Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Legends You've Chatted To

Comments

• Options
    Dennis the leader. 
    There can't be a bigger legend than him.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Dennis the leader. 
    There can't be a bigger legend than him.
    Absolutely. Close the thread.
  • Options
    Chatted to Paul Walsh who was trying to be incognito in a bar before a Charlton game against Barnsley. Walsh was injured. He was fine, joked a bit and signed my father in Laws programme.
  • Options
    Not a legend but at the 17-18 player of the season dinner was sat next to Harry Lennon so was able to have a long chat with him. Absolute top bloke, couldn't have been more open and friendly to talk to. Really hope it works out for him at Southend. 

Lapslie, Kermorgant, Bowyer, Powell and Ricky Holmes all very nice people to chat to at Chris Solly's testimonial as well.
  • Options
    I spoke to Michael Gray in New York once. 
  • Options
    Met Paul Miller a few times ..played cricket against Colin Powell, Steve gritt, Mark penfold, Johnny bumstead, Bob Curtis and farmer Giles 
  • Options
    Had a chat with Arthur Horsfield in a bar in Spain the other night, thoroughly nice bloke and looking well for his age.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bob Bolder
    John Humphrey
    Andy Peake
    Steve Gritt
    Colin Pates
    Jim Melrose
    Tommy Caton 
    Dennis Booth 
    Matt Holmes 

• Options
    Met Andy Petterson and Paul Sturgess up the creek in Greenwich after a Reading away game, think it was 2-2 and David Whyte scored a great goal against the keeper with the syrup. Andy was a nice guy down to earth and really easy to talk to, Sturgess was more standoffish although I think he was more interested in trying to cop off with the local talent than talk to us half pissed herberts.
  • Options
    Chatted to Bob Bolder a few times - lovely bloke. 
  • Options
    A very drunk Graham Stuart in a bar in Prague.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Chris Duffy and Don Welsh back at '82 opening of the new JS stand.
    Any managers or former managers?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Chris Duffy and Don Welsh back at '82 opening of the new JS stand.
    Winner
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @AFKABartram and @DaveMehmet on an Upbeats walk a couple of years ago. Legends the pair of them!

Derek Hales when he caddied for his son at a golf event at our club. It was when the protests against RD were gathering pace I recall Derek was, at the time, more circumspect about RD than I imagined he would be. “Be careful what you wish for” and “at least he pays the bills” were some of his views. Those may have hardened over time, who knows. I also recall him drinking at a rate of about three beers to my one and I’m no slouch!! There were a few tinnies in the golf bag too!

Bob Bolder on a sponsor’s tour of the tunnel and pitch etc. Nice bloke. 

Keith Peacock. Member of my golf club so say hello a fair bit. Actually, not seen him for a bit so not sure he’s still a member. 
  • Options
    Sailor brown in Bartrams in the late 90s, he seemed pretty shocked someone asked for his autograph 
  • Options
    My husband bought me the signed picture of Colin Walsh scoring 'that goal' which was produced in his testimonial year. As the goal was scored on my birthday my husband contacted the club to see if they could do something special.
    Consequently Colin Walsh knocked on my front door on December 4th and delivered it himself, spent about 45 minutes chatting and watching the Monday Night Football. Lovely guy and so kind of him to take the time to do what he did.
    Used to work with him. Lovely bloke and massive Charlton fan.
  • Options
    Had a chat with Arthur Horsfield in a bar in Spain the other night, thoroughly nice bloke and looking well for his age.
    Was he running it mate, or on hols, as he used to run the viewpoint club in Gravesend for years. 
  • Options
    None, unless Martin Simons counts!
  • Options
    My husband bought me the signed picture of Colin Walsh scoring 'that goal' which was produced in his testimonial year. As the goal was scored on my birthday my husband contacted the club to see if they could do something special.
    Consequently Colin Walsh knocked on my front door on December 4th and delivered it himself, spent about 45 minutes chatting and watching the Monday Night Football. Lovely guy and so kind of him to take the time to do what he did.
    Posted it a while back but my dad did some drawing work for Colin Walsh and always raved about how much a great guy he was, he brought me round as he had kids the same age so we messed around whilst they drank Scotch and chatted about Charlton.

Met Derek Hales when I was about 6 and a mascot for a game when we were in Div 1 in the mid-90s. Having religiously watched our 'The Seventies' compilation VHS over and over I asked him "how many balls do you have?" (meaning match balls from his many hat-tricks) - after a quick smirk he told me it was eight or something, I asked him which his favourite was (he didn't have one) and I told him mine was his vs Hull in 1976... which he found funny. I watched that tape a lot.

Wouldn't mention it otherwise but I also met El Karkouri in Bluewater (@Redweb).... but in the food court.
  • Options
    Mates ex Mrs had a pop at Mike Salmon for opening the door onto her back in The Horse years ago.

Curbs 14/1 and Gritt been in there a couple of times an all on non football days / nights in the past an all. 

Shook Lennie Lawrence's hand outside the Oak once, after his time at the Club. I think he knew someone I was with but can't remember who it was now
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Played with Keith Peacock in the Charlton youth team, fortunately for him, he went on to be a legend and unfortunately for me everyone says WHO?  :)
    There's only one ross1 ross1.
  • Options
    Charlie Revel , was a Sports Master at my Secondary School, Was a gentleman! I asked him if i had any chance of making it as a pro. He reply was make sure i did my homework, and the Ford garage over the road was looking for apprentices.