Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brentford new stadium

Comments

• Options
    Really looks impressive on Sky Sports with them being shown around 
    I live halfway between the old and new grounds, and must admit to not liking the exterior design, and the giant screen plonked on top of the roof looks ridiculous. Good to hear the interior looks impressive though. 
  • Options
    I quiet like it, think then new stadiums in London have all been architecturally interesting, suspect it’s because they are part of wider mixed developments and aren’t generic bowls on ex industrial waste land 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I quiet like it, think then new stadiums in London have all been architecturally interesting, suspect it’s because they are part of wider mixed developments and aren’t generic bowls on ex industrial waste land 
    Wimbledon's new stadium looks like a block of flats.
  • Options
    Watched that and had the opposite reaction, think it’s really underwhelming - think it’s small size shows a lack of ambition. 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Rothko said:
    Wimbledon's new stadium looks like a block of flats.
    It is the communal green space between half a dozen short tower blocks....
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Yes, it's dead easy to create a ground on an open site, surrounded by retail parks, as with all the forgettable out of town bowls built in recent years
  • Options
    Very underwhelming. That slope to the corner behind the goal looks awful. 

Sky commentator reckons it could generate an extra £4m a year revenue with the executive boxes they can sell.

I imagine compared to Griffin Park the Brentford fans will be pleased with this but this stadium won't have the same character as Griffin Park - unless they've made legroom non-existent like Griffin Park!
  • Options
    Saw the sky sports news piece. 
    The inside facilities look good but outside looks crap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Those seats are awful, all the talk about how little Brentford branding there is is true and the seats are where its arguably easiest to make it look like Brentfords ground.
  • Options
    London Irish are sharing the ground, which I think added to the seats issue.

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Watched that and had the opposite reaction, think it’s really underwhelming - think it’s small size shows a lack of ambition. 
    It shows that they are a small club with a small support, that's all.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    With those seats it looks like a stadium made out of Lego.  As new stadiums go , its very disappointing but good enough for  Brentford . 
  • Options
    I should add however that ground size is less of a barrier to success than before. The money from the gate is a smaller portion of a club's income. It doesn't necessarily mean a lack of ambition therefore.
  • Options
    Brentford until we’re taken over, and back in the Championship are in different tier to us. The stadium is a good size for them, and importantly they’ve got themselves a decent stadium within their local area. You’re always going to be hemmed in that part of London
  • Options
    Very underwhelming. That slope to the corner behind the goal looks awful. 

Sky commentator reckons it could generate an extra £4m a year revenue with the executive boxes they can sell.

I imagine compared to Griffin Park the Brentford fans will be pleased with this but this stadium won't have the same character as Griffin Park - unless they've made legroom non-existent like Griffin Park!
    Obviously 4m will do nicely, but they can generate 10 times that selling players to the premier league every summer.
  • Options
    The birds eye view looks awful, inside looks very lower division. Behind the scenes, not as fantastic or "huge" as the guy keeps telling you. The warm up room looks very small considering you could have 15/16 people warming up, the match officials room ? Think they got that mixed up with the broom cupboard. Obviously governed by space available but all looks a bit tinpot to me. Looks to be a fair amount of space in the bar areas, amazing what a wide angle lens can do :smile: Glad I'm not a Brentford supporter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looks very soulless , and dull! 
    A stadium that wouldn’t look out of place (‘outside’ wise anyway) in league one or league two.

almost a clone of the new AFC Wimbledon stadium 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I imagine that Brentford will be able to increase the capacity in the future.
    Unless Brentford get promoted their capacity of around 17,500 will be enough. If they get promoted the television money will compensate for the smaller capacity.
    Benham the chairman knows what he is doing. He's done a fantastic job so far.
    A far better job was once done at Charlton, then the expansion stopped. There was only one way to go after that and it was just a matter of time when it would go that way. A bigger stadium doesn’t guarantee success but a small stadium means you are just treading water if you have a bit of success, until the inevitable happens.
  • Options
    Having now seen it on sky, it looks terrible
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    se9addick said:
    They had to fit the ground into a tiny bit of land, don't know if there was an alternative plot available anywhere nearby. Guess they had to sell Griffin Park to fund building costs as first thing I thought of was why not demolish Griffin Park & rebuild while sharing with QPR for a season. Not that they need more than 17,500 capacity but they could have made it more aesthetically pleasing. Whats with the sloping roofs everywhere ? Both ends & either side, can understand if building a new stand at an existing stadium & you want to connect stands but why with a new build ?
  • Options
    It looks very cheap inside and out, not a fan.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    se9addick said:
    They had to fit the ground into a tiny bit of land, don't know if there was an alternative plot available anywhere nearby. Guess they had to sell Griffin Park to fund land purchase & building costs as first thing I thought of was why not demolish Griffin Park & rebuild while sharing with QPR for a season. Not that they need more than 17,500 capacity but they could have made it more aesthetically pleasing. Whats with the sloping roofs everywhere ? Both ends & either side, can understand if building a new stand at an existing stadium & you want to connect stands but why with a new build ?
    The site is completely surrounded by railway lines, so they were limited as to what they could do in two of the corners. In that respect they've done well to cram in what they have done. The alternative wouldve been just to leave the corners open, which probably wouldve looked worse. Just.

No doubt those who think anything new is a sign of progress will like it, but it does seem to lack real character and those seat colours! All very shiny and bland, as are most new grounds. But at least it looks like less of a housing estate than Wimbledon's.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    They had to fit the ground into a tiny bit of land, don't know if there was an alternative plot available anywhere nearby. Guess they had to sell Griffin Park to fund land purchase & building costs as first thing I thought of was why not demolish Griffin Park & rebuild while sharing with QPR for a season. Not that they need more than 17,500 capacity but they could have made it more aesthetically pleasing. Whats with the sloping roofs everywhere ? Both ends & either side, can understand if building a new stand at an existing stadium & you want to connect stands but why with a new build ?
    It was actually a decent sized plot, but the majority of it has been used for new-build luxury flats instead.  
  • Options
    Looks shitty
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    se9addick said:
    It was actually a decent sized plot, but the majority of it has been used for new-build luxury flats instead.  
    That's not quite true. The whole plot is a decent size, but it has a railway line running through it and a lot of the new flats are actually going to be on the other side of the railway line, so that bit could never really have been used as part of the new ground anyway.

The new flats on the football ground side of the tracks are in awkward corners where you couldn't put a football pitch anyway.

I spent quite a bit of time looking at the plans and speaking with with both the club and the contractor a few years back when this was on the drawing board, so in some ways it's nice to see the plan come to fruition, even if I don't particularly like the end result.
  • Options
    Should name it bottle job stadium