Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Underrated musical acts

Comments

• Madonna? Ok she's shifted a load of records, but I can't think of many other acts that have reinvented themselves and stayed relevant for quite so long. She's not usually talked of for her music as much as her other exploits.

Bowie is probably in the same bag, and got the credit he richly deserved (not saying Madonna is as good as Bowie here)

Paul Weller fits into that category as well, I suppose, when you consider the music of the Jam, Style Council and his solo work
  • Jeff Beck

Musicians musician. BBC4 had a doc about him where they were queuing up to praise him. Davd Gilmour was explaining something Beck can play  "which is incredibly difficult - trust me, I've tried it"
  • Chaz and Dave
  • Lonnie Donegan
  • Macronate said:
    Roxy Music.

Never thought they, and in particular Bryan Ferry got the credit they deserved.
    Brian Eno = the world's most played musician.
  • edited October 2019
    Stig said:
    Fad Gadget and Blancmange

Yup , but i am a bit Biased , Blancmange have been very prolific over the past 6 years , and their albums highly recommended , WUNDERLUST is a great album .

• Stig said:
    Solidgone said:
    Be Bob Delux
    Bill Nelson's Red Noise and Bill Nelson receding as Bill Nelson - admittedly he can be a little avant-garde for mainstream pop tastes.

Bill Nelson by past me somehow , im just starting to work my way through his back catalogue , particuly like The Love That Whirls & Quit Dreaming ( And Get On The Beam )
  • Sponsored links:

• Bob Seger, John Mellencamp, Jimmy Buffett.

All massive in the USA but underrated in the UK, hence they rarely gig in Britain.
  • Adam And The Ants
  • Camel
    Always gives me the hump how underrated they are 
  • Loose ends (incl Jane Eugene) even tho they didn't do too bad stateside & Go West, With Peter Cox belting them out, think they should've done better than what they did.
    Saw Carl Macintosh with a ‘loose ends experience’ at the Jazz Cafe 4 or 5 years ago.
    No Jane or Steve Nicoll but was a really good night.
    Same thing was advertised as supporting the SOS band later that year. Unfortunately it was Carl singing to backing tracks. 
    The SOS band were brilliant though. Mary Davis, what a voice.

• Public Broadcasting Service
    Bellowhead
    Flaming Lips
  • The Spitfires
  • Psychedelic Furs
  • Half Man Half Biscuit.

Some of the best social commentary around and musically they've come along way since the jokey song titles they were first known for, like 'All I Want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague Away Kit', 'I Hate Nerys Hughes' and 'I Was a Teenage Armchair Honved Fan.'

Very good live band too.
  • Dance Gavin Dance should be infinitely more popular than they are
  • Sponsored links:

• The Shins
    Bombay Bicycle Club
  • The Shins
    Bombay Bicycle Club
    I preferred Jack Steadman's Mr Jukes persona. Hope that wasn't a one-off Mr Jukes album because I loved it, and because he is back with Bombay Bicycle Club now.
  • Don MacLean 
  • lolwray said:
    Don MacLean 
    As in "American Pie"? If so then there's not really any situation we can say he's underrated, surely? It's one of the great songs.
  • Loose ends (incl Jane Eugene) even tho they didn't do too bad stateside & Go West, With Peter Cox belting them out, think they should've done better than what they did.
    Saw Carl Macintosh with a ‘loose ends experience’ at the Jazz Cafe 4 or 5 years ago.
    No Jane or Steve Nicoll but was a really good night.
    Same thing was advertised as supporting the SOS band later that year. Unfortunately it was Carl singing to backing tracks. 
    The SOS band were brilliant though. Mary Davis, what a voice.

• Nice one mate, love SOS Band, sands of time is one favourite albums. Few years back, Indigo-O2 had a spell of having top drawer Soul acts like,like Chic, Atlantic Starr, Loose Ends (carl mckintosh turned up late) SOS band, was absolutely brilliant.  Love all that stuff.  Mary Davis - amazing
  • PaddyP17 said:
    lolwray said:
    Don MacLean 
    As in "American Pie"? If so then there's not really any situation we can say he's underrated, surely? It's one of the great songs.
    Indeed But I think the wider body of his work has been overlooked..in that regard I see him as underrated. And still performing brilliantly into his 70s...
  • A British prog rock band called IQ. Been going for over 30 years with a small but loyal following.  Similarly, Marillion - although they seem to be getting some newfound respect these days.  
  • They who released my user name and The Silencers. Beautiful South as well. 
  • The Mystery Jets
    Lloyd Cole