Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

André Gomes injury

Comments

• Options
    Some apparent pictures on twitter of his ankle in the physios room

First shows it out of shape and just doesnt look real
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    I didn't think it was a red card offence at all.  But the wording of Law 12 makes it seem that, because the player's safety was endangered by the tackle, it's counted as serious foul play and therefore a straight red. 

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent
    or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play. Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play
    The tackle wasnt excessive by any stretch of the imagination. Gomes stumbled & his leg went from under him. If anyone was to blame its the groundsman/manager for watering the pitch and/or the boots Gomes was wearing. Nothing to do with the tackle.

I don't think anyone's suggesting it was excessive, that's why I didn't embolden the but that says "or uses excessive force or brutality".  It was a tackle and it's interesting to understand whether it endangered the safety of the opponent.  

You might be right, of course, and it was nothing to do with the tackle and, instead, the player might well have fallen over, 80 minutes into the game because his boots were a bit tight or some of the grass was wet.  But I think the fact he was tackled probably helped him to lose balance a bit.  

Let's hope that, if you're right, the groundsman gets a retrospective red card and a long ban. 
    I think trolling when there has been such a bad injury is possibly a new low.
  • Options
    Wish the lad a full recovery, terrible injury and just pure bad luck, neither of the Spurs players are to blame.  

I was on a Sunday League pitch when a lad broke his fibia, tibia and shattered his ankle, this brings back memories.  That poor sod came very close to losing part of his leg and his leg was still in a cage 6 months later if i recall if not longer (ie before being fixed enough to be put into plaster).  

Gomez at least has the best medics money can buy I am sure so maybe has a chance to be back playing i hope.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    So MOTD2 don’t show the incident close up but there is a blooming great picture behind Keown with Gomez holding his foot as it’s facing the wrong way.
  • Options
    Strange that we see Son as decent and honorable for his reaction for injuring a fellow professional, yet same people most weeks pretend to be injured, writhing in agony or fall to the ground theatrically to win an unfair advantage or get their fellow professionals punished but that's generally accepted as part of the game?  Funny old game
  • Options
    this is the picture that shows the impact.  
    Except his foot is already caught in the turf. The angle here is deceptive. 

Zoomed in you can see his toe has caught the turf already.

• Options
    Sage said:
    Can’t comment much on the injury, I haven’t seen it live and only seen one still frame. But I think it’s pretty obvious that he has dislocated his ankle, and with an ankle dislocation, it’s rare not to have a broken bone, so I’d probably say he has fractured his tibia and fibula. Of course, with this injury also means serious ligament damage too.

The main thing would be to get his foot facing the right away because the longer it was facing the wrong way, the worse it’ll be. I’m talking blood supply, nerve damage, ligament damage. Once the ankle dislocation is put right, they can then assess the injury itself. But he is going to have to have metal plates for certain, the surgery is going to be difficult and his recovery is going to be very long and hard. I wouldn’t be surprised to not see Gomes until the early to mid part of 2021.
    Thanks for that @Sage , out of interest what is your profession... physio, paramedic, nurse etc??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In our game yesterday, Naby effected a cynical drag-down for a yellow...except their guy did his ankle as well, albeit not as badly. 

My takeaway is that players should be taught how to fall!
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Awful awful injury for Gomes and hopefully he makes a full recovery.

However...

Never in a million years a red card IMO but having seen the PL statement as to why the ref changed his yellow to a red, I dont think it'll be rescinded.

So lets assume then at the next Spurs game, crunching tackle in midfield, Eriksen goes down like Richarlison did all game holding his face and the Spurs physio gives him oxygen, presumably then the ref will send off the fouling player because his safety was endangered?!  Exactly.

Is the Brighton player that crossed the ball which caused Lloris to fall and break his arm going to be retrospectively punished now?!

The PL have set a massive precedent with that statement and Spurs must appeal.  Otherwise accepting it is the equivalent of coming home from work to find your Mrs in bed with another fella and asking him if he wants sugar in your tea.
    Same with the challenge from the Burnley player on Joe Gomez when the latter broke his leg last season

Was a nothing incident (despite the Liverpool fans wanting a red card) and was 100% an accident

Kept saying when it was debated (not even on here) that people needed to look beyond the injury that Gomez sustained that day but going by the Everton game yesterday it should have been a red card for the Burnley player then!!
  • Options
    Nasty injury and feel very sorry for Gomis. These kinds of injuries are quite common in car accidents, unless their femur breaks instead. I once witnessed a drunk driver try and stand on an ankle like that, as he didn't want to in the ambulance. His attempt at doing a runner was strangely short lived.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    In our game yesterday, Naby effected a cynical drag-down for a yellow...except their guy did his ankle as well, albeit not as badly. 

Then I doubt you've ever played a contact sport.

Or are trolling.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I think you'll find most of them do know how to fall - at the first sign of contact! It is the unexpected challenge or the one where the player is trying to stay on their feet, that can lead to injury.
  • Options
    Surely the result and the red card dont matter.
    And at a guess Son would take a 6 match ban for the fella to be ok.
    So what was the ref meant to do, bearing in mind the Everton players and fans see the incident in a couple of seconds and then see their player f@cked.
    Give Son a yellow and let him carry on the game , yellow and sub him.
    With the injury there was still nearly 20 minutes to play that game would of got ugly without the red.

