Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 100

12345679»

Comments

• Uboat said:
    My 13 year old son is interested in it , I said pick a team before the draft to support but btw I’ll only take you to Lords to watch it  , so London Spirit he chose ! 

I think it might do well with kids, but the 'pick a team' thing says it all, doesn't it. 
    He's got the hump cos he's an Essex fan and he said why couldn't they have put the money in to the t20 Blast comp  
  • When are the fixtures out as I want to know when Rabada will be bowling to Ben Stokes....
  • As a Sussex fan I've got to go Southern Brave, and they easily had the best draft so happy days! The Welshies did well too although Steve Smith is an odd signing IMO. Best test batsman in the world by a million miles but a fairly average T20 bat
  • Chizz said:
    So what match-ups are we looking forward to most? 

I have to say I can hardly wait to see how Birmingham Phoenix's Benny Howell handles Manchester Originals' Wayne Madsen's off spin.  And I'm eagerly anticipating seeing Northern Superchargers' 36 year old non-international Australian Nathan Rimmington hurl his medium paced thunderbolts at Southern Brave's Max Waller. 

#mouthwatering 
    In 20 years time look out in the sports section of a bookshop for 'Rimmington - Waller: The inside story of the rivalry that changed cricket forever'.
  • I think the exchanges on here will be far more entertaining lol
  • When are the fixtures out as I want to know when Rabada will be bowling to Ben Stokes....
    To be fair, he did say would love to see  Rabada v Kohli or Starc v Gayle

At least one of them will be taking part anyway
    I don't think anyone picked Rabada at the price tag that was set. Presumably, he will be one of the last-minute wildcard selections. 
  • The teams avoided the South African players, there schedule means they miss a large chunk of the tournament I think
  • Uboat said:
    Chizz said:
    So what match-ups are we looking forward to most? 

I have to say I can hardly wait to see how Birmingham Phoenix's Benny Howell handles Manchester Originals' Wayne Madsen's off spin.  And I'm eagerly anticipating seeing Northern Superchargers' 36 year old non-international Australian Nathan Rimmington hurl his medium paced thunderbolts at Southern Brave's Max Waller. 

#mouthwatering 
    In 20 years time look out in the sports section of a bookshop for 'Rimmington - Waller: The inside story of the rivalry that changed cricket forever'.
    In twenty years' time, I suspect they'll both still be playing.  To the same level of effectiveness. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Interesting to see that despite Pres's accusations that I am the only person who is against this there have been a further couple of pages of negative comments and not one from me. Also interesting to see that despite him claiming I have been insulting ( a claim he was unable to back up) he has further used insults yet again.

If anyone is interested a group will be presenting to the DCMS parliamentary select committee explaining why the 100 is bad for cricket on Wednesday this week. Do check out the BBC parliament channel if you are interested.
  • edited October 2019
    I'm on the fence with whether it's good or bad in the long run. I prefer test to one day and 20/20 so not sure this appeals that much anyway. 

However, that programme last night was dreadful.  We watched 3 programmes that we'd recorded, and every time one ended and it defaulted back to normal telly, it was still going.  The flashing up of the teams, 'what do you think' questions being fired at Jofra Archer whilst he was eating some chicken, Ben Stokes on the sofa being asked what he thought of the latest 'pick' for his team. He's not going to say he's a terrible cricketer is he.  It was bizarre.  So much filler and no tension at all. Especially as some of the picks were done before the cameras had pointed at the pickers.  And then, the final sentence of the whole thing 'great, that's the end of the Draft then, we'll see you in July for the matches',  I must admit the Smith interview with him in Sydney trying to be diplomatic about how excited he is to play for Wales was amusing. 
  • It's just not cricket
  • Boy oh boy, tolerance seems to be forbidden on this thread.

Like suzisausage I like test cricket and then the white ball game and not sure if this is needed.

I do like  " suck it and see".

If the Hundred continues for a 2nd season then surely the 20 over game will disappear?

Being a Kent boy will hold my nose as motoring up the Old Kent road.

Have just read the " Oval Invincibles " have a second ground- it's BECKENHAM, now I have no problem with a Kent ground.

Hope I understood that correctly!

• It's bloody difficult trying to work out who to support.
  • whats it say ?
  • So the Draft happened. I watched it on TV. If anything it just backed up my first impressions. I think it just screams selfish, personal gain for any player who’s in it." Our secret cricketer on The Hundred 
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:
    Not sure if posted before - made me chuckle

It’s 2029, and Wisden Cricket Monthly’s award-winning, twice-convicted columnist Jonathan Liew reports on a new venture to revive the flailing domestic scene.

London, November 2029.

The England Cricket Board today unveiled its blueprint for a new competition that it hopes will revive the stagnating domestic game. Standing in the Long Room at the Bank of China Stadium (formerly Lord’s), chief executive Andrew Strauss announced the first details of the new tournament, which subject to title sponsorship is provisionally being described as The One.

