Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Defence (inc GK)

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Leuth said:
    Be that as it may, I think Pearce/Sarr should be tried, especially if Lockyer has to play full-back (pending Deji's suitability)
    Do you remember how poor that pairing was last year ? Thought not .

edit: I remind you of the 9 goal week- Luton, Scunthorpe and Coventry 
  • Options
    I wonder if Bowyer will change things in January with his loanees if we lose Cullen, or even decide to send one of his midfielders back to either get in a striker or bring in an experienced CB on loan.
  • Options
    Sarr will play his part at some point I'm sure.
    indeed he will, injuries and suspensions will see to that.....I wouldn't mind betting he'll hold his own just fine and we'll all be loving him again when he does
  • Options
    A few random thoughts:

1. Tommy Locks looks stretched at times, but it's early days and we're doing OK overall.  Moreover, I think Patrick Bauer is likewise finding the step up to be something of a challenge, so overall I'd say our CB quality is about the same as last year - but we have moved up a division so we will find the going tougher

2.  Thought Deji looked good at RB once he'd got that horrible swipe and yellow out of the way (actually recovered his composure well rather than let that yellow go to his head)...

3...wondering if Lapslie could do a job at RB if called upon?
  • Options
    A few random thoughts:

1. Tommy Locks looks stretched at times, but it's early days and we're doing OK overall.  Moreover, I think Patrick Bauer is likewise finding the step up to be something of a challenge, so overall I'd say our CB quality is about the same as last year - but we have moved up a division so we will find the going tougher

2.  Thought Deji looked good at RB once he'd got that horrible swipe and yellow out of the way (actually recovered his composure well rather than let that yellow go to his head)...

3...wondering if Lapslie could do a job at RB if called upon?
    Didn't Lapslie play at wing back at some point last season?
  • Options
    He did play wing back...but not right back. 
  • Options
    We are second in the League. The defence has been part of that. End of really! 
  • Options
    Not sure why Bowyer wants a RB. RCB seems more important, as Lockyer hasn't looked like he can make the leap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The problem with the defence is that Bows high press is negated by Pearce's lack of pace, leading us to defend deeper than we should. This means both Cullen and Pratley cover, forcing team wide to cross in, then he has to choose to attack a cross or mark up. A taller player does the former. Plus Pearce himself isn't the biggest.
  • Options
    Not sure why Bowyer wants a RB. RCB seems more important, as Lockyer hasn't looked like he can make the leap.
    Oshilaja is our alternative at RCB. Lockyer's played three games, we're second in the league and already some are writing him off. And that's after last season, when we saw how much Bowyer can improve players.

Another right back would mean proper competition for Solly, rather than a CB who can do a job there. Ideally it'll be an attacking right back, something we don't have in the squad.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    We are second in the League. The defence has been part of that. End of really! 
    After three games. And we started as well as this the season we got relegated.

Our first choice defence is lower half Championship. Our second choice defence is?

Phillips/ Amos
    Solly/Oshi    Lockyer/??
    Pearce/Sarr    Purr/?? (Page but never fit)

• Options
    True and maybe if things go wrong we can analyse. But Bowyer is a front foot manager and at this level, with our budget, we have to accept we will concede goals. The important thing is we score goals too. The whole team are responsible for both. 
  • Options
    I’ve read all the permutations with interest, and where possible, I have reviewed games played last year, analysed match statistics, and studied match comments.
    I can only conclude that Bows is right.   ;)
  • Options
    Kayal coming into the team and sitting in front of the back four should make a lot of difference. Pratley has been doing this for us and doing pretty well but I’m expecting Kayal to offer that little bit more both defensively and getting the ball out of defence. 
  • Options
    We need to be realistic about our defence - it's going to be the weakest part of the side. We have little depth and most of the players don't have much experience at this level.

I'm not expecting miracles.
  • Options
    Personally I'd move Pratley to RCB and Lockyer to RB
  • Options
    Going to sound a bit bonkers but I think Lockyer is getting a bit of a bad rep purely based on appearance, think people get too caught up on the height/stature of a centre back. He looked strong against Barnsley, looked quite assured on the ball and it's still early doors for him. I don't feel worried seeing his name on the sheet, I still get a bit worried with Naby because even when he started to look good again he then went on a 3 game run with bad mistakes. Let's have it right player of the year for the most part is a popularity contest, there is no way Sarr was better than Bauer for instance last year but he pipped him in the awards. Sarr got a lot of hype because he's likeable and his turnaround was incredible. I still think he's a tad unreliable.

On the other hand until we give him a run of games we won't know again. I think when you look at our 3 centre backs on paper the best partnership is Sarr and Lockyer. Sarr acting as the dominant aerial type and dealing with the bigger target men, Lockyer with his calmness on the ball and ability to run with a player and bring the ball out. Pearce is sort of in between them both, like a jack of all trades master of none but cause of his experience he is pretty much undroppable now. 

All I know is Naby or Pearce on the right side is a disaster, seen both there and both times it has been a shocking display. For that reason alone Lockyer needs to stay 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pratley can play centre back
  • Options
    One of the frustrating things for me with a manager like Bowyer is I don't feel able to question or be critical of anything relating to the playing side as I trust every choice he makes.
  • Options
    Only thing I've seen Lockyer do wrong was being out muscled for the Stoke goal last week - At the time I thought he headed it on himself but was only watching the highlights that I realised he didnt get a touch

Other than that he hasnt done much wrong in my eyes - His only problem for me is that Pearce has been outstanding next to him (apart from his weak clearance to Woodrow on Saturday) so havent noticed him as much
  • Options
    Lockyer is making the step up to the Championship so we have to be realistic - I'm not expecting him to be a world beater but he can do a job.

• Options
    Defence looking good :)
  • Options
    Lockyer has made some errors yes and at times has made the wrong call. But I thibk we should look beyond that and at his basic attributes. 

He is very comfortable on the ball and that is key for a CB the way we play. He doesnt have a brilliant cross field ball or the range of passing that Naby does but he is happy to receive the ball in tight spaces turn and pick out a team mate. He doesnt get hurried or panic on that ball. That's a good thing. Yes playing this way you will get errors over the course of a season but thays more a feature of the style of play than the player.

He's not the tallest but he is surprisingly good in the air. He gets up well and when defending as a unit in and around the box he doesnt look like being beaten even when up against taller strikers. He did get beaten in the air for the stoke goal but to me that was as a result of a collective loss of composure on our part he over played it lost it and tried to rescue it by going for a challenge out of position which I was slightly later to than the attacker. If we can cut out the initial error and keep defending as a unit I think we have nothing to worry about there.

He is a leader - players feed off him and having an organised defense is key. This stuff matters when the defense is under constant pressure and there will be games this year where we are put in that position. Lockyer like Pearce will come to the fore in that instance. Even if mistakes are made or they get beaten they will get back up and give it a go again.

The other stuff will come as he gets used to playing in Bowyers system and partnerships form with the players around him.

I think he will be fine.
    Called it!
  • Options
    Lockyer has made some errors yes and at times has made the wrong call. But I thibk we should look beyond that and at his basic attributes. 

He did get beaten in the air for the stoke goal but to me that was as a result of a collective loss of composure on our part he over played it lost it and tried to rescue it by going for a challenge out of position which I was slightly later to than the attacker. 

I think he will be fine.
    Called it!
    That Stoke goal .... if you watch the highlights carefully, it does appear that an opponent first shoved Lockyer as he jumped.
    It was sneakily done but enough to stop Lockyer getting his header in.