Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pink Floyd

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Seeing the Aussies tonight in Stoke - set list for this tour looks pretty awesome.
    shut your eyes, listen and they are the REAL Floyd .. saw them years ago, they are VERY good
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    bobmunro said:
    Seeing the Aussies tonight in Stoke - set list for this tour looks pretty awesome.
    shut your eyes, listen and they are the REAL Floyd .. saw them years ago, they are VERY good
    Yes - I've seen them many times and they are sensational in their own right, not just as a tribute band. 

Sold out Royal Albert Hall on Monday - Regent Theatre, Stoke on Wednesday! After the Lord Mayor's show .....
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    bobmunro said:
    Had the VIP package in Margate last year - so was in row 5.  Agree - they are so good in their own right - not really a tribute.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    If James Seed reads this he will go into meltdown  :)
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    They were sensational last night - better than ever.
  • Options
    Agree generally with this assessment of the albums, though I would put Animals above The Wall.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink-floyd-albums-ranked/
    Surprised Saucerful of Secrets comes below Division Bell (tbh, I never really counted that as proper Floyd) or Atom Heart Mother (never really warmed to, perhaps time to try again).
  • Options
    edited November 2019

bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    They were sensational last night - better than ever.

glad you thoroughly enjoyed it .. different genre, I admit to having seen, and really enjoyed, the Aussie AbbA tribute band, 'Bjorn Again' (great name !!) .. also quite remarkable and as good as 'the real thing'
  • Options
    I've been taking the opportunity to listen to some "classic" albums during lockdown and have listened to Dark Side Of The Moon three or four times now in the past week or so.

Can't say I'm massively impressed to be honest. Am I missing something? (drugs?)

The Wall (which is on now) seems so much better on a number of different levels, although to be fair I have heard that a lot more times over the years. (My sister used to listen to it when I was a wee boy, which basically meant the whole street also listened to it!)
  • Options
    You just have to have been "mad for fuckin years" to appreciate Dark Side of the Moon.  Nothing to do with drugs!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2020
    bobmunro said:
    Off_it said:
    I've been taking the opportunity to listen to some "classic" albums during lockdown and have listened to Dark Side Of The Moon three or four times now in the past week or so.

Can't say I'm massively impressed to be honest. Am I missing something? (drugs?)

The Wall (which is on now) seems so much better on a number of different levels, although to be fair I have heard that a lot more times over the years. (My sister used to listen to it when I was a wee boy, which basically meant the whole street also listened to it!)

Both Dark Side and The Wall are both sublime albums (along with Wish You Were Here and Animals) - Dark Side appears in more top 10 Albums of all time lists than you can shake a stick at and is arguably the greatest album ever made.

Are you missing something? Yes!
    Yep, I know, which is why I've been trying to get into it.  Even listened to it on headphones too as read a review saying you haven't heard it until you've listened to it on headphones.

So, what is it I'm not getting?

Or am I wasting my time? - like I did trying to listen to Pet Sounds over and over again before giving up before that dirge made me (metaphorically) slit my wrists!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    bobmunro said:
    Off_it said:

Both Dark Side and The Wall are both sublime albums (along with Wish You Were Here and Animals) - Dark Side appears in more top 10 Albums of all time lists than you can shake a stick at and is arguably the greatest album ever made.

Yep, I know, which is why I've been trying to get into it.  Even listened to it on headphones too as read a review saying you haven't heard it until you've listened to it on headphones.

Or am I wasting my time - like I did trying to listen to Pet Sounds over and over again before giving up before that dirge made me (metaphorically) slit my wrists!

Yes, you might be wasting your time - I can accept that some music is less accessible and needs more effort. That's not a criticism of you, just a fact really.
    Personally, I agree with you on Pet Sounds - not one of my favourite albums but I understand the ground breaking nature of the work.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    bobmunro said:
    Off_it said:

Or am I wasting my time? - like I did trying to listen to Pet Sounds over and over again before giving up before that dirge made me (metaphorically) slit my wrists!
    The thing is, Dark Side was released 47 years ago.

It's of it's time. It was pretty much cutting edge when it first came out.
    And it was recorded with the technology of that time.

If you loved it back then, it still resonates with you now when you give it a listen. If you're younger, chances are that you'll have different musical taste, because you're influenced by the music you grew up with.

Playing it because you read somewhere that you should, is no guarantee that you'll like it.

• Options
    Off_it said:
    bobmunro said:
    Off_it said:

Trouble is you can try to be as open and objective as you like, but ultimately music either moves you or it doesn't.
    I love Pet Sounds and think it is a remarkable work of art and yet I very rarely play it - much more likely to play Wild Honey which is a very basic under-produced r'n'b harmony album.
    Similarly, I like Dark Side, but I would much rather listen to Syd Barrett's albums even though they are little more than a bunch of demo's made by a mentally ill man lacking the drive and direction to realise a cohesive concept, despite the valiant assistance of his erstwhile friends and band-mates.
    The songs reach me in a way that his former bands dirge-like tributes to him never will
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    bobmunro said:
    Off_it said:

Give Bentley Rhythm Ace a try mate - It'll blow your mind...
  • Options
    Off_it said:

The Wall is one of my favourite albums, if not favourite. 

