Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Prostate Cancer

2»

Comments

• So Derek I'm confused.
    Does a reading of 1 mean you are free of cancer ? In remission or whatever is the correct term?
  • I should have asked this myself to the consultant. I do to suppose it has gone all together, altho I would like to think so. I have my next hormone injection in January so will ask
     the nurse for more information.
  • edited November 2019
    Great news Derek.  My old man saw the top dog from Guys 2 weeks ago and his levels are stable with a see you in a few months.  He has gone from crapping himself to just worry like a normal 82 year old about what bit is going to drop off next!
  • Comedian Jimmy Tarbuck has revealed he has been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

The veteran Liverpudlian comic told ITV's Good Morning Britain he would "try and beat it".

Tarbuck said he received the diagnosis the day after his 80th birthday earlier this month.

"Right now I feel great. I'm on the telly and I'm having a good time," he said, adding that the cancer had not spread.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51558334

• Can I ask if there are any downsides to having your prostate removed ?  I thought I remember reading something about ED or such like...?
  • Diagnosis was five years ago, partial prostatectomy soon after, all clear ever since. Hope your treatment goes as well as mine. 
  • There is a price to pay golfaddick for what my consultant at Guys called "major engineering down below". and ED and incontinence are a consequence but both can be overcome with medication and perseverence and I don't have either problem now. 
    I was aware of these things before my operation but chose to have the prostate removed because I didn't want any form of cancer inside my body.
    It turned out to be the right decision because I can now lead a normal cancer free life with everything functioning perfectly.
    I would however reiterate that, if in doubt, get a PSA test done for peace of mind. Too many men die unnecessarily for the want of a simple blood test.
  • It's ok, I wont get cancer just yet.

I have Critical illness cover that runs until I'm 60 so sods law says that I'll get something once the cover ends. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2020
    Derek1952 said:
    Just received a letter from Hospital telling me what my P.S.A was at last visit,which I have been trying to find out. From 1200 last June,and after my visit in November it is now 0.29. So
     Iam to carry on with Hormone Injectionns every three months and next visit is in six months.Consultant is pleased.
    Derek that's absolutely fantastic news. I'm very pleased for you.

Were these wonderful results achieved simply from hormone injections?
  • Derek1952 said:
    Just received a letter from Hospital telling me what my P.S.A was at last visit,which I have been trying to find out. From 1200 last June,and after my visit in November it is now 0.29. So
     Iam to carry on with Hormone Injectionns every three months and next visit is in six months.Consultant is pleased.
    Nice one - good news.
  • For the first two months from June 2019 I was taking hormone tablets after that I have had injections every three months. That is all so it must be a good drug.
  • That's excellent Derek. Best of luck to a continued successful treatment.  Good news. 
  • Thanks everone for you good wishes
  • Derek1952 said:
    Thanks everone for you good wishes
    Nice to hear some good news. I'm really pleased for you - must have been a very stressful time.
  • As comments show diagnosis is good since firrst was told the news in 2019. Because of the pnademic I have not been to see any consultant so
    hopping things are moving in the right direction. As for treatment iam still having Hormone injections every 12 weeks,which can make you feel anxious which
    at times I do feel a little depressed. For those of you who are having Hormone injictions do you feel the same. The injections are Zoladex.
  • Derek1952 said:
    As comments show diagnosis is good since firrst was told the news in 2019. Because of the pnademic I have not been to see any consultant so
    hopping things are moving in the right direction. As for treatment iam still having Hormone injections every 12 weeks,which can make you feel anxious which
    at times I do feel a little depressed. For those of you who are having Hormone injictions do you feel the same. The injections are Zoladex.
    Good to hear from you again, Derek.

Hoping you will be able to see your consultant before too long for reassurance & that other Lifers might be able to comment on the treatment you are having from their own experiences. 

Take care & please keep in touch with us on here .
  • Sponsored links:

• Derek1952 said:
    As comments show diagnosis is good since firrst was told the news in 2019. Because of the pnademic I have not been to see any consultant so
    i went back on Zoladex last August after a 3 year "break". PSA had started to creep back up again. In short the zoladex wasn't working as it it should have done resulting in a raised testosterone level which wasn't helping my prostate cancer. My consultant decided the next course of action was to remove the old cream crackers! Which wasn't much fun. Hopefully my levels will have come down now.
  • cafcdog. A bit late from your post but I have been reading on MACMILLIAN website that Hormone treatment such as Zoladex(my injections) can only be given for
     Three Years.Do you know if this is true. I have posted to a MACMILLIAN Nurse and waiting for reply. So far Iam 18 months into treatment.
  • i think the doctors like to give you a rest on hormone treatment after 3 years especially if your psa is low. This was the case with me anyway. my consultant told me if the psa started to rise again i would be put back on the zoladex, which happened to me.