Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

***Thu 14 Nov CAST AGM & Steve Gallen Q&A***

13»

Comments

• Options
    Was it last summer 18/19 or the January, Bowyer had a freebie lined up but got told no and was that a Dreisen decision?
  • Options

At the AGM last night Steve Gallen said Duchâtelet owes Lee Bowyer £2m from the sale of Anferne Diksteel. LB expects this sum to be available to him in the transfer window. What are the chances? #rolandout #cafc
    Slightly surprised by that as at the time Bowyer talked about using the Dijksteel money to strengthen the squad and subsequently brought in 4 loanees (Cullen, Field, Leko and Kayal) and 3 perms (Hemed, Oztumer and Matthews). 

I had assumed that these players were where the Dijksteel money was spent, though there were all those stories about us targeting another striker to play alongside Lyle, so maybe that's where the money was going to be allocated?
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Jeez, I didn't realise that Driesen is still involved, and certainly not to this extent.

We need to ensure that - among other things - the wider fan base knows that this towering absurdity is still part of the show.
    What signing or Driesen decision / input do you have an issue with over the last 18 months Prague?
    Problem is, you just don't know who he has vetoed.

Would you want to spend your time as an experienced and highly respected head of recruitment going all over the country looking for available talent, of the right calibre for the club, at the right price only to be told "No" by some spotty oik playing FIFA2019 all day?

Depends how good that spotty oik is.

I've no idea how useful or useless Driesen is. None of us do. What i do know is our player hiring over the last two years has massively outperformed the budget available, which whether we like it or not has played a part of. None of us know how big or small that part is, so personally i'll keep an open judgement.

I want Duchatelet and all elements of his impact to us removed from our club ASAP. But whether we like it or not, until that happens then Driesen is his trusted soldier on whether he signs off a playing staff financial comittment or not.

So until that day comes when he naffs off, i see zero benefit in pillorising Driesen unless but there is clear evidence that he is needs a massive spanner shoved in the up his works.

Fixed  ;)
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    So why not look at his input throughout his whole tenure here, rather than just the past 18 months where it would appear he now only has a veto?

Some of those early signings - all on his recommendations, were absolute stinkers.

Because

1. we've no knowledge of what of those were linked to him, the wider Standard Liege network, or any of the other advisers / agents feeding into the process

2. that's like saying there is zero possibility for people to learn from mistakes / grow with their job. I made work decisions / approaches etc in 2016 i've learned from experience i wouldn't make now. To be good at anything in life surely part of the process is to positively progress through the stage of learning from mistakes, what did not work etc?

• Options
    Addickted said:
    So why not look at his input throughout his whole tenure here, rather than just the past 18 months where it would appear he now only has a veto?

Some of those early signings - all on his recommendations, were absolute stinkers.

Because

1. we've no knowledge of what of those were linked to him, the wider Standard Liege network, or any of the other advisers / agents feeding into the process

2. that's like saying there is zero possibility for people to learn from mistakes / grow with their job. I made work decisions / approaches etc in 2016 i've learned from experience i wouldn't make now. To be good at anything in life surely part of the process is to positively progress through the stage of learning from mistakes, what did not work etc?

Unless you are Duchatelet, and Meire, when you never accept you ever made a mistake.

Using Dreisen IS the mistake.
  • Options
    I suspect from various snippets that Bow and Gallen have built a relationship with Teenage Tommy Wanksock in order to use him and mould him into their way. I imagine they have found a way to persuade him to give his sign off on what they recommend where perhaps before he wouldnt have.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was Driesen's involvement/input the only topic that was discussed?
    Any other news from the meeting?
  • Options
    Addickted said:

In the last 18 months Gallen and Bowyer have been give more control.

Before then it was Dreisen.

We all know which era has been the better.

We know Dreisen is incompetent and unqualified.  He has no more, in fact less, reason to be deciding on players than Ackworth.
    Disagree with the last point.

At least Ackworth has an extensive (if slightly flawed) knowledge of English players. Dreisen wouldn't even know where Salop was.
  • Options
    Where is lieven De turk?
    How much did we/Roland pay him over his tenure of achieving the square root of F*** all?

Dough could have gone into Gallens player fund.

• Options
    castrust said:
    Curb_It said:
    Jeez, I didn't realise that Driesen is still involved, and certainly not to this extent.

We need to ensure that - among other things - the wider fan base knows that this towering absurdity is still part of the show.