Truly chilling and inspiring in equal measure.

Songs like Waiting for the Worms seem hugely relevant today.
  • Options
    I know I’m in the minority but I really like A Momentary Lapse of Reason, and The Division Bell. Incredible production on both of them, and some really well crafted songs.
  • Options
    Headphones, dark room with the Wizard of Oz on the big screen. 

But seriously, I know albums can grow on you, but I’m generally of the opinion that if it’s “meh” after a few listens, it always will be. 

• Options
    Not smoked weed for donkeys years but used to love lighting one up sitting back and listening to it. 

Wish you Were Here & The Wall were also good Floyd albums for doing it with, along with Tommy and Mystic Voyage by Roy Ayers.
  • Options
    Not smoked weed for donkeys years but used to love lighting one up sitting back and listening to it. 

Wish you Were Here & The Wall were also good Floyd albums for doing it with, along with Tommy and Mystic Voyage by Roy Ayers.

In the Court of the Crimson King also works well!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seen them a few times, including them doing Atom Heart Mother when I bunked in at the Crystal Palace bowl.
    Also saw the original Dark Side stuff with the round screen and all.
    Dark Side of the Moon was such a success, and such a great masterpiece they must've fretted long and hard over their next album. It took what seemed like a long time and then they released Wish You Were Here which in my view sits firmly alongside Dark Side as another masterpiece. Two in a row like that takes some doing.
    When I first met Mrs Plum a friend of hers in Beijing asked me to send out a record by the singer 'Pink Floyd' entitled 'Parkside of the Moon'!

• Options

There are few things that give me more pleasure than introducing someone to a song, album or artist which they grow to love. That moment when you know they feel what you feel is brilliant. But I’ve definitely learnt that the best way to do it is in an understated, low-key way, so listeners go in with no preconceptions. My mate does it well. I’ll get in his car and he’ll have something on in the background that often intrigues me. He doesn’t say “OMG this is the best album you’ve ever heard, listen to this now!” because that’s not the way to do it. I’m not familiar with this album, but I’m pretty sure it’s never going to live up to your sky high expectations after you’ve read so much about it, no matter what speakers or headphones you listen to it through.

• Options
    I’m finally getting round to having some of the signed stuff I have framed up. This is part of the next batch.

• Options
    I’m finally getting round to having some of the signed stuff I have framed up. This is part of the next batch.

such a great album ... shine on you crazy diamond
  • Options
    Saw the 'Floyd' in there 1970 concert in Hyde park, I had gone along with a group of my future wife's friends who were  big fans of the Floyd, I went  originally to see The Edgar Broughton Band, and  Roy Harper. Then again in 74 in London, @Earls Court. Great concert, Love Dark side of the Moon.

• Options
    Came on to say how jealous I am of all the guys old enough to have seen Floyd in the sixties and early seventies.  And then I see the signed WYWH poster - fantastic.

I can never thank my old man enough that he took me to see the Wall at Earls Court in '81 when I was 14.  It made up for taking me to my first Charlton game when I was eight :-)

But The Wall did spoil me for any gig after that.  I've seen all the live tours (and Waters tours) since. Waters recent version of the Wall gave me goosebumps, totally outstanding - I saw it four times.

Favourite albums: I rotate through Dark Side, Animals, Wish & Meddle depending on my mood.  Sometimes the Wall, rarely Final cut or the 60s stuff, tbh.

Of the solo albums, prefer Waters - KAOS is good but Amused to Death is class. Waters' lyrics and Jeff Beck's haunting guitar. 
  • Options
    Came on to say how jealous I am of all the guys old enough to have seen Floyd in the sixties and early seventies.  And then I see the signed WYWH poster - fantastic.

I can never thank my old man enough that he took me to see the Wall at Earls Court in '81 when I was 14.  It made up for taking me to my first Charlton game when I was eight :-)

But The Wall did spoil me for any gig after that.  I've seen all the live tours (and Waters tours) since. Waters recent version of the Wall gave me goosebumps, totally outstanding - I saw it four times.

Favourite albums: I rotate through Dark Side, Animals, Wish & Meddle depending on my mood.  Sometimes the Wall, rarely Final cut or the 60s stuff, tbh.

Of the solo albums, prefer Waters - KAOS is good but Amused to Death is class. Waters' lyrics and Jeff Beck's haunting guitar. 
    I saw Waters The Wall at the Manchester Arena and Wembley Stadium. Manchester was brilliant, and Waters was incredible. Wembley not so good - just too big a venue for him now.
    Listening to The Wall now 'Waiting for the worms'

• Options
    yes, the Wembley gig not so good.  I saw two at the O2 - one in the middle, ten rows back, with the bricks flying over my head..  Also saw the Stade de France, which was better then Wembley - easier to get inside the quad set up.
  • Options
    Saw him at the RAH a few years back - incredible.