Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brentford new stadium

124Ā»

Comments

• Stefco said:
    Off_it said:
    se9addick said:
    Really looks impressive on Sky Sports with them being shown aroundĀ 
    Watched that and had the opposite reaction, think itā€™s really underwhelming - think itā€™s small size shows a lack of ambition.Ā 
    It shows that they are a small club with a small support, that's all.
    They had to fit the ground into a tiny bit of land, don't know if there was an alternative plot available anywhere nearby. Guess they had to sell Griffin Park to fund land purchase & building costs as first thing I thought of was why not demolish Griffin Park & rebuild while sharing with QPR for a season. Not that they need more than 17,500 capacity but they could have made it moreĀ aesthetically pleasing. Whats with the sloping roofs everywhere ? Both ends & either side, can understand if building a new stand at an existing stadium & you want to connect stands but why with a new build ?
    It was actually a decent sized plot, but the majority of it has been used for new-build luxury flats instead.Ā Ā 
    I remember when they showed the site before building commenced hemmed in by railway lines & wondering how they would fit a stadium in, I knew they had built some high rise blocks of flats there but not the majority of the site surely ? The flats are owned by the football club aren't they ? I'm sure I read they would provide steady regular income for the club so they must be rentals.

Edit: just seen offits post that some flats are the other side of the railway lines, didn't realise that they had that land as well.
    If I remember rightly it was all being treated as one development, but the land the other side of the track was going straight to a developer to build flats and as part of the deal they were building the ground and some other buildings (some flats and a hotel?) for the club.Ā Ā 

At least, that's where they were about 6/7 years ago, but everything was being held up because someone who owned a strip of land in the middle - a breakers yard, or something like that - wasn't budging and was holding out for more dough.
    I think that Spurs had the issue with the yard, pre-new build. I'm sure JohnboyUK wrote something about that on here. That sort of thing no doubt happens a lot though, wth new developments.

The Brentford stadium hasn't really grown on me, but it has a little bit more character than some of the new build stadiums.
    It is another ultra uniform match box built from mechanno with Lego seats...what character is that?
    It's not a bit uniform, when compared to other bowl stadiums or the New Den
    Milllllllll did not fill the corners in to form a wrap around on the advice of safety officers.

When the seats were being used as missiles it was thought that if the muppets were not a good shot they'd end up out of the ground and not on somebody's head.
    I always though the corners were open at the toolbox, because of cost, and Lewisham council didn't want to pay it at the time?
  • Just cannot like that Brentford ground. Yes it's different but not in a good way. The lounges also look more like something you'd find at a college. The guy in the video is also easily impressed by views it would appear!
  • My Dad is a Brentford fan and he loves the new stadium. I personally think the multicoloured seats ruin it.
  • I think the Brentford stadium can be built up to 25,000 if they ever get successfulĀ 
  • Stefco said:
    Off_it said:
    se9addick said:
    Watched that and had the opposite reaction, think itā€™s really underwhelming - think itā€™s small size shows a lack of ambition.Ā 
    They had to fit the ground into a tiny bit of land, don't know if there was an alternative plot available anywhere nearby. Guess they had to sell Griffin Park to fund land purchase & building costs as first thing I thought of was why not demolish Griffin Park & rebuild while sharing with QPR for a season. Not that they need more than 17,500 capacity but they could have made it moreĀ aesthetically pleasing. Whats with the sloping roofs everywhere ? Both ends & either side, can understand if building a new stand at an existing stadium & you want to connect stands but why with a new build ?
    It was actually a decent sized plot, but the majority of it has been used for new-build luxury flats instead.Ā Ā 
    I remember when they showed the site before building commenced hemmed in by railway lines & wondering how they would fit a stadium in, I knew they had built some high rise blocks of flats there but not the majority of the site surely ? The flats are owned by the football club aren't they ? I'm sure I read they would provide steady regular income for the club so they must be rentals.

Edit: just seen offits post that some flats are the other side of the railway lines, didn't realise that they had that land as well.
    If I remember rightly it was all being treated as one development, but the land the other side of the track was going straight to a developer to build flats and as part of the deal they were building the ground and some other buildings (some flats and a hotel?) for the club.Ā Ā 

At least, that's where they were about 6/7 years ago, but everything was being held up because someone who owned a strip of land in the middle - a breakers yard, or something like that - wasn't budging and was holding out for more dough.
    I think that Spurs had the issue with the yard, pre-new build. I'm sure JohnboyUK wrote something about that on here. That sort of thing no doubt happens a lot though, wth new developments.

The Brentford stadium hasn't really grown on me, but it has a little bit more character than some of the new build stadiums.
    I think the Spurs "issue" was solved, when the business refusing to sell accidentally caught fire....if I remember correctly!
  • YTS1978 said:
    Stefco said:
    Off_it said:
    se9addick said:

I think the Spurs "issue" was solved, when the business refusing to sell accidentally caught fire....if I remember correctly!
    You remember correctly