Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Northern Soul

124»

Comments

• I attend various scooter club events and northern soul is predominantly played at all of them. Although I enjoy some tracks, 90% are all a bit "Meh" and unless I'm absolutely shit-faced, you won't catch me dancing to it..........
    Fixed that for you (The spelling police) :smile:

If northern soul is predominantly played at all the clubs that you go to & you don't enjoy 90% of the music why go ? Why not just meet mates in the pub ?

I've been to some awful places over the years where the people running it / DJing haven't got a clue & the music amounted to a couple of blokes with a box of bootlegs of stuff that was played back in the 70s. I wouldn't go back if I didn't like it. 
  • You need to calm down Bob. It's not a personal attack on you.
  • I attend various scooter club events and northern soul is prodominently played at all of them. Although I enjoy some tracks, 90% are all a bit "Meh" and unless I'm absolutely shit-faced, you won't catch me dancing to it..........
    Went to the Sentinals do up at the Gravesend Rugby club last May...got a few mates up that way who are into the scooter scene....some good bands and some Northern Soul played in the club house...made for a good afternoon/evening.
  • edited September 2019
    Now I'm a big, big soul fan, and I don't know if you Northern fans are familiar with the US Hispanic lowrider scene, which is a rare, sweet Sixties soul scene, but with hot rods attached. These guys spend fortunes on rare Sixties soul tunes and their cars. There's a big retro soul scene in Finland too, and the lowrider guys broke a lot of those Finnish tunes Stateside. The Finnish label to look out for is Timmion, which is basically a Finnish Daptone Records or Big Crown Records. This is the big Finnish tune on the lowrider scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAVaCQ1rckQ
  • hawksmoor said:
    Now I'm a big, big soul fan, and I don't know if you Northern fans are familiar with the US Hispanic lowrider scene, which is a rare, sweet Sixties soul scene, but with hot rods attached. These guys spend fortunes on rare Sixties soul tunes and their cars. There's a big retro soul scene in Finland too, and the lowrider guys broke a lot of those Finnish tunes Stateside. The Finnish label to look out for is Timmion, which is basically a Finnish Daptone Records or Big Crown Records. This is the big Finnish tune on the lowrider scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAVaCQ1rckQ
    Yes I think quite a few are into the Low rider music. I've listened to some on you tube, some I like some are ok :-)  Have you heard of Ruben Molina ? He wrote a book https://www.amazon.com/Chicano-Soul-Recordings-History-American/dp/0896729966 .  A very knowledgeable guy & very into the  whole lifestyle. he puts on a lot of gigs for the Hispanic community & does try to track down artists from the past to appear. I bought a record by the Royal Chessmen You must believe me on Custom Fidelity Records which is an uptempo cover of the old Impressions number. As I'd never heard of the group I searched the internet for info & the only bit I could find at the time was a short mention by Ruben. I was able to contact him & he sent me a couple of emails with the (short) history of the group & various bits & pieces & also he had tracked down the lead singer & one of the other members (with info on the others) He also mentioned that the other side Beggin' you was a highly sought after track on the Low Rider scene (can't remember if he used that term but I don't think he did). There are only a few known copies & the Beggin You side was released/bootlegged years ago on Riot label with a different b side, probably another LR tune. There is also film on you tube of them singing the track at one of Rubens promotions & they still sound good.

• Hawksmoor, just found the emails I exchanged with Ruben & I was right he didn't use the term low rider but simply said  And like many of us here on the East Side of Los Angeles they grew up in the gang culture that so prizes the "sweet soul tear jerkers."
  • Stig said:
    Here's my favourite. Can't imaging dancing to it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_ZBqpEUbik
    The highlight of yesterday's match: hearing this at half time!