Sounds like a great move to get SG along as the guest.
    But do we want to make waves for Gallen? May be he shouldn't have been so open about the Driesen farce.

Steve Gallen was very clear that he doesn't currently see TD's involvement as a problem.
    Agree.  SG has gained the trust of RD and would guess RD is not so reliant on Driesden as his single trusted adviser on player analysis.

Nothing gained by Driesden getting the impression he is being successfully humoured.

• Options
    @AFKABartram

@Addickted has kindly made the most obvious points on my behalf in answer to your question, but let me just respond specifically to your last post. 

In so doing, I'm making the assumption that a football club is a business, with a structure, and reporting lines similar to any other business. In that structure, one of the most important sets of decisions made, are the decisions to recruit or let go players. 

"I've no idea how useful or useless Driesen is. None of us do."

I beg to differ. if you examine the careers of professionals in the game who play the same role, they are always people who played the game at a pro or semi- pro level. And usually they are aged at least 40 plus.

But even then they (I refer to senior scouts) do not have the ultimate responsibility, of deciding how huge amounts of money should be spent and managing the resulting human resource so that results on the field are achieved.

Driesen, we know, has no previous experience in scouting, or anything else of significance, in a professional football club. Duchatelet seems to think that he is a young person with a new fresh "technical" approach to player assessment. If this approach has any merit, why, after all this time, has Driesen not been lured away by a top club (as Gallen certainly will be)? Do not Standard Liege miss the benefit of his extraordinary genius?  

if you have not been blocked, as I now have been, take a look at his Twitter account. Does it look to you like the account of a professional disrupter, seeking to present his genius to potential employers? It is an account so banal that at first I couldn't believe it was really him. 

Ah, you say, but it does not seem to have held back our recruitment under Gallen. If that's true then Gallen wouldn't mention it. He has done so, extensively. It bothers him. Wouldn't it bother you? You are a professional, with a job to do, and everything you do has to be signed off by some little charlatan who came out of nowhere, and will return to nowhere when RD finally gets out of football.

He needs to be removed, and soon, because otherwise we will all face a choice. Do we want to see our club retain the services of Steve Gallen, or alternatively Thomas Driesen? Mark my words, that is what it will come to, even if by the time we know that point has come, it will already be too late.

You can't compare it to any other industry though can?

How many other industries are privately owned and controlled buy such a high percentage of people with zero prior experience in the industry?

Player trading, retention and recruitment is the single most important business of the business but what other type of industry would let 1 person multi million pound expenditure sign offs with out it being counter signed?

Would I rather it be an experienced CEO with a track record in English football, of course I would.  But in this instance I see that it makes little difference if its little Tommy, RD himself, a pet shop owner from Oz, a bloke that sells over sized mugs or the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars.   There can't be many clubs in England where the ultimate authority is a "football person"? 

• Options
    castrust said:
    The write up of the Steve Gallen Q&A can now be found on our website:

https://www.castrust.org/2019/11/gallen-lee-is-desperate-to-stay/
    Great write up, thanks
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    castrust said:
    The write up of the Steve Gallen Q&A can now be found on our website:

https://www.castrust.org/2019/11/gallen-lee-is-desperate-to-stay/
    Like how Basey has kept in touch with Maloney and Wiredu at their respective loan clubs - We used to have a regular report on the OS covering how the youngsters were doing on loan but seems to have disappeared in recent years

Fair play what he said about Smith's goal the other week

Great read - Have a lot of time for Gallen!!
  • Options
    One thing I don't agree with in there. 

He said "Roland is no fool". 

Wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2019
  • Options
    Interesting reading more detail on the Driesen question...
  • Options
    One thing I don't agree with in there. 

He said "Roland is no fool". 

Wrong.
    We all have to suck up to the boss in public!
  • Options

The issue of LB's contract was much more important to Steve Gallen than anything to do with Driesen
  • Options
    Interesting read.

Anything from the AGM?
  • Options
    Pico said:

The issue of LB's contract was much more important to Steve Gallen than anything to do with Driesen

• Options
    Interesting read.

Anything from the AGM?

Heather Alderson elected to the board which is great news.

Richard Wiseman, Steve Clarke and Heather McKinlay re-elected.

General agreement that the management team's contracts are the highest priority at present.

Short discussion about safe standing

Draft minutes will be on our website shortly.