Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wifi @ The Valley

13»

Comments

• Options
    My phone doesn’t seem to work in SE7 (o2). 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Or, people could use a minuscule part of their own data to look up the latest scores...

For me, this is impossible.

I think all those people in such a small place really doesn't do good for data traffic.... I can never seem to access anything on my phone at The Valley.

I'm on EE.

This. Without fail there is a surge every halftime. I have 2 phones on different networks both with 4G and neither of them have been able to load scores or the table without a 10 min delay at halftime.
    Alright Walter White
    Drug dealer actually.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    What I don't get is that the infrastructure for Wi-Fi is all there and, I assume, paid for.  You can see the routers and boosters all over the place.  The club obviously make extensive use of Wi-Fi - you can see all the different staff networks available.  Most contracts with providers now are unlimited data for business use so (and this is just a guess) it probably doesn't cost any extra to switch it on for supporters...?  Maybe its just a petty thing?
  • Options
    What we need is each side of the pitch a board with a series of letters which correspond to matches being played.  At half time a bloke could come out and hang two boards on each letfer, which have the home and away teams ecore! No need for the internet
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    What we need is each side of the pitch a board with a series of letters which correspond to matches being played.  At half time a bloke could come out and hang two boards on each letfer, which have the home and away teams ecore! No need for the internet
    Excellent idea. Maybe the same guy could stay by the pitch board all through the game and update it as goals the goals go in. He could have a tin can to his ears and be updated from somebody on the other end of the string that’s watching Jeff Snelling on Sky Sports. 
  • Options
    cafc-west said:
    What I don't get is that the infrastructure for Wi-Fi is all there and, I assume, paid for.  You can see the routers and boosters all over the place.  The club obviously make extensive use of Wi-Fi - you can see all the different staff networks available.  Most contracts with providers now are unlimited data for business use so (and this is just a guess) it probably doesn't cost any extra to switch it on for supporters...?  Maybe its just a petty thing?
    Not quite that simple.

Setting up a professional grade Wi-Fi network that could deal with potentially 10,000+ connection requests coming in for two hours per week - sometimes twice per week - is actually quite tricky commercially.

You'd need to get a telco willing to provision that sort of surging capacity on their network for a reasonable fee - it's very different to a hotel or conference centre where the investment can be monetised over a longer period of time.

You also need to think about the legalities etc of offering access in terms of what some folks would do with the connection.

My old company would set up free WiFi networks at our conference venues and some of the stuff people get up to online on a public connection would make your hair curl!
  • Options
    My i phone will not pick up a signal in the Valley.
  • Options
    My phone works okay the last week I couldn’t even log into my bed365 to place a bet on the scores
  • Options
    My Vodafone works fine at the Valley,bit slower at half time but friends told me it's because lots are also on there phones,it doesn't always work at some of the away stadiums though 
  • Options
    o2 is awful at the Valley and pretty much every where else.

I do get a free coffee every week though.