Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Owen on his move to Newcastle

2»

Comments

• Options
    I read his sorry tale in the Daily Mirror today, he is a complete arse.  Not just insulting to Newcastle United fans, but to football supporters everywhere.

Not only that, he is totally wooden and boring!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFnymJDZAS8

See what I mean?  Bet you couldn't watch the whole 10 minutes worth below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwq7gJlH59g
  • Options
    He's fairly inoffensive on the face of it.  He's a bit dull, a bit beige.  But he appears to have really upset a lot of people over the years and not well liked at all.  

• Options
    Has he gambled his money away?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Has he gambled his money away?
    not at all, he's used his money quite well and is worth a fair bit on top of what he earnt as a player.
  • Options
    Fair enough, I thought maybe because he is into horse racing he might have blown his dough.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Fair enough, I thought maybe because he is into horse racing he might have blown his dog.
    Think that's more greyhound nobbling. Would require some gob to do that with the gee gees.
  • Options
    It may seem ridiculous to us down south, but if you spend any amount of time in Newcastle and the surrounding area you realise they are huge up there. On a Saturday every other bloke is wearing a Newcastle shirt. If you’re into football there, there’s only one club you’re into. 

Its just their success, or lack thereof, has meant the volume of their support disappears quite quickly.
  • Options
    Owen played so many games as a teenager his body and pace started to desert him at 26 after the Injuries kicked in.
    More fool Newcastle and United giving him a big fat contract. Saying you went down in the world when you leave Real Madrid for Newcastle is like stating the Pope is a Catholic. 

Just because Michael Owen doesn't shag pensioners, he's boring !  I'm pleased I know nothing about his wife. Remember he said he had never read a book  since leaving school which does  make him sound uneducated but he's not alone in the last book he had was full of pictures.

In Michael Owen's world it's more horses for courses.

• Options
    It may seem ridiculous to us down south, but if you spend any amount of time in Newcastle and the surrounding area you realise they are huge up there. On a Saturday every other bloke is wearing a Newcastle shirt. If you’re into football there, there’s only one club you’re into. 

Its just their success, or lack thereof, has meant the volume of their support disappears quite quickly.
    They might have a big and passionate local support , but historically they've not been at the top for decades, other than the brief Keegan are.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He bought quite a few properties (including a whole estate in North Wales was it?), also owns a few racehorses. 
  • Options

They might have a big and passionate local support , but historically they've not been at the top for decades, other than the brief Keegan are.
    When you think of how big they are in terms of fan base and stadium, it's surprising that they've had such a lack of success.

Not won the top division since 1927 and their last major trophy (FA Cup) was in 1955!
  • Options

When you think of how big they are in terms of fan base and stadium, it's surprising that they've had such a lack of success.

Not won the top division since 1927 and their last major trophy (FA Cup) was in 1955!

I thought Newcastle won the Inter Cities Fairs Cup Final in 1969.
  • Options
    Although he sucks up to Liverpool in that quote, he was never as popular there as say, Robbie Fowler. It was felt for years that he tended to save his best for England games and treated his club career as a revenue stream. Aside from that, still the most grating voice of any commentator, in any sport, living, dead or otherwise.
    Liverpool fans used to refer to him as England's Michael Owen rather than Liverpool's.
  • Options
    Although he sucks up to Liverpool in that quote, he was never as popular there as say, Robbie Fowler. It was felt for years that he tended to save his best for England games and treated his club career as a revenue stream. Aside from that, still the most grating voice of any commentator, in any sport, living, dead or otherwise.
    Liverpool fans used to refer to him as England's Michael Owen rather than Liverpool's.
    The opinions of Liverpool fans on any subject is, by default, questionable.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/WqOxNspUPyE

Owen at his most smug.....
    I always liked Owen, but he comes across as a dick in that video. Big nev “well done, he is 13” says it all
  • Options
    Love he pissed off Newcastle fans and rinsed their pockets. Poxy one city club who’s fans think they’re owed something because they sell out every week. Proper hate them. 
  • Options
    edited September 2019

I thought Newcastle won the Inter Cities Fairs Cup Final in 1969.
    Image result for wow face
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr-GnrBUWdg

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    If i buy the audio version of his book he won't be the one reading it will he?
    You'll be the one falling to sleep.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I have absolutely no problem with Michael Owen, never let his country down and his clubs did well out of him, he got badly injured playing for England I don't believe he ever held back playing for his clubs either. 

He's had the temerity to be honest, loads of ex professional footballers have said they felt like they didnt earn the money at various stages of their career 
    Agree with this , but christ his boring monotone really grates
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I have absolutely no problem with Michael Owen, never let his country down and his clubs did well out of him, he got badly injured playing for England I don't believe he ever held back playing for his clubs either. 

He's had the temerity to be honest, loads of ex professional footballers have said they felt like they didnt earn the money at various stages of their career 
    Agree with this , but christ his boring monotone really grates
    Carter's alright 
  • Options

I always liked Owen, but he comes across as a dick in that video. Big nev “well done, he is 13” says it all
    I remember that programme from about 1999. They were kids tipped for good things in the game. I wonder how of them made it as pros.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

I’ve never had anything bad to say about him but this clip is something else, what a twat.
  • Options
    I remember thinking at the time that Newcastle was the wrong move for Owen and being surprised he was even going there - didn't realize he was having the same thoughts!

As others have said, the bloke suffered from way too much footballer as a teenager, he scored hist first Liverpool goal as a 17 year old kid and by the time he was just 20 had played over 100 games for Liverpool and England and already scored over 50 goals.

He gives a great interview on Sky where he says that excessive playing when he was younger meant his body never developed properly and was always prone to breaking down....we all saw the results of that.