Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Defence (inc GK)

I think it's worth remembering that 3 of the 5 have not played in the Championship before. Takes time to adjust to the pace,angles,stamina and also intensity.

My worry is that I hope we don't regularly concede worldies or belters, as this can be attritubed as much to concentration.

Well done lads, keep it going:) 

Comments

• I am keen to see how Sarr would cope alongside Pearce in an extended run......
  • I think you've nailed it right there though

We've only conceded the one soft goal at the moment so the defence isnt overly worrying me that much - to an extent worldies will always irritate me because one can fly into the top corner, the next can fly into row z, there is a huge element of luck about it

Only slight disappointment is Phillips has proven that he's class at shot stopping but hasnt really got close to saving the two worldies we've conceded
  • I would like to see Sarr on right of defence while defending but swop with Pearce in possession to open up his passing. Lockyer has been steady, but done nothing spectacular. Today's volley had no defender attacking the ball.
  • Sarr worries me in that he takes too long on the ball sometimes. Not sure how he'll cope in the Championship?
  • But how many Championship defenders do a Cruyf turn in possession?
  • Sarr worries me in that he takes too long on the ball sometimes. Not sure how he'll cope in the Championship?

His long passing is excellent but he does take a long time to decide where he's going to put it. 
  • There are so many games (and Pearcey does get himself crocked for 2/3 months) that Sarr will get his chance this season. As we know from Bowyer, he will keep a player in the team if they deserve it.
  • But how many Championship defenders do a Cruyf turn in possession?
    I’m not sure he can do one out of possession. 
  • Ive not watched much of them at previous clubs but I wonder who from Lockyer or Osilaja may be better as a RB fill in. 

When both players joined, their ability to play in that position was emphasised to us. 
  • Sponsored links:

• mendonca said:
    Ive not watched much of them at previous clubs but I wonder who from Lockyer or Osilaja may be better as a RB fill in. 

When both players joined, their ability to play in that position was emphasised to us. 
    Lapslie played Right Wing Back a few times last season putting in some good performances

Might be worth sticking him there
  • Oshilaja did okay today after that ridiculous foul. Expect him to start against Forest. 
  • I thought Oshilija did very well after a five min settling in period.
  • mendonca said:
    Ive not watched much of them at previous clubs but I wonder who from Lockyer or Osilaja may be better as a RB fill in. 

Lapslie played Right Wing Back a few times last season putting in some good performances

Might be worth sticking him there.

Nooooo. Play a peoper RB at  right back. No f**king square pegs in round holes. 
  • We don't have another proper right back. 
  • Oshilaja has looked okay when I've seen him play - hopefully decent cover at RB
    not sure that Sarr has the ability or the speed ,physically or mentally to cope with this league.
  • mendonca said:
    I think it's worth remembering that 3 of the 5 have not played in the Championship before. Takes time to adjust to the pace,angles,stamina and also intensity.

My worry is that I hope we don't regularly concede worldies or belters, as this can be attritubed as much to concentration.

I am not worried about the defence. We are a team that scores more than it concedes and our defenders play a part in all of that. Yes they will make errors. Most goals are down to errors but errors happen to all clubs, even at the highest level.
  • mendonca said:

I am not worried about the defence. We are a team that scores more than it concedes and our defenders play a part in all of that. Yes they will make errors. Most goals are down to errors but errors happen to all clubs, even at the highest level.
    Barnsleys 2nd goal yesterday was a comedy of errors. It was slapstick
  • All defenders we have now are battlers but
    they have some limitations. What they have in spades is courage, and big hearts which needs to compensate for a lack of class and don't tell the Opposition ? Pace.

Fans are fickle and expect the usual suspects to give their player of choice stick as we start to lose a few games. The rest of the fans must be supportive as our defence and keeper come pressure home and away.

It's great being back in the championship but our defenders have their work cut out at this higher level. Unlikely to see many clean sheets this season. 

• Sponsored links:

• edited August 2019
    mendonca said:

Agreed but what is the point? We will make mistakes as do most teams, but will prevent goals too. Bowyer and his team will looking at it and applying any lessons. We have conceded 4 goals in three games and scored 7. I'll take that considering the level and our budget. The defence isn't crying out to me as a problem. To be fair, no areas are. Maybe my biggest concern is our squad depth.
  • mendonca said:

Agreed but what is the point? We will make mistakes as do most teams, but will prevent goals too. Bowyer and his team will looking at it and applying any lessons. We have conceded 4 goals in three games and scored 7. I'll take that considering the level and our budget. The defence isn't crying out to me as a problem. To be fair, no areas are. Maybe my biggest concern is our squad depth.
    I think we just have to have realistic expectations of our players.
  • i have expressed my concern on other threads about not having replaced Paddy Bauer - TL and DO are, in my opinion utility/squad defenders and we need a commanding lump alongside Pearce.  Also need a long term replacement for Chris Solly. 
  • If only we had a commanding lump already in our squad, who came second in POTS voting last time. Oh wait I forgot, he's too slow or something (despite being much quicker than Pearce)
  • Sarr will play his part at some point I'm sure.
  • Leuth said:
    If only we had a commanding lump already in our squad, who came second in POTS voting last time. Oh wait I forgot, he's too slow or something (despite being much quicker than Pearce)
    i do not have a problem with Naby - he should be playing alongside Pearce - its when Pearce is injured/suspended, which will happen.  Sarr alongside TL or DO  is frightening and Toby Stephenson and 
    Kenneth Yao are not ready.
  • I confidently predict that Yao will never be an EFL CH at any level.
  • Leuth said:
    If only we had a commanding lump already in our squad, who came second in POTS voting last time. Oh wait I forgot, he's too slow or something (despite being much quicker than Pearce)
    His legs aren't slow.
    It's the connection between brain & legs, that is ponderous. 
  • Be that as it may, I think Pearce/Sarr should be tried, especially if Lockyer has to play full-back (pending Deji's suitability)