Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 100

Comments

• Options

So much for no negative comments then !

I get the feeling Canters that you dont like it :)

• Options

I get the feeling that the 50 over game could be squeezed out in the long run.

Do India have a domestic 50 over game ? I assume so.

• Options
    Absolute shower of shite from the ECB, lets just ignore our struggling test game and further reduce the players exposure to red ball cricket, oh and while we are at it lets just change the rules of an already complex game so that people trying to get into the sport have even less idea whats going on.... And lets no give a single English coach a team to manage. Makes my blood boil!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    MrOneLung said:
    Oh, and also, for you Kent fans, now you will have a decent ground as home. :)
    Kent are not in it mate.

Precisely, but i would expect you will be providing 40-50 per cent of the players for London South. The likes of Billings,Crawley,Blake,Qayyum spring to mind plus presumably FdP as well.

Can see the SL team being something like this...

Roy

Crawley

Finch

FdP

Pope

Billings

Curran S

Blake/Qayyum

Curran T

Rabada

Starc

Who wouldnt get excited about that line-up ?!

• Options
    Certainly looks on the cards that the 50 over game could go.  Although the World Cup, probably gave it a bit of kick start again.  But that was only really with the insane finish in the Final....the tournament up to that point seemed to have gone on for an eternity.

If I recall correctly, there used to be a 60 over game back in the day too?!

Wouldn't be adverse to T20 being the only one day format tbh
  • Options

Haha correct. Its yet another cock up from the suits in the ECB.

They correctly identified that we had scope to change our short format competition on order to make it compete with the BBL and IPL. 

Unfortunately they ignored all their research and just went with as much change as possible rather than the right changes to build on existing success.
  • Options
    If this crock of poo replaces the 50 overs competition people should express their displeasure by not attending. 
    That's exactly what I'll do. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Oh, and also, for you Kent fans, now you will have a decent ground as home. :)
    Kent are not in it mate.

Precisely, but i would expect you will be providing 40-50 per cent of the players for London South. The likes of Billings,Crawley,Blake,Qayyum spring to mind plus presumably FdP as well.

Can see the SL team being something like this...

Roy

Crawley

Finch

FdP

Pope

Billings

Curran S

Blake/Qayyum

Curran T

Rabada

Starc

Who wouldnt get excited about that line-up ?!

isn't it a draft/auction  ?
  • Options
    from wiki

Squads[edit]

Each team is to be made up of fifteen players, of which a maximum of three could be overseas players. Players will be signed using a draft systemcommon in other franchise leagues. Two of the fifteen players will come from players that performed well in the t20 Blast.[7] As of May 2018, it was not clear whether England's Test players would take part in the league.[8]

The draft will take place on 20 October 2019. Sky Sports will be showing the event live.[9]

• Options
    Yes that was my understanding of it.  Don't think it's as simple as amalgamating Kent/Surrey players into S London side.....for all that they may go there anyway.

Think it is a large draft system from scratch.  Draft next month iirc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Teams[edit]

Before the eight teams were confirmed, it was reported that they would carry a different identity to the current county teams and would not be named after cities, counties or venues.[7][10] In May 2019, the details of the team names were revealed to be:[11]

• Options
    Yes that was my understanding of it.  Don't think it's as simple as amalgamating Kent/Surrey players into S London side.....for all that they may go there anyway.

Yes so we could have Morgan playing in Manchester, Billings in Cardiff, Hales in Yorkshire, Finch in Southampton etc
  • Options

Yes so we could have Morgan playing in Manchester, Billings in Cardiff, Hales in Yorkshire, Finch in Southampton etc

But unlikely.

• Options

So much negativity.

I cant believe there can be so much negativity when you know very next to nothing about it. Just embrace it and enjoy it - rather than moaning about the fact that you cant see Darren Stevens bowling against Cobb at Canterbury.

Jeez.

I bet you'll still be saying (in a Geoffrey Boycott accent) , aye , but it were sooo much better when there were 50 over competition in a years time.

