Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Subbuteo Nuts

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Cor that brings back memories. I’d love to have a proper game now.

set it all up as a kid, time i was finished I didn’t wanna play anymore.
    Don’t worry mate, when I finally get round to sorting a Subbuteo night, I’ll drop you an invite.

Still got the pitch my old man glued to a board when I was a kid, along with grandstands, terraces, 4 floodlights, around 40 teams plus loads of accessories. As you say, takes ages to set up.
    When we had our league, one of my mates set up his pitch with all the things you mention, plus a bunch of Airfix Civilians as spectators; table salt on the pitch to mimic snow and some budgie sand in the goalmouth.
    Ironically our other mate didn't turn up for the game causing him to go absolutely apeshit.
  • Options
    Loved that's astro pitch, My mate had one, but instead I used to do some sneaky ironing to get my cloth one flat enough
  • Options
    edited August 2021

For me as a young boy getting any information about Charlton was quite hard. I recall reading about six newspapers when we won just to read a few lines of the reports and study the tables. My main reading matter was Roy of the Rovers. It was delivered on a Saturday morning along with the Daily Mirror for my dad and some rubbish girl orientated magazine about Pop stars and boyfriends for my sister. How I didn’t have a nasty accident rushing down the stairs to catch them as they dropped through the letterbox I don’t know. I also recall getting the bumper holiday specials and saving them for our journey when we went on holiday. It was tempting to read it early but I usually managed to hold off.

I loved reading the stories and was extra excited on the rare occasion a Charlton player appeared.  They seemed to have their favourites who appeared quite often. I recall Alan Rough was often featured. For us, Mike Flanagan and Keith Peacock appeared a few times. It is hard to compare it with today, but where exposure to Charlton outside of the programme was so limited, it was exciting to be fed a few scraps linked to your team. I suppose it is like the half starved contestants in I’m a celebrity enjoying a piece of cheese like it is the greatest thing they have ever eaten.

I recall buying a short lived magazine titled London Soccer which had a page of news devoted to every London club. Unfortunately the font was very large and the news was hardly ever interesting but I still bought it with my pocket money ( I recall it not being that cheap). Anyway a few years back I bought a disc that had scanned copies of Roy of the Rovers on it. I put it away somewhere safe then forgot where I had put it but I found it again yesterday after having a sort out. I spent hours last night reading stories like Mike’s Mini Men which was based around Subbuteo, and the Hard Man which were my favourites. I also checked which players were featured and found a few Charlton related ones. Though not as intense a feeling, I felt some tingles of my youth when I found them.

I have taken out the pages I found with a Charlton link and attached. Still quite a lot to go through so I might find some more. I have also put an example of Mikes Mini Men in the Holiday special PDF as the Subbuteo link.

• Options
    The new Subbuteo ad is a bit disappointing. It is one of those where you can see how it would have been a good idea on paper but John Motson sounds old and the acting is wooden. Not sure it heralds a come back.
  • Options
    I used to get Roy of the rovers delivered every week and my brother got Tiger which I think Roy of the Rovers started from. My favourite was Billys Boots, can't remember which one that was in. A couple of years ago someone bought me the new annual that came out, great memories. Always wanted Melchester Rovers kit.
  • Options

Subbuteo nuts …
  • Options
    Nug said:
    I used to get Roy of the rovers delivered every week and my brother got Tiger which I think Roy of the Rovers started from. My favourite was Billys Boots, can't remember which one that was in. A couple of years ago someone bought me the new annual that came out, great memories. Always wanted Melchester Rovers kit.
    Scorcher and Score
  • Options
    My parents had a snooker table 6' X 3' and the subbuteo pitch used to fit perfectly on it and made it easy to Iron before the big match against my brother 
  • Options
    Loved Billy's Boots in Scorcher.
    I remember being concerned that it would get axed in the new comic.
    I was also a fan of Roy of the Rovers.

Didn't Hamish McSomebody come along a few years later?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just seen this up for sale in this weeks sidcup auction  house 
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/59017352 

subbuteo still going strong in Scotland apparently

• Options

Highest standard  of football in Scotland by all accounts.
  • Options

racist
  • Options

I thought it was a bit like New Zealand, where they were stuck 20-years behind the rest of the world.

Takes time for modern trends to travel to some places.
  • Options

I thought it was a bit like New Zealand, where they were stuck 20-years behind the rest of the world.

Takes time for modern trends to travel to some places.
    and you, you prick