“This is a historic day for English cricket,” Strauss declared to a room of key stakeholders and government-approved media representatives. “An entirely new competition, entirely new teams, and a fresh, relevant format. One ball each, winner takes all. The world is changing, and unless cricket changes with it, we’re going to be left behind.”

Under the rules of the new competition, teams will consist of just a single batter (“the hunter”) and a single bowler (“the prey”), with the winner being the team who hits the ball furthest. Strauss rejected the frequently-voiced criticism that the format was a made-for-social-media gimmick: “It’s still absolutely cricket. We’re just trying to take it to a new audience. Customers these days don’t have the time to sit and watch something for two-and-a-half hours. They still want to see world-class performers like Tom Banton hitting it out of the park. But they only want to do it once.”

The ECB claims that the concept has been inspired by extensive market research, both via traditional digital channels and through state-of-the-art neural chip technology, allowing them to canvass the opinions of young people without them even knowing it. “Don’t get me wrong, 100-ball cricket will always be the ultimate for me,” said tournament director Harry Gurney. “But our research is clear. Old-fashioned concepts like ‘wickets’ and ‘runs’ simply don’t resonate with the younger generation. When was the last time you sat down and counted all the way to 100? It’s a palaver. Kids want simplicity. What could be more simple than the number one?”

The format is not the only element being streamlined. Whereas The Hundred was initially contested by eight franchises (later seven, after Wales voted for independence in 2025), The One will feature the same two teams playing each other for eternity, a format that Strauss said would generate “a natural rivalry” and “perpetual war”. Instead of a draft, squads will be assembled on the whim of the two celebrity team owners, who will fish their chosen players out of a literal player pool filled with mechanical piranhas. For the lucky few, a life-changing contract and guaranteed stardom. For the rest, certain death. Gurney described it as “the television event of the year”.

But the new tournament has already attracted fierce criticism from existing fans, who argue that with The Hundred already drawing record crowds and the schedule already packed, smaller franchises will be put out of business. “You’re always going to get a certain negativity from the traditionalists when something new comes along,” said an ECB spokesman. “It was the same with The Hundred, it was the same with Brexit, it was the same with the mass deportations and ethnic internment camps. People fear change.”

Meanwhile, the ECB insists that there is space in the calendar for all five formats, arguing that there is more room to play with now the County Championship has been shifted out of the margins of the summer and into the winter. “Good old climate change, eh?” Gurney chuckled. “Of course, the flash floods at Worcester and the disappearance of Hove are no laughing matter, and our thoughts remain with those affected.”

Yet with the ECB determined to press ahead, attention has now turned to how the new tournament will work in practice. Analysts predicted that the one-ball format would bring a “whole new tactical dimension” to the sport, and that one possible trend might be the emergence of ultra-slow bowlers, who deliver the ball so slowly it barely reaches the batter. Aside from building tension, it would allow broadcasters to schedule valuable commercial breaks mid-delivery.

And ultimately, the finances are impossible to argue with. In an attempt to assuage the traditional seven franchises, each will receive an annual solidarity payment of 10 million New Pounds (N£), funded from a lucrative, multi-billion-new-pound rights deal with Amazon and TikTok. Strauss even suggested that some of the windfall from the new competition could be reinvested in the ailing England Test team, which at the time of writing is still fifth in the world and struggling to win series away from home.

This is genius!
  • ticket prices released, £30 a ticket for adults, currently slashed 50% for early bird sales to £15. The £30 would make it by far ball for ball the most expensive format of the game to go watch.
  • ticket prices released, £30 a ticket for adults, currently slashed 50% for early bird sales to £15. The £30 would make it by far ball for ball the most expensive format of the game to go watch.
    It's almost like they are trying to make this as unappealing as possible. It's bizarre.
  • Good news. 
    Looks like they will prioritise 100 and T20
    this season 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/51976046
  • MrOneLung said:
    Good news. 
    Looks like they will prioritise 100 and T20
    this season 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/51976046
    I doubt the restrictions on 'mass' gatherings will be lifted by summer .. IF IF the games go ahead, the likelihood is they will take place in empty stadia
  • The CC will be screwed seeing that a lot of its games are played at the start of the season. Maybe by the height of summer when the short stuff is due to be played, cricket may be allowed to resume?
  • Cc may be alright as they could move games to October which is no different weather times to may. And the crowds are smaller. 

Trouble is counties are going to go bust without income this summer. ECB should help to bail them out but it just blew its entire 200m reserves coming up with the 100.
  • Well, I cant believe we didn't have a live thread yesterday following all the teams drafts as they were announced ...
  • MrOneLung said:
    Well, I cant believe we didn't have a live thread yesterday following all the teams drafts as they were announced ...
    Clearly most of the England squad were so overcome with excitement they couldn't perform today...