Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Aggressive spam ad you are chosen from CL

Comments

• Options
    Getting it on my iPhone, only on CL
  • Options
    I was only getting it on the Hemed thread. Maybe a portent of shit happening?
    Updated iOS and that seems to have sorted it. 
  • Options
    I got this and then started opening up while I was on the Millwall forum. Very frustrating. I had to delete my whole history and that seemed to sort it. 

This was on my my phone as I only use these forums on my phone 
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    I think we prefer to use 'fora' as the plural of forum on Charlton Life. It separates us from other, well, less reputable football discussion groups. 
    Speak for yourself. Anyone saying fora instead of forums i would be wary of 
  • Options
    Same problem myself. 
    Every time I try to like one of my posts it stops me.
    Sort it out admin. 
  • Options
    I had the same issue yesterday evening on my phone, Android not iphone. But tried it now and it seems to have gone
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I got this and then started opening up while I was on the Millwall forum.
    So what you’re saying is that it did you a favour?
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    I think we prefer to use 'fora' as the plural of forum on Charlton Life. It separates us from other, well, less reputable football discussion groups. 
    Speak for yourself. Anyone saying fora instead of forums i would be wary of 
    Latinist

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Appears to be an Apple Safari issue.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    No got an email telling me my CL password to "prove" that they had access to my PC and that they would post images taken from my laptop camera of me "pleasuring myself" unless I sent them £200.

TBH it's been a long time since I pleasured myself on Charlton Life.  
  • Options
    What has happened to the ads on here.  

I have posted this on another old thread but appears that one got sunk.  

They have doubled in size and now are just blaring out of my screen for all and sundry to see as they pass by.  So crap.

• Options
    anybody on iOS, download AdGuard....it definitely helped me with a lot of these issues that have been mentioned above.
  • Options
    Almost impossible to see CL now due to the amount of ads coming through.
  • Options
    Must be just on your phones, I am on a desk top PC and all is well, the ads are a very acceptable size.
  • Options
    This is on my PC.  I wouldn't mind on my phone but i am at work so it's causing an issue. 

I dont want to put an adblocker on as I think it helps finance the site but blimming awful at the moment. 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    This is on my PC.  I wouldn't mind on my phone but i am at work so it's causing an issue. 

I dont want to put an adblocker on as I think it helps finance the site but blimming awful at the moment. 
    Very strange, my desktop is just showing a small set of ads on the left hand side, I dont even notice them?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No comments about the ad being for booze!
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Same for me.
  • Options
    I am getting huge ads as well on my laptop. When this happened a few weeks ago, I cleared all the cookies etc and it went. Today, no effect. How do you stop them overpowering the page, please?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Targeted advertising doing a stellar job :-)
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    No comments about the ad being for booze!
    whoops
  • Options

ok, thanks all. We'll try and look into what can be done.

Just to be clear, we've not applied anything different. We've not purposely changed either the amount or panel size of the ads for years. They should be relatively small and discreet. People are generally accepting of the need to have adverts on websites such as this and are largely eye trained to avoid them or scroll past.  We've never flooded the site with them like local press do, had pop ups or in text ads (which are both hugely annoying), so it should be a clear consistent format which people get used to.

What i think has happened is the more recent versions of the platform that CL is build upon (mainly secturity patch, bug issue updates) is starting to become less compatible with older versions of some browsers. This has lead to some things working inconsistently, some new bugs, and i think some ad panels are being translated / presented differently.

That presents a problem (particularly with work PCs) where as users you are not in control of the browsers or versions applied.

We need to look to find a solution though as none of us want a bad or annoying user experience. And from our perspective we need to cover the costs and carrying those ads allows us to largely achieve that.  I know many people have said in the past just open up to a subscription / membership / donation, but that introduces a whole host of complexity we'd rather not have to engage in unless we really had to.

So we'll have a look and see what can be done and let you know.

• Options
    On my iPad I get no Charlton Life, just adverts  :(
  • Options
    Earlier today I had the same issue of only adverts on my laptop after I cleared my history in an attempt to get rid of the half-page adverts which are taking over the threads.  

Threads now back - as are the over-sized ads (Laptop, google chrome, windows 10)