Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fulham v Charlton | Sat 05 Oct | 12:30pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Fulham v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 5th October 2019 … 12:30pm Kick-Off
Referee: Keith Stroud (Yup Seriously!!)

Introduction
If anything has been learnt from the last five days then it’s the fact that Charlton do have the ability to go toe to toe with the heavyweights at this level – A fortuitous three points against Leeds United on Saturday was followed up with a narrow defeat last night against Swansea, and whilst its always tough to take any defeat there were plenty of positives from our last display – This Saturday will see the Addicks travelling across London for the second London Derby of the season; Fulham our hosts under the spotlight of the SKY cameras!!

The Opposition
Name: Fulham | Manager: Scott Parker
Ground: Craven Cottage

If there was one aspect to take pride from at the turn of the Millennium it was the fact that nearly ever league club wanted to “do a Charlton” when it came to tackling the Premier League

Two years ago we saw Fulham making a return to the top flight and after just one season returned to the Championship in a fashion that I’m sure no clubs will be eager to repeat – Big name signings such as Andre Schurrle (supposedly a two year loan) and Jean Michael Seri proved to be flops and Scott Parker (their third managerial appointment last season) was left to pick up the pieces after being given the job full-time this summer

Surely for the first time ever we’ll see two ex-Academy players (both having extremely successful careers) facing off against each other as Managers; Scott Parker’s exit from Charlton will always be a sore spot but his transition into Management shows promise… Like most Managers these days he likes his team to keep the ball down and so pass around teams – Tom Cairney will key to any Fulham attacks as we attempt a better effort than our local rivals who would only have 16% of the possession in a 4-0 defeat this season!!

Charlton Team News
Unfortunately like last season it appears as though injuries are slowly piling up for Lee Bowyer, thankfully this term the impact appears less, a stronger squad meaning that more rotation can happen with their being less impact on both the team and results.

This Saturday we have the big question of who plays at Left-Back; Ben Purrington has been suffering with a calf-injury and finally succumbed towards the end of the game last night – It leaves Bowyer with the choice of playing Naby Sarr or even Jason Pearce out wide, or he can go with the likes of Adam Matthews who made an impressive debut (albeit in his natural right-back position) against the Swans!!

Of course with 24-hours less preparation than Fulham its all about squad selection as a whole for the weekend – We’ll surely see the likes of Jonny Williams returning to the fold along with Darren Pratley, so giving us some much needed experience ahead of the onslaught that we should expect.

Phillips
Oshilaja | Lockyer | Pearce | Sarr
Cullen | Pratley | Williams
Gallagher
Aneke | Leko

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Solly | Field | Forster-Caskey | Bonne | Oztumer | Matthews

Prediction
Craven Cottage is not a happy place for Charlton of late… 2005 is the last time we got a result (0-0) whilst 1986 was the last time we were victorious in this part of London – If we’ve learnt anything under Bowyer though its that he’s constantly breaking these mini-jinxes… Saturday will probably be our toughest away game of the season, our chances will be slim – So lets go cause another upset!!

Comments

• Options
    Not up to your usual standard mate 😂
  • Options
    Paragraphs being edited ;-)
  • Options
    Damn... Was kinda hoping that I'd been quick enough there lol!
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    Good preview as ever FA , would go with Solly at right back though. Anyway gonna go for 1 -1 draw , Lockyer getting a late equaliser.
  • Options
    Yes, defo one of the hardest away games of the season coming up, and we will be tired from the arduous two home games played this week.  We will need Solly back, and Matthews may have to switch sides (I'd rather he played full back than Sarr against a fast skillfull team), and Pratley has to come in to give us that back five flexibility (despite Field doing OK last night). Cullen and Gallagher looked exhausted against Swansea but will have to go again as we have little option. Williams will start. Up front you can perm two from Leko, Bonne, and Aneke I think, with maybe Chucks getting a start with Leko this time?

Sadly I think we might be on  hiding - 4-0 to Fulham - though this team never cease to amaze me so you never know!
  • Options
    We have a terrible record at Fulham, going to be very tough, I fear we may concede a few goals 
  • Options
    3-0/3-1 Fulham, not much confidence, we looked dead on our feet last night. They have had 24 hours rest, could be a riot if they score early. Shame I think we can compete but not with a midweek fixture in between
  • Options
    Think we would have gone 3 at the back from the start if we had Purrington. In his absence and with no other option to play a wing back role on that side I think it will be a back 4. Midfield picks itself

Bonne has held the ball up well and put himself about, I want that alongside Aneke's physical presence from the start. THe bonus of this is Leko gives us some pace and direct running going forwards off the bench which we have lacked of late.

Phillips
    Solly Lockyer Pearce Sarr
    Pratley Cullen
    Gallagher Williams
    Aneke Bonne

Amos, Oshilaja, Matthews, Field, JFC, Oztumer, Leko
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I fear a drubbing.  Hope I’m wrong. 
  • Options
    expect a loss and quite a heavy one. 

that said its a local day out, beers with pals before and after 

and who knows we were gonna get battered by leeds last week. 
  • Options
    We still played 3 at the back last night, even after Ben went off, with JFC in that LWB position. 

