Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Lapslie (Pg 21 - Joins Mansfield permanent)

edited January 2021 in General Charlton
A Steve Gritt for the 21st Century?

Discuss

Comments

• Dont know why @charente addick feared being shot down on the Adam Matthews thread

A Steve Brown type player is exactly who he is

Just a shame the Brown, wont let you down tune doesnt quite work for George
  • Hope so. I was really impressed on Saturday, lad he was marking was more than a bit lively but I thought he was excellent, dogged, put his foot/body in when needed and gave 110% to the cause. Plus his one our own and one of us so really hope he continues to progress and turns into a Gritt rather than say a Bacon.
  • Dont know why @charente addick feared being shot down on the Adam Matthews thread

Steve Brown performed really creditably in the premier league. I think comparing him
    to GL at this stage is premature . 
  • Didn't Lapslie make the bench ahead of JFC on Saturday?  I think we are certain to keep him
  • Didn't Lapslie make the bench ahead of JFC on Saturday?  I think we are certain to keep him
    George has been on the bench every game this season

Jake has only played against Blackburn and hasnt made the squad in the last two games
  • Just think it makes so much more sense for both Lapslie & Morgan to go out on loan, neither are gonna get minutes and Kayal is still to come back, even if its only 'til Jan

Thought I may be shot down largely because I think Lapslie gets a lot of unfair criticism after matches.

And I’m very shy.
  • wmcf123 said:
    Dont know why @charente addick feared being shot down on the Adam Matthews thread

Steve Brown performed really creditably in the premier league. I think comparing him
    to GL at this stage is premature . 
    Yeah but Steve Brown was 26 before he played in the Prem ..... and beforehand had gained a wealth of experience in the 2nd-tier. Like George, while he was often involved it took him a while to establish himself in the 1st team.

Lapslie is still only 21 and despite some people saying he lacks 'quality', he's got the same tenacity and spirit.
    He's already proved his usefulness when  called on - and like Stevie Brown, he never let's you down.

• No doubting his commitment, energy etc. but it was nice to see him cover at right back with a degree of discipline for that position, not just chase the ball. Having watched George plenty of times in the u23s he's capable of a lot more and has a decent eye for a pass in a calmer environment - if he can transfer that to first team match situations he'll look a lot more complete. Plenty of time still for someone prepared to learn in public.
  • Sponsored links:

George Lapslie

He will never f*ck upslie?
  • Has Lapslie ever played in goal? 
  • edited August 2019
    Anyone who may doubt Lapslie's 'quality', maybe needs to first ask the question: ........ Why does the manager consistantly pick Lapslie for the matchday squad, even above more experienced and perhaps more technically accomplished players?

And while Lapslie is not a regular 1st team starter, as sub he's called on to play an important role in most matches.
    I believe we are all agreed that as manager, Bowyer knows what he is doing.

Bowyer has often said that he's really impressed by Lapslie's attitude and eagerness to learn.
    Remember in any field, talent has always been 10% ability + 90% hard work.

Many gifted players fall by the wayside because they don't put in the other 90%.
    The players that do well in the professional game are those that are dedicated to do so.

That's George.

Edit: How do you get rid of all this extra space at the end of a post?

• Has Lapslie ever played in goal? 
    He did make a great save with his face away at Portsmouth last season. 
  • Len asked Gritt, not Brown.
    As a modern day Stevie Gritt I believe Len has a point, and it is also no bad thing.
    Different hair tho, or more accurately luscious hair v no hair.
  • seth plum said:
    Len asked Gritt, not Brown.
    As a modern day Stevie Gritt I believe Len has a point, and it is also no bad thing.
    Gritty had long hair when he was young, he wasn’t always bald!
  • seth plum said:
    Yeah. But was it luscious?
  • Swisdom said:
    I often find the criticism of George to be a bit harsh.  He doesn't just "get a game" because he is a Charlton fan.  He plays because he gives 100% every time he plays.

