Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Lapslie (Pg 21 - Joins Mansfield permanent)

Comments

• Options
    Good luck to him, hope he comes back a better & more experienced player
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    Good luck to him. I reckon League 2 is probably his level really. 

Had a feeling a few people were getting a bit ahead of themselves in the past by saying he’s a ‘future captain’ etc. 
    I don't.

Ideal captain material.

Good luck to him but doubt he'll be back now which is a real shame
    Bit hard to be an ideal captain if you can’t regularly get into the first team.......
    You think so?
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

Had a feeling a few people were getting a bit ahead of themselves in the past by saying he’s a ‘future captain’ etc. 
    I don't.

Ideal captain material.

Bit hard to be an ideal captain if you can’t regularly get into the first team.......
    Just say Soll... oh.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

I don't.

Ideal captain material.

You think so?
    You’d need to give me a decent argument to suggest otherwise. 

There’s a reason why he’s a) not part of Bowyers plans, and b) being sent on loan to League 2.

I’ve nothing against Lapslie but I can’t see someone becoming a captain if they don’t have any past or present regular playing time. Captaincy is about experience and you can’t get that sitting on the bench for most of your career at this level.
  • Options
    Never had the typical youth player loan out and at 23 needs proper game time. Still young enough to develop, just needs to be played regularly and in a fixed position. Could come back well rounded player. Good luck to him.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

I don't.

Ideal captain material.

You think so?

There’s a reason why he’s a) not part of Bowyers plans, and b) being sent on loan to League 2.

I’ve nothing against Lapslie but I can’t see someone becoming a captain if they don’t have any past or present regular playing time. Captaincy is about experience and you can’t get that sitting on the bench for most of your career at this level.
    See the post above yours for an argument to suggest otherwise. Parker became a great captain despite being sent out on loan
     Harry Kane is another example. There are too many examples to even bother carry on.

• Options
    For me this shows the quick progession in a short space of time under Sandgaard.

Without him we'd have had Lapslie no doubt filling in at right back for some games. Now we have a guy with nearly 100 international caps.

Good luck to him and i hope he does well on loan but i honestly don't see him as any more than a lower half league one player and we obviously aspire to be much higher than that.
  • Options
    For me this shows the quick progession in a short space of time under Sandgaard.

Without him we'd have had Lapslie no doubt filling in at right back for some games. Now we have a guy with nearly 100 international caps.

Good luck to him and i hope he does well on loan but i honestly don't see him as any more than a lower half league one player and we obviously aspire to be much higher than that.
    I know what your saying but at the end of the day we are a lower league 1 club. Aspiration is good but I think some of our fans are being unrealistic 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wishing George all the best and hoping he comes back an even better player. Could never fault his effort and dedication to the cause. Met him a couple of times and he seems a genuine good bloke.
  • Options
    Good luck George, I don't know whether you have a future with us but I'm sure you'll have a good career in football
  • Options
    edited October 2020

I know what your saying but at the end of the day we are a lower league 1 club. Aspiration is good but I think some of our fans are being unrealistic 
    We're not a lower league 1 club. Lower L1 sides are the likes of Rochdale and Crewe whose realistic aspiration is just to stay up
    I'd be happy with staying up, like Crewe that are already above us.
    We are currently a League 1 side in the bottom half let's not big ourselves up, it makes us look silly.

Dont think it is being silly to think we're higher than Crewe... Difficult to place anyone at this early stage going by a League table as we've not yet hit double figures for games played

Especially when some teams will have played more inform teams than others etc. You might as well say that Man City and Man Utd are bottom half Premier League teams on that basis
  • Options
    edited October 2020

We're not a lower league 1 club. Lower L1 sides are the likes of Rochdale and Crewe whose realistic aspiration is just to stay up
    We are currently a League 1 side in the bottom half let's not big ourselves up, it makes us look silly.

Dont think it is being silly to think we're higher than Crewe... Difficult to place anyone at this early stage going by a League table as we've not yet hit double figures for games played

Especially when some teams will have played more inform teams than others etc. You might as well say that Man City and Man Utd are bottom half Premier League teams on that basis
    Man City and Man U finished top 4 last season and we didn't so its  not really relevant to us. We finished bottom 3 coz we were crap.
    We are a L1 team and in the bottom half of a crap league coz we have a crap team. 
    Just don't understand why some fans would assume we won't be battling to stay up like Crewe. 
    But we finished in a position higher than anyone else in this League last season so I honestly dont see the difference

Like I say, to judge teams on the current League table is quite simply ridiculous at the moment - to claim we'll be in a relegation battle at this stage is no different to claiming we'd be battling for promotion last year at the same stage.

No different to expecting us to be battling Ipswich and Lincoln at the top of the Division should we win our next two and climb to 4th
  • Options
    Everyone loves a trier.

Going to really miss screeching out from the East Stand “go on Georgie, well done Georgie” as he busts a gut. 
  • Options
    Wish him all the best.

I still think someone as versatile as George would be useful to have around the Squad given the number of our players that are made of glass.

That said Trust In Bow.
  • Options

Man City and Man U finished top 4 last season and we didn't so its  not really relevant to us. We finished bottom 3 coz we were crap.
    We are a L1 team and in the bottom half of a crap league coz we have a crap team. 
    Just don't understand why some fans would assume we won't be battling to stay up like Crewe. 
    But we finished in a position higher than anyone else in this League last season so I honestly dont see the difference

Like I say, to judge teams on the current League table is quite simply ridiculous at the moment - to claim we'll be in a relegation battle at this stage is no different to claiming we'd be battling for promotion last year at the same stage.

No different to expecting us to be battling Ipswich and Lincoln at the top of the Division should we win our next two and climb to 4th
    I'm ok with being L1 i just think some of us fans think we have some divine right to be in the top 2 tiers. 
    We are so far off even being a decent Championship team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bottom 3 in the Championship, not L1
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I see George as a Hairy Steve Gritt

He can do a job in a number of positions - certainly at League 1 level

This year will be the making of him
    Yes, he does seem the type. Versatile and will do a job, without ever really nailing down a regular position

The young Gritty was also hairy!

When Gritt first joined us, as a striker, he was a target of the boo boys who thought he was rubbish. A change of position and he went on to be a terrific player for us, holding his own in the top division.

Not so much the change of position bit, but it does show how players can improve and step up to new levels. I think there are some clues in Lapslie's game that he could do this.
    Gritty came here from Bournemouth as a midfielder, Mutts.

After he'd been here a couple of years, he did get pressed into service as a makeshift striker for a run of games and proved well capable of poaching a goal - I remember I was at St James Park, Newcastle watching us put in a spirited performance despite getting beat 5-3; Gritty was upfront and scored twice.

He must have scored something like 5 goals in a run of about 9 or 10 games up front, but once our regular forwards returned from injury he was only occasionally used as striker in an emergency.

Even though he was used mainly as a fullback later on, we saw that Gritty could put in a decent performance in most positions.
    It was attitude, adaptability and hard graft that made Gritty. You can see the parallels with George Lapslie.

• Options
    Big fan of Lapslie and shame it didn’t work out. Had some excellent performance against Pompey, Sunderland, Brentford & Luton at home. However, never held down a place as never showed consistently. Thanks for helping us get promoted and good luck with the career.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

I don't.

Ideal captain material.

You think so?

See the post above yours for an argument to suggest otherwise. Parker became a great captain despite being sent out on loan
     Harry Kane is another example. There are too many examples to even bother carry on.

They came back and went on to be the best players in their respective sides - some would even say two of the best in respective clubs' histories. 

I'm sorry, but George Lapslie hasn't shown anything to suggest that he's going to be a Parker or Kane. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

I don't.

Ideal captain material.

You think so?

They came back and went on to be the best players in their respective sides - some would even say two of the best in respective clubs' histories. 

I'm sorry, but George Lapslie hasn't shown anything to suggest that he's going to be a Parker or Kane. 
    I agree he hasn't.
    But your original point was its hard to be a captain if you can't get in a 1st team.
    I was just pointing out that you can be captain in the making and get loaned out.
  • Options

Because we've only played four games and the transfer window hasn't closed
  • Options

Because we've only played four games and the transfer window hasn't closed
    True.
    But let's just say nothing happened tomorrow? We sign nobody and nobody else leaves.
    Are we a Championship squad, top L1 squad, average L1 squad? 
    Hope you get my point.
  • Options
    Everyone loves a trier.

Going to really miss screeching out from the East Stand “go on Georgie, well done Georgie” as he busts a gut. 

Or "Nice try Georgie!" and "Better luck next time Georgie!" as he gives the ball away again or misses the goal by a mile.

He's a good lad who I think will have a career in league football, but it does feel like this will be the beginning of the end of his time with Charlton. Wish him well, but other than work rate (which admittedly you'll likely go nowhere in the game without at least having that) he's not really done anything to set himself part, although he did change one game as a sub last season (Bristol City at home?), which is more than a few of our players managed last year.

• Options

I'm 99% confident we'll be top half and I've backed us twice.
    I'm 75% confident we'll be top 6 and I've backed us twice.
    I'm 30% confident of promotion and I've backed us once.