We suffered last night from playing 2 consecutive games where we had to give 110% chasing the opposition, and Saturday is likely to be similar. A shame Kayal and I assume Lapslie are unavailable as they might have been useful with the short turnaround, as Cullen looked a bit tired last night. I'd definitely start Aneke, he looked dangerous and will be much fresher than Leko and Bonne.

Cairney is on fire, we HAVE to close him down if he's at the edge of the box as at the moment he's lethal from 20 yards
  • Options
    Think we could actually see Pratley move into the central of defence as it will also allow us to push him into midfield if needed during the game. Unsure whether Matthews will be okay enough to play again on Saturday, but if not, Oshilaja to come in for him. At some point Cullen and Gallagher are going to need a rest, both of them and Lockyer have not had the chance really to be rested. Hopefully when Kayal is fit, we will be able to rotate the middle two in midfield a bit more. Think it would be harsh to drop Bonne, but can I really see him playing three 90 minutes in a week? That's a tough ask. 

Unforunately, with now having 6 players out injured, having a whole day less to prepare and rest, and Fulham's ridiculous squad for this level, I think it's going to be too much for us on Saturday. 

Phillips
    Lockyer Pratley Sarr
    Matthews Cullen Gallagher Solly
    Aneke Williams
    Leko

Amos, Pearce, Oshilaja, Field, Forster-Caskey, Oztumer, Bonne

Fulham 2-0 Charlton Athletic
  • Options
    Battling 1-0 victory. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Think we need a draw to balance us somewhat.

We'll go with same side as Leeds. 

I'd start Aneke and Bonne as they seem on the same wavelength.

I'd go with 

Phillips
    Solly Lockyer Sarr Matthews
    Pratley
    Field Cullen
    Williams
    Aneke Bonne
    Amos, Oshilaja, Pearce, Gallagher, Oztumer, Forster-Caskey, Leko

Think I might swap Matthews for Deji if he can't play LB 
  • Options
    On Saturday 5 and Sunday 6 October, there will be no District Line service between Edgware Road / South Kensington and Hammersmith / Wimbledon / Kensington (Olympia). This is due to track replacement work. Use alternative Tube, local or replacement bus routes.
  • Options
    Takes a brave man to predict a Charlton win......I'm going for a 1-1 draw.
  • Options
    masicat said:
    Battling 1-0 victory. 
    Works for me 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting that it's a new problem for Purrington, his groin. Assuming he doesn't play Saturday, the international break is well timed as he can rest for 2 weeks.
  • Options
    So convince that we will get stuffed and the 12.30 KO I am giving this a swerve. My last two visits to Fulham have an agg score of 7-0.

Come on Charlton punish me for me total lack of faith an give it too them.

Sadly can't see though

3 -0 Fulham
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    On Saturday 5 and Sunday 6 October, there will be no District Line service between Edgware Road / South Kensington and Hammersmith / Wimbledon / Kensington (Olympia). This is due to track replacement work. Use alternative Tube, local or replacement bus routes.
    Or take main line from Waterloo to Putney and walk, not that much further than Putney bridge tube and you will get there quicker from South east London/ Kent area
  • Options
    I don't think I've ever predicted a Charlton loss on here but I honestly can't see beyond a defeat Saturday. 
    3.1 Fulham. 
    Please prove me wrong Charlton. 
  • Options
    We have a terrible record at Fulham, going to be very tough, I fear we may concede a few goals 
    This....can see ya losing this 3 or 4 - 1, I think the international break this time around will be a welcome break as opposed to the last one 
  • Options
    What time kick off FA? Not 3pm
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    What time kick off FA? Not 3pm
    Cheers mate!!
  • Options
    Difficult to see us getting us anything but with 'look at me' Stroud in the middle there are likely to be cards and penalties flying around and you never know, he might actually favour us for once.  I expect either LB or SP to be shown a red, possibly both of them as it's on telly 
  • Options
    The team looked shagged out and a bit dispirited after the Swansea game .. it's gonna take a near herculean effort to get anything from a classy and tough side like Fulham awash as they are with cash and good players.
    Sarr needs to play to deal with Mitrovic and a way needs to be found to stop Knockaert and Cairney .. we need to find a way to penetrate a very good defence. It will be VERY difficult

I never predict a loss .. but in this case, if we can scrape even a point on Saturday, I will be over the proverbial moon .. as I typed elsewhere, the Leeds win has given us a minimum 3 points against the best 3 sides in the division .. I'd have taken that before the season started .. the international break will be very welcome to get some fitness back into the squad .. then back on the relentless treadmill against more good teams 

Fulham 2 v CAFC 2 (fingers, legs, arms, toes all crossed)
  • Options
    I don't think I've ever predicted a Charlton loss on here but I honestly can't see beyond a defeat Saturday. 
    3.1 Fulham. 
    Please prove me wrong Charlton. 
    Believe I’m the same, don’t think I’ve ever predicted a loss before until now.

If we had Taylor and a couple of other players fit, I would say we would get a result. Right now I just can’t see it, unfortunately.