• Options
    clb74 said:
    So what was the ref meant to do, bearing in mind the Everton players and fans see the incident in a couple of seconds and then see their player f@cked.
    With the injury there was still nearly 20 minutes to play that game would of got ugly without the red.

This isn’t Sunday league. The Everton players wouldn’t of gone after Son. It’s quite obvious that Son is a decent bloke and it was completely unintentional. The whole incident should of been handled with common sense, however we know that many refs have that taken from them when they work for the FA.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

I suspect Spurs would have subbed him very early given his reaction as his head would not have been in the right place at all.  That said, I do agree with your point and a sending off followed by it being rescinded would likely be the best outcome all round.

i think criticism of the ref is a bit daft; no ones head is going to be right after witnessing that and refs are not immune from that.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

I suspect Spurs would have subbed him very early given his reaction as his head would not have been in the right place at all.  That said, I do agree with your point and a sending off followed by it being rescinded would likely be the best outcome all round.

i think criticism of the ref is a bit daft; no ones head is going to be right after witnessing that and refs are not immune from that.
    A rescinded red card is not the best decision all round when Spurs played the remainder of the game with 10 men and conceded a 97th minute equaliser. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hope Gomes can recover and get back to his best. Felt for Son and Aurier. Do not believe either were out to hurt Gomes, it was an unfortunate series of events over a few seconds. Red went to the head of the ref and PL in sending off Son, but as somebody else above said, the ref is also human and the nature of the bad injury would have sparked a reaction, whether sympathy or anger.

I hope that the PL rescind Son’s red, as I do not think it was justified.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Can’t comment much on the injury, I haven’t seen it live and only seen one still frame. But I think it’s pretty obvious that he has dislocated his ankle, and with an ankle dislocation, it’s rare not to have a broken bone, so I’d probably say he has fractured his tibia and fibula. Of course, with this injury also means serious ligament damage too.

The main thing would be to get his foot facing the right away because the longer it was facing the wrong way, the worse it’ll be. I’m talking blood supply, nerve damage, ligament damage. Once the ankle dislocation is put right, they can then assess the injury itself. But he is going to have to have metal plates for certain, the surgery is going to be difficult and his recovery is going to be very long and hard. I wouldn’t be surprised to not see Gomes until the early to mid part of 2021.
    Thanks for that @Sage , out of interest what is your profession... physio, paramedic, nurse etc??
    Not a professional in any of the above. I don’t want to claim that I am either. I know how much they have to work to be in any of those professions.

Have two degrees, one of them being sports science. So you could in theory call me a sports scientist. But I have always had a keen interest in injuries and the human body, and spent at least 3 years throughout the degree extensively looking at the human body, sport injuries, rehabilitation, prevention, and specific sport injury case studies, that was actually bigger than my dissertation! I now wish I had done my Master’s in sport injury/physio/rehabilitation etc, but I didn’t. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Not having a first touch like that of a double decker bus might help Naby....
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Zaha has a Doctorate in that.
  • Options
    But also book players for diving after VAR checks. If Son had been correctly booked for diving earlier he'd never have fouled Gomes!
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    But also book players for diving after VAR checks. If Son had been correctly booked for diving earlier he'd never have fouled Gomes!
    Son didnt dive. He was knocked by the defender & then slipped trying to regain his balance....almost the same as Gomes.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    So MOTD2 don’t show the incident close up but there is a blooming great picture behind Keown with Gomez holding his foot as it’s facing the wrong way.
    A truly hideous sight and not what people want to see late on a Sunday night, not to mention poor old Andre Gomes
  • Options
    I am going to be in the minority on this and say it is a red. Not because the foul itself is that bad, but because of the context.

I was listening on the radio and have since seen the replay of the tackle. Son had just been rolling around holding his face the play before, the inference given by the commentary team was that Son was still angry about a perceived 'wrong' he had suffered. The game restarted he charged after Gomes and took him out. Gomes has then suffered a bad injury which will see him out for a significant period of time, and may never recover to play at that level again.

Whilst I accept he did not intend to cause that level of injury, he did intend to bring an Everton player down. If you watch the replay, he first has a kick at Iwobi and then goes at Gomes when there is no chance he can win the ball all in 5 seconds. This is not a 50-50 that has gone wrong, there is an intent to foul which has ended up in a bad injury.
  • Options
    Pudds said:
    I am going to be in the minority on this and say it is a red. Not because the foul itself is that bad, but because of the context.

I was listening on the radio and have since seen the replay of the tackle. Son had just been rolling around holding his face the play before, the inference given by the commentary team was that Son was still angry about a perceived 'wrong' he had suffered. The game restarted he charged after Gomes and took him out. Gomes has then suffered a bad injury which will see him out for a significant period of time, and may never recover to play at that level again.

Whilst I accept he did not intend to cause that level of injury, he did intend to bring an Everton player down. If you watch the replay, he first has a kick at Iwobi and then goes at Gomes when there is no chance he can win the ball all in 5 seconds. This is not a 50-50 that has gone wrong, there is an intent to foul which has ended up in a bad injury.
    Not at all what happened.

Awful thing to happen.

I feel for all who were involved & who witnessed it.

Speedy recovery to Gomes.
  • Options
    Spurs have reason to feel aggrieved. The Son tackle was not worth a red, hardly worth a yellow. It's more than likely that playing the last few minutes with 10 men deprived Spurs of a much needed away win. The red card will probably be rescinded, but the loss of 2 points won't .
    Terrible injury for Gomes. Let's hope it is not a career ending one