Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Subbuteo Nuts

Comments

• I was bullied quite badly as a kid at school, A couple of kids took against me, and that was that. However being OK at football was a godsend and i made friends outside of school. However Subbuteto helped me cope during my childhood when times got difficult. I could set it all up play by myself and dream the dreams of playing pro.

i would invite the few mates i had around and play, and my Mum would make jam sandwiches for half time!

I took my board in at christmas to school when you could bring games in, only to have it taken off of me dumped in a puddle and my goals stamped on. Looking back it was one of the lowest points of my life. That Christmas my Dad got me a new team, (Spurs!!!), but the board was ruined and i stopped playing with it. I have played it couple of times since, but always remember walking home that afternoon from junior school with my ruined set.
    Dont worry mate... Those bullies have no doubt gone on to lead proper shit lives!!

I was bullied at times in Primary / Secondary School and whenever I look back at those times I always like to think that!!
    I wish that was true, (the bit about shit lives)one ended up being a Doctor at the Royal Free, the other a plumber. 
    You should report the Doctor to the GMC and demand he's struck off.
  • iainment said:
    We used to play a table top football game based on tiddlywinks. Can't remember what it was called but I loved that.
    Tiddlywink football like this? 

• Pringle said:
    iainment said:
    We used to play a table top football game based on tiddlywinks. Can't remember what it was called but I loved that.
    No.

There were 11 players a side and a properly marked out pitch. The players were plastic figures with a round base you flicked the ball, which was a tiddlywink, with.
  • Did anyone have Subbuteo Swimming?
    Near enough?

http://subbuteo.online/subbuteo-angling-interest-spikes-after-bob-mortimer-plug

Subbuteo Angling is one of those strange extra games the makers of the table top football game produced in the 1970s.

A sort of hybrid Monopoly fishing game, it was never the most popular in the Subbuteo range but that means box sets are fairly rare.

According to Subbuteo historian Peter Upton: ”  It’s Subbuteo’s crack at a more standard board game, and dates from the early 1970s. 

” The playing pieces are well designed, with the fishermen being chunky and having separate rods provided (although in some ways it’s a shame they are not OO scale).

“Occasionally, the ball-bearing gets stuck inside the dicer, and I’m not convinced it is as random as using dice would be. The Angling box states “a game of skill. no dice. no magnets” which is a bit of a fib, seeing as the dicer does exactly the same job as a twelve sided dice. “

The game featured on an episode of Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse’s excellent Gone Fishing series and it led to an explosion in interest online.

I still have this; have spent hours playing with my daughter. You have to collect all the kit (rod, float, hook etc) and bait by going around the board and then you can (finally!) go fishing. Things can go wrong like “float and hook lost in tree” or “paste has gone mouldy”. A classic!
  • iainment said:
    Pringle said:
    iainment said:
    No.

There were 11 players a side and a properly marked out pitch. The players were plastic figures with a round base you flicked the ball, which was a tiddlywink, with.
    It was Waddingtons Table Soccer.
  • edited October 2019
    What a thread! I used to love subbuteo when i was a kid. Remember the pitch you had to get mum to iron, the cups (the winner getting to drink tango out of it post match), those fiddly numbers you could try and put on the players backs, dad moaning that you bought another red and white team just cause the socks weren't the correct colour to be charlton or man utd, the police and various ridiculous add ons you could buy, the addidas tango coloured footballs, international teams with extra players...but the holy grail was the astroturf pitch. A true game changer haha!

Edit - used to buy all the gear from Gamleys in Crawley town centre, some other Crawley Addicks might remember this place. Its now a cash n carry style super market i think.
  • Close up.

• Close up.

Is that Chris Solly?
  • I had a magnetic football game, I think it was called Soccerette.
  • Sponsored links:

• I had a magnetic football game, I think it was called Soccerette.
    Don’t recall that but do remember the Charlton Socerette flashing her growler on Soccer AM a few years ago.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o5pPW-LOwdc

there you go !!
  • Close up.

Is that Chris Solly?
    Don't be ridiculous.

It's clearly Josh Cullen.
  • You lucky buggers. I was lucky to get a blow football set and even then the straws were nicked from McDonalds. 
  • Subbuteo has just been relaunched- you may have seen the ads in the recent England game. 

They have England, Real Madrid and Barcelona licensed sets, as well as a Champions League version with the star ball, and a number of ‘generic’ coloured teams. Adding a VAR option for controversy...

• Went through blow football and magnetic football before my parents could eventually afford to buy a full subbuteo set for me and my brother one Christmas.
    Had a mini league with my mates, we were only about 10 years old.
    We named our teams after ourselves, eg Steve Athletic, Tone United, Dave Park Rangers, Tommy Hotspur etc  ;)
    Used to make " programmes" for each game.
    My mate Steve always had a few bob more than us and had all the accessories, floodlights etc. He also had several sets of Airfix "Civilians" which he used to dot around the pitch as spectators.
    He also used to sprinkle sand in the goalmouth of his pitch and salt to replicate snow.
    Great fun!
  • Sponsored links:

• Shall we set up a league?

• Had this game when I was about 5, not sure if it would be allowed these days as the ball was a ball bearing.

• Had this game when I was about 5, not sure if it would be allowed these days as the ball was a ball bearing.
    Yes I played that prior to subbuteo.
    The full backs always scored the most goals.
    I recall keeping the ball bearings in an Invicta School dinner money envelope. 
  • Anybody played this? I had this when I was a kid and recently bought a complete one on ebay in great condition. I used to love playing it but it is just nice looking at it and remembering the joy of being a young football nut.

• Probably a bit older than you lot and when I was young we were poor so thing like subbuteo was never going to happen for us, but the Christmas of ‘62 (Boxing Day was the start of the coldest and snowiest winter I can remember) my auntie who was wealthy brought me and my brother the greatest football game ever invented, it was a magnetic football game. The  sticks controlled the players and goal keeper and you had two sticks each and about 5 players each, games lasted 5 minutes each half. The snow piled up outside and the temperature fell indoors to such an extent we had a day were play was impossible the pitch froze (yes indoors it was below freezing). We had to thaw the pitch out by transferring to the best room which had heating. We kept playing, leagues were formed cups were won.  

Here a photo of the offending game

I had that or rather my brother did.

Yep, had that too, in fact spent my firework money on buying it.

Then cried when I couldn't buy any fireworks!
  • Anybody played this? I had this when I was a kid and recently bought a complete one on ebay in great condition. I used to love playing it but it is just nice looking at it and remembering the joy of being a young football nut.

Yep, had this in the 70's. Also a cheaper version called Big League where you painted the players yourself. Subbuteo was always the best though. I also picked up a Super Striker game from a charity shop a few years back. Agree it's more about sentiment and just nice to have.
  • Kin ell, £190 for a team that had been painted on by a kid decades ago. 
  • They used to be painted by women from their homes. Some were better at it than others.