Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Lapslie (Pg 21 - Joins Mansfield permanent)

Comments

• Options
    I see George as a Hairy Steve Gritt

He can do a job in a number of positions - certainly at League 1 level

This year will be the making of him
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Yes, he does seem the type. Versatile and will do a job, without ever really nailing down a regular position

The young Gritty was also hairy!

• Options
    Swisdom said:

If it isn't the making of him, let's hope it isn't the breaking. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Swisdom said:

If it isn't the making of him, let's hope it isn't the breaking. 
    He has a realistic chance to get a lot of minutes under his belt at the club he supports 

he also has a child to support so will be wanting to get a new contract so should be extra-focused 

it’s largely up to him how the season goes for himself and I hope he grabs the opportunity 
  • Options
    I like lapslie, but he's a bit of a headless chicken sometimes. Having bags of energy is good, but so is conserving energy and knowing when to stay put or go for broke. Pratley should be able to drum this into him with a bit of luck. The lad needs games in one position, and I'd say that's midfield, not fullback. Big season for him this year, and I hope he delivers 
  • Options
    Diksteel did ok as a converted right back. Maybe bowyer thinks his energy levels will be good on the flank at this level
  • Options
    Diksteel did ok as a converted right back. Maybe bowyer thinks his energy levels will be good on the flank at this level
    That's a decent point tbf. Just think of him as a midfielder myself. Not sure hed be solid enough to play in a back four, same as doughty on the other side, but maybe as wing backs? I hate that 3 centre halves business though, never really worked for us!
  • Options
    My preference would be to play a right back at right back! I’m not sure if lapslie will make it as a centre midfielder, I think there is a footballer in there somewhere so hope he does well
  • Options
    My preference would be to play a right back at right back! I’m not sure if lapslie will make it as a centre midfielder, I think there is a footballer in there somewhere so hope he does well
    Haha...a right back at right back, far too sensible, but yeah, that would be ideal! All depends how we cobble together a squad this summer though I guess :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020

(Admin can you add to the title to thread)

George Lapslie has joined League Two side Mansfield Town on a season-long loan.

Lee Bowyer explained the loan spell will allow the midfielder to play regular first-team football and also free up salary cap room for potential arrivals ahead of Friday’s 5pm transfer deadline.

The Charlton Manager said: “I think it is time for George to go and fly and develop his career further. He came to see me and Steve [Gallen] a few weeks ago and he was the one that put it to us and we both agreed that now is the time for him to go and develop and progress in his own career and this is a stepping stone towards that."

The 23-year-old joined the club at the age of 10, graduating from the academy scoring on his Charlton debut in the EFL Trophy in 2017. He has gone on to start 26 games for the club, making and additional 28 appearances from the substitutes bench, netting three goals for the first team.

The transfer window slams shut at 5pm on Friday and Bowyer said that the loan deal will give him and Steve Gallen a bit more flexibility as they aim to add to their squad. He said: “Because the cap is so tight, the loan frees up a little bit that we can maybe use the money for elsewhere, so that is what we are looking to do.”

• Options
    Good luck 2 him.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Good luck to him. I reckon League 2 is probably his level really. 

Had a feeling a few people were getting a bit ahead of themselves in the last by saying he’s a ‘future captain’ etc. 
    Agreed. Hope he does well and can sort a permanent move 
  • Options
    Good luck to him, hope he gets a lot of game time and comes back a better player
  • Options
    Good loan. He really needs a full season playing as a team's first choice as he's never really had that. he has a lot to learn, and if he can do that and add to the effort he puts in on the pitch he should improve.
  • Options
    He needs football and I'm sure this is a good deal for all parties.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Swisdom said:

Yes, he does seem the type. Versatile and will do a job, without ever really nailing down a regular position

The young Gritty was also hairy!

When Gritt first joined us, as a striker, he was a target of the boo boys who thought he was rubbish. A change of position and he went on to be a terrific player for us, holding his own in the top division.

Not so much the change of position bit, but it does show how players can improve and step up to new levels. I think there are some clues in Lapslie's game that he could do this.
  • Options
    Can only be a good thing for George, hope he’s got a recall notice, in case our injuries start to stick up, good luck George.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can only be a good thing for George, hope he’s got a recall notice, in case our injuries start to stick up, good luck George.
    Would only allow January if we do have recall notice. 
  • Options
    Decent move for him to be honest... Appreciate him going and asking for the move as Bowyer says that it now frees up our wages for players
  • Options
    Nice neat player, never really showed his full potential, but i am
    sure he will find his feet at Mansfield, and shine, good luck to the
    lad, and be interesting at the end of the season should he learn
    and improve his game, could be a surprise return on the cards
  • Options
    It shows good character to ask for the loan, good luck George hope it works out well
  • Options
    Good luck to George.
    Mansfield seems appropriate.
  • Options
    George Lapslie must be the last player from the squad who played Brentford in a South east youth cup about 5 years ago ?
    Konsa, Aribo, Lookman, Charles-Cook, the rest were released over the last few years.

End of an era in that age group.

Hope we have more luck holding on to the 2 or 3 that manage to progress in future.

Arron Henry and Barker would be a sign of progress.
    Yes hes been with us from then. End of that era now as you say.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Good luck to him. I reckon League 2 is probably his level really. 

Had a feeling a few people were getting a bit ahead of themselves in the past by saying he’s a ‘future captain’ etc. 
    I don't.

Ideal captain material.

Good luck to him but doubt he'll be back now which is a real shame