Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Underrated musical acts

Comments

• Options
    Fad Gadget and Blancmange
  • Options
    Captain Beefheart
  • Options
    Just for some variation

The Velvet Underground
    The Band
    The Velvet Underground? Nico is often found in top 20 albums of all time. Surprised you put them in as I thought everyone loved them.
  • Options
    Aztec Camera. In my opinion Rody Frame is one of the best song writers to come out of the 80s.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Just for some variation

The Velvet Underground
    The Band
    The Velvet Underground? Nico is often found in top 20 albums of all time. Surprised you put them in as I thought everyone loved them.
    Do a poll on here. I'd guess most have never heard them.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Aztec Camera. In my opinion Rody Frame is one of the best song writers to come out of the 80s.
    Great call
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Just for some variation

The Velvet Underground
    The Band
    Really? I'd have thought Charlton Life would have a demographic extremely likely to have heard of the Velvet Underground.

They're an excellent and extremely influential band. Not sure if you could really call them underrated.
  • Options
    Jackie Leven

Robb Johnson 

• Options
    That Petrol Emotion 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    Just for some variation

The Velvet Underground
    The Band
    I think that claiming Thé Velvet Underground as underrated is bit odd. They're one of the most famous bands in history.
  • Options
    Gene
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    PopIcon said:
    Just for some variation

The Velvet Underground
    The Band
    Really? I'd have thought Charlton Life would have a demographic extremely likely to have heard of the Velvet Underground.

They're an excellent and extremely influential band. Not sure if you could really call them underrated.
    Heard, not heard of.

The Velvets are a musos band, they're not that well known or listened to.

Brilliant band and very influential but not that well known and so underrated
  • Options
    Scott Walker. I appreciate that the Walker Brothers were a huge pop act, and his earlier solo albums were hits in the 60s, but when he got interesting with his own stuff... You don't hear him mentioned all that much, certainly not as someone who really pushed the boundaries
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Scott Walker. I appreciate that the Walker Brothers were a huge pop act, and his earlier solo albums were hits in the 60s, but when he got interesting with his own stuff... You don't hear him mentioned all that much, certainly not as someone who really pushed the boundaries
    'Do I hear 21...21...21.' I must admit I found Walker's more 'recent' solo albums a tough listen. But then, you know, I like Tim Buckley's Star Sailor. As an aside, the nominal title track of Star Sailor apparently sends dogs mental.
  • Options
    Chas and Dave.
    Most people think they were a novelty act, but anyone who’s seen them live will testify they were a lot more than that.
    Always bothered me that Chas and Dave were referred to as a novelty act.

Well Pleased, Mustn't Grumble and Job Lot are great records. Lots and lots of very good album tracks..
  • Options
    Tiny Tim
  • Options
    Acab said:
    Little Feat.
    I thought they were crap at the valley. 
    The crowd were bored until Alex Harvey came on.
    Your right but they were the wrong type of band for that  concert.
  • Options
    Loose ends (incl Jane Eugene) even tho they didn't do too bad stateside & Go West, With Peter Cox belting them out, think they should've done better than what they did.
  • Options
    Acab said:
    Little Feat.
    I thought they were crap at the valley. 
    The crowd were bored until Alex Harvey came on.
    Yup ... and he was brilliant 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cindi Lauper.
  • Options
    Dumpies Rusty Nuts, great live band. 
  • Options
    Roxy Music.

Never thought they, and in particular Bryan Ferry got the credit they deserved.
  • Options
    The Wedding Present - cracking live band never got the recognition they deserved.
  • Options
    The Groundhogs.

Gentle Giant.
  • Options
    Cherry Ghost 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Cherry Ghost 
    Totally agree 
  • Options
    Velvet underground and a lot of Lou reed’s work was really underrated and sometimes panned at the time that it was released and ignored by the paying public. It’s not til later they/he got the recognition they deserved 
  • Options
    Chas and Dave.
    Most people think they were a novelty act, but anyone who’s seen them live will testify they were a lot more than that.
    Indeed, saw them a few years ago and they did a 3 and 1/2 hour show with a small break in the middle. 
  • Options
    In terms of actual ability I would say Alice Cooper - better known for the "shock rock" antics and theatrics but this overshadows genuinely good music and song writing and he's still out there trying new stuff and working on different styles today when he's been around for 40+ years now.