I bet in 5 years time there will be a 100 World Cup.

• Options

They correctly identified that we had scope to change our short format competition on order to make it compete with the BBL and IPL. 

Unfortunately they ignored all their research and just went with as much change as possible rather than the right changes to build on existing success.

So, the opinions of Hussein,Vaughan,Giles,Root,Stokes  and others who favour The 100 in comparison are irrelevant  to the thoughts of @cantersaddick.

I'm not saying its right, but i can see this format taking over short form cricket, and again, the other nations will be watching with real anticipation, and as soon as they see full houses at most venues (its clear that both London venues will be full, and i bet most of the others too) then they will jump on it - exactly the same as they all did with 20 over Cricket. The English are generally the innovators. TBH, i'm really excited by it, to be able to watch the creme-de-la-creme of World Talent, or , as i keep saying 'Stevens bowling to Cobb'. Now, that is bollox, like inviting your mother-in-law to come watch the game.

To say ...'That at least was recognisable as cricket' re 20 over Cricket - bollox was it - it was just a hit and giggles invention to try to stir the game up a bit.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I am currently in the middle of putting together my assorted ramblings on this complete shit show. Under the rough headings of.

Reasons cited for the 100 (and why they are a steaming pile of crap) 

Why the city based franchise system does not fit English cricket 

Why the new 100 ball format is a stupid idea

Why should have been done instead. 

I'll share on here when I'm done.

In the meantime do please follow @oposethe100 on Twitter 

About 20 of us wearing oppose the 100 t-shirts to the oval test match.

Also please check out various tweets from Surrey Chief Exec Richard Gould on this

And for a current players view 

Next thing, you'll be throwing Pink foam pigs onto the Oval pitch.

• Options
    edited September 2019

• Options
    edited September 2019

So, the opinions of Hussein,Vaughan,Giles,Root,Stokes  and others who favour The 100 in comparison are irrelevant  to the thoughts of @cantersaddick.

I'm not saying its right, but i can see this format taking over short form cricket, and again, the other nations will be watching with real anticipation, and as soon as they see full houses at most venues (its clear that both London venues will be full, and i bet most of the others too) then they will jump on it - exactly the same as they all did with 20 over Cricket. The English are generally the innovators. TBH, i'm really excited by it, to be able to watch the creme-de-la-creme of World Talent, or , as i keep saying 'Stevens bowling to Cobb'. Now, that is bollox, like inviting your mother-in-law to come watch the game.

To say ...'That at least was recognisable as cricket' re 20 over Cricket - bollox was it - it was just a hit and giggles invention to try to stir the game up a bit.

yeah, but at least they still had 6 ball overs. Fact is, if you don't like cricket, you're not going to like the 100, and cricket fans arent really going to like it. T20 was great, i played colts cricket at the time that was 20 overs a side, so was exciting to see how the pros play the same length of game. It did bring people into the game, but making the game 20 balls an innings shorter than t20 and changing up some fundamental rules of cricket is simply going to confuse newcomers to the game, and irritate the purists.
  • Options

yeah, but at least they still had 6 ball overs. Fact is, if you don't like cricket, you're not going to like the 100, and cricket fans arent really going to like it. T20 was great, i played colts cricket at the time that was 20 overs a side, so was exciting to see how the pros play the same length of game. It did bring people into the game, but making the game 20 balls an innings shorter than t20 and changing up some fundamental rules of cricket is simply going to confuse newcomers to the game, and irritate the purists.

I LOVE cricket - any format, any overs,any rules.

ISnt it just one non 6 ball over? - i dont know.

• Options

The London venues are full for the T20 matches anyway

I really can't the imagine the Indians and Aussies thinking "let's change the IPL and Big Bash" to a 100 ball format. T20 is the standard, played across the world. WE basically invented it too!

As the franchises are limited to 3 overseas players and England Test players (like Stokes, Root and Bairstow) are unlikely to be available for many matches, the franchises will still have plenty of county trundlers and Kolpaks. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2019

The London venues are full for the T20 matches anyway

I really can't the imagine the Indians and Aussies thinking "let's change the IPL and Big Bash" to a 100 ball format. T20 is the standard, played across the world. WE basically invented it too!

As the franchises are limited to 3 overseas players and England Test players (like Stokes, Root and Bairstow) are unlikely to be available for many matches, the franchises will still have plenty of county trundlers and Kolpaks. 

I agree KAF about the full grounds re T20 - but the T20 comp is not going away - i've often looked at the crowds for 50 Over and they are far from full - and that is at Lords and Oval.

I can assure you that India and Oz will be looking very closely at what happens, and tbh, with the marketing, and the ability to be able to see the best in the World, this will be a total success.

I honestly do not 'get' the negativity.(unless you are a Kent fan as they will have trouble parking their caravan at the Oval, which canters isnt).

• Options
    redman said:
    had to laugh at Stevens being included in the Presidents South London team! 
    also will people like Jimmy and Broad really play? Currently they don't play 1 day cricket to rest their bodies for test cricket. 
    Dazza has been loaned to Derbyshire .. past it ? .. he's a mere 43
  • Options
    redman said:
    also will people like Jimmy and Broad really play? Currently they don't play 1 day cricket to rest their bodies for test cricket. 
    They missed a 1 off the front.
  • Options

I LOVE cricket - any format, any overs,any rules.

ISnt it just one non 6 ball over? - i dont know.

no, its ten 10 ball overs, but a bowler can bowl 5 and another can bowl the other 5 from the same end and in the same over. The reason behind t20's success isnt just the shorter format, its that the skills and tactics that were created for t20 are transferable to the other formats. Tactically switching bowlers mid way through a 10 ball over, simply isn't. Losing 20 balls from the innings isn't going to encourage big hitting that t20 doesn't already do. 

I just cant see what the hundred brings to the table that t20 doesn't already do. Except 10 ball overs, but that isn't transferable to other formats, like switch hitting, slower balls/varieties of deliveries, powerplays etc that t20 brought to cricket. 
  • Options
    redman said:

Didnt Derby get to the quarters, and Kent didnt?

Says a lot.

• Options
    redman said:

Didnt Derby get to the quarters, and Kent didnt?

Says a lot.

from a distance it seems that letting Dazza go on loan is incomprehensible ..
  • Options
    The original idea was just for a pur draft system. However the big counties rebelled against this and said their players weren't going to be play for somebody else. So it is going to be a mixture of the 2 I believe although they really are making it up as they go along.
    Manchester have, I believe, appointed the full Lancashire coaching staff. In the meantime Lancashire will play games without any of their coaching staff as well as half their players. 
  • Options
    Incidentally when is it? they have announced international dates and there doesn't seem to be a big gap in games. England stars are going to be delighted if they see Kohli and co earning megabucks while they play a one day game against Ireland!
  • Options
    redman said:
    Incidentally when is it? they have announced international dates and there doesn't seem to be a big gap in games. England stars are going to be delighted if they see Kohli and co earning megabucks while they play a one day game against Ireland!

According to Wiki...

'There will be eight city-based teams competing for the title over a 38-day period during the school summer holidays, which run from mid-July to early September. Each team will play four matches at home and four matches away (thereby playing their closest rival twice in a format similar to the Big Bash League), which means there will be a total of 32 games in the league that precedes the playoffs. '

• Options

Mate I have replied to all your points (in this post and elsewhere on this thread) before in great detail on the T20 franchise cricket thread. You didnt respond. I reposted the same post 2 more times on that thread after you brought up the same arguments. Agin you didnt respond. 

Seems you're happy to shout your points but not listen to any counter points. Cba to do it again. 

I'll wait until I've written up my assorted ramblings on this which I am doing for other people and other reasons and will share on here for the interest of anyone who wants it.

The cricket badger puts some of the key points down pretty well here. https://cricketbadgerpodcast.godaddysites.com/badger-blog/f/why-the-cricket-badger-opposes-the-hundred

Believe me that article doesn't even cover the half of it.