Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Live streaming on Valley Pass - new multi camera coverage & Scott Minto hosting p46

Comments

• Options
    WSA said:
    It's early doors yet with these streams and I for one really appreciate my club offering this service in such a complex comms/techie world covering so many of our different set-ups for a very reasonable fee.  Once the teething troubles are sorted it will be great.  As I can't get to games it is bliss being able to see us play and I love listening to our guys on the commentary - thanks.  All I need to do now is stop people visiting during the game