Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Legends You've Chatted To

Comments

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    Swisdom said:
    Have played golf over the years with ;
    Dillon Phillips - lovely chap
    tony watt - batshit mental
    Scott Minto a few times - as nice as you would imagine
    Theo Foley - lovely bloke
    Paul Walsh - utter bellend
    derek hales - legend. Great golfer too
    Doc (physio) - really open and honest
    Matt Taylor - unbelievably humble and down to Earth. 
    Sasa Ilic - recent golfer and very open and chatty
    Lyle Taylor - nice guy and chatty. 
    Phil Chapple - encyclopaedia of football in that mans head

I like the fact that they are either really nice, top bloke chatty...or the opposite being, batshit mental or a twat 🙂
    My point is we usually have a certain “type” but Watt was grumpy, swore a lot and was disinterested and didn’t engage. Walsh is known for being the aforementioned bellsniffer.i just confirmed my personal experience.

everyone else were thoroughly decent chaps - as I would expect from Charlton.

Also forgot Paul Elliott and a Charlie Wright. Both also super chatty and friendly.
  • Options
    Far too many to mention.
  • Options
    Both of them.

Our school won a competition and Jackie (and a few other legends) was there chatting away to a hall full of teenagers. I didnt understand a word when he chatted to our group.

Many years ago Bobby trotted out his stories after a works get together. Very well versed.
  • Options
    I see Swissdom met Paul Walsh and said he was a bellend. 

A friend of mine last year went to Burma on one of these help missions and said a footballer was there who played for Spurs (lol) he said his name was Paul Walsh and he was little and he said he acted like a twat.
  • Options
    Mickey Bennett. A couple of weeks after his transfer to Wimbledon. I used to work with his aunt and she got a fed up with me and the other Charlton supporters asking for information about all things Charlton. So, a week or two after his transfer, she arranged for him to come into the office and talk to us.* Really nice bloke. Basically he put Wimbledon's comparative success down to a can do mentality. He said if Charlton were due to play Arsenal, the plan was to escape with a point: Wimbledon would plan to win.

Unfotunately he suffered a career threatening injury a couple of weeks later and although he played on for a few years later, including rejoining us later on, he was never the same player again.

*Fortunately my boss at the time was a Charlton supporter who now posts on this forum.
  • Options
    I once gave Cory Gibbs directions to the Training ground and he was never to be seen again. 

He's still a Charlton legend though 😉
  • Options
    Couple more I forgot. anyone remember Leighton Phillips, think he was on loan to us from Swansea at the time (late 70's) well a few of us met him and Steve Gritt in the George pub in Singlewell (Gravesend) one Friday night, they were both quite chatty and informative.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I once gave Cory Gibbs directions to the Training ground and he was never to be seen again. 
    Shame it was not the other way round.
  • Options
    I met Paul Walsh a couple of years ago played a round of golf with him and was in a buggy with him and he was ok 
    on the wagon and on a footballers and cricketers golf trip in Portugal 
    he was out till 3 in the morning on soft drinks , coffee 
    FairPlay to him 
    He loved Derek Hales , his bouncer on the pitch .
    I was pretty hammered playing golf with him and he was alright 

same golf trip my pre Charlton interview with Bowyer took place , you’re all welcome .

Robert Lee was on same trip but I’d been on some city lunch with him a few years back and his hatred of Pardew knows no bounds .

• Options
    Loads over the years but one of the best was George Green, who played in the late 30’s. He lived next door to my mate with his wife Connie in Eltham and chatted to him a few times. 
    He used to work at the Express dairy in Welling in the 70s always singing 
  • Options
    Loads over the years but one of the best was George Green, who played in the late 30’s. He lived next door to my mate with his wife Connie in Eltham and chatted to him a few times. 
    He used to work at the Express dairy in Welling in the 70s always singing 
    Off topic but as a young kid at weekends and school holidays I used to be a milk boy out of that Welling depot, delivering the milk around Chislehurst from about 73' till 77' when the old man took us oop north.  
  • Options
    A few but most notably Bob Curtis who used to drink in the British Oak and Dave Shipperley who thought I was a taxi driver. In one game in which Bob got injured he got to the pub before me.
  • Options
    Johnny Summers and Eddie Firmani plus many more......but those two are at the top of my list.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    The best was having a drink with Sasa Ilic in a rather dodgy bar in Kuala Lumpur.

The worst was trying to hold a conversation with a very drunk Stuart Balmer. I honestly didn't understand a word he was saying!
  • Options
    Karl Howman at the Churchill Theatre in Bromley.
  • Options
    A brief word with Seb.
  • Options

The worst was trying to hold a conversation with a very drunk Stuart Balmer. I honestly didn't understand a word he was saying!
    I had the same problem when he was sober 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chris Powell at the Hideaway in Streatham to see Fred Wesley. Not saying anything new, but he is the nicest bloke in the world.

I interviewed Curbishley every month for an entire season at the training ground, including that memorable time when he stripped down to his pants in front of me in order to put on his training kit. 

Graham Stuart. Again nice bloke. He and Chris Powell went to the same secondary school in Raynes Park.

But by far the most memorable was Shaun Bartlett. I saw him looking at a girl's arse in Victoria Station and I asked him if he would be playing at the weekend, as he'd been out with an injury. He simply laughed and walked off. Remember it like it was yesterday. Absolute top bloke.
  • Options
    John Bumstead -Sainsbury’s carpark, Eltham.

I nodded to Dennis Rommedahl in Chislehurst. 

I said hello to Lennie Lawrence as he came out from a dry cleaners in New Eltham. He was a bit grumpy. 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Only one for me: John Humphrey.

It was in the club shop before a midweek game at the end of the 2008-2009 season (Cardiff?) when we got relegated from the second division.

I saw Johnny H picking up a replica shirt and taking it to the till. I asked him if he had his boits in the car because we needed someone of his quality and calibre. He just laughed and said not today. He then said to keep my eye out on a kid coming through the Academy who was going to be better than he was.

The kid's name?

Chris Solly.
  • Options
    Keith Peacock. Not surprising but I met him about 20 years ago at an event at Charlton and he did not remember me, although we played in Charlton youth team together, but then I only remember the players in that team that become famous, Peacock, Bonds, Harford, Stocks and none of the other players, so what can I expect. Always a nice feller 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    25May98 said:
    John Bumstead -Sainsbury’s carpark, Eltham.

I nodded to Dennis Rommedahl in Chislehurst. 

I said hello to Lennie Lawrence as he came out from a dry cleaners in New Eltham. He was a bit grumpy. 
    Lennie has come across as the life and soul of the party, BUT a total legend.
  • Options
    Rob Elliot in the stands @ Southampton

Anthony Barness and Martin Pringle at a autograph signing in Bexleyheath Shopping Centre just before we won the First Division
  • Options
    Spent the evening with Garry Nelson & Bob Bolder when on the ride to Amsterdam when the youngsters went into town, both great guys, Paul Parker was also there, not Charlton of course but entertaining none the less. Poor old Bob had me for 2 hours on the coach as well  :D
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Once started a conversation with Garth Crooks OBE (as written on his name badge) but got interrupted shortly afterwards by someone calling him "Mr Obe"

Now tbat is an annoying chap