He puts his body on the line for us

I have always said I don't come to Charlton to be amazed at the technical brilliance on show.  I come to see players who will run through a wall for their manager if asked - George is that kind of player.
    I expect to see a bit of talent too, obviously, and George has that too.

He brings us energy.
    He brings commitment and no shortage of bravery

There are lots of players who have all the ability but they just don't have the heart - they are the ones who don't make it as a professional,

Whilst he may be not the most gifted technical player I'd much rather have him in the side than a fancy tricky player who disappears for 60 minutes or fails to track back and defend.

The energy and tenacity are what make him a Bowyer player and it seems George is the "goto guy" for filling in at the moment.  I for one am happy with that.
    After all we've seen plenty of players who think they're too good under the Roland regime and havent put the effort in because they think they're too good
  • I basically agree with @Paddy7 who I know has watched George, like I have, for years coming through. I admit to liking him to the point where objectivity is tested because he is one of our own and a Charlton fan, but one thing I want to add is that he is a team mates dream.
    Epitomises the bloke you want with you in the trenches, and he has more quality than people give him credit for...yes, like Gritty actually.
  • Sponsored links:

• Paddy7 said:
    No doubting his commitment, energy etc. but it was nice to see him cover at right back with a degree of discipline for that position, not just chase the ball. Having watched George plenty of times in the u23s he's capable of a lot more and has a decent eye for a pass in a calmer environment - if he can transfer that to first team match situations he'll look a lot more complete. Plenty of time still for someone prepared to learn in public.
    That is my impression too. 

Whilst Gritty's Charlton record speaks for itself (app 347, goals 24) I still tend to think that Lapsie at 21 has more ability and the potential to play at a good level in a style that is ... ahem, how can I say this ... more pleasing on the eye. 
  • Is it just me or does any mention or sight of George Lapslie, make you think "Jay from The Inbetweeners" ?
  • Is it just me or does any mention or sight of George Lapslie, make you think "Jay from The Inbetweeners" ?
    Nah my first reaction was Worzel Gummage

He's had his hair cut a bit better now so doesnt look as bad
  • edited August 2019
    Gritt is a true Charlton legend given his longevity and the 'grit', passion and determination he always displayed when playing for us.
    It's doubtful whether Lapslie will match Gritt's long career. We live in a different era, careers seem to be shorter, players spending year after year at one club are getting rarer. So just let's enjoy Lapslie's performances for us and make the most of him while he is an Addick. There is no doubt that Bowyer will get the very best from him
  • Reminds me very much of Wagstaff. Will run through brick walls but whether he has the quality at this level; only time will tell. 
  • He will only get better, has the raw ingredient's, Bowyer & JJ will turn him into a goodun.

• I think he will only get better with Bows and JJ at the helm . Thought he was terrific against Brentford   .
  • Gritt is a true Charlton legend given his longevity and the 'grit', passion and determination he always displayed when playing for us.
    It's doubtful whether Lapslie will match Gritt's long career. We live in a different era, careers seem to be shorter, players spending year after year at one club are getting rarer. So just let's enjoy Lapslie's performances for us and make the most of him while he is an Addick. There is no doubt that Bowyer will get the very best from him
    Even Gritty, of course, wasn't a one club man.

He made his League debut for Bournemouth, before joining Charlton - and even had a season at Walsall in 1989.
    Who remembers that he also played for Welling United and Tooting & Mitcham?  

Interesting fact ..... did you know that Gritty scored 3 goals in his first 6 League games (for Bournemouth)?
    Step forward Conor Gallagher - you are the 'new' Steve Gritt.  :smile:

• Champs85 said:
    Reminds me very much of Wagstaff. Will run through brick walls but whether he has the quality at this level; only time will tell. 
    Agreed, you can't fault his commitment and energy, but so far as a football he looks slightly limited.

The Gritt comparison is interesting one as Gritt was the typical well respected pro that most teams used to have, been around for years and will do a decent job all over the park without ever being really good at any of them
  • edited August 2019
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Yeah. But was it luscious?
    Quite lush, I'd say. But even at an early age he was showing signs of forehead expansion.