lol not another CAFC

They’ve decided on Charlotte FC.
  • 'Charlotte Football Club' that will confuse the locals... Charlotte calls itself the Queen City hence the crown in the logo. 
  • edited July 2020
    There are plenty of “FC” expansion teams in the MLS at this point so Charlotte aren’t exactly doing anything ground breaking. There is a clear divide though between SC and FC, usually dependent upon the timeframe in which a franchise joined the league.

I’ve always thought that AFC (Association Football Club) was a good compromise for MLS teams since it covers both bases: football and soccer. AFC Charlotte or Charlotte AFC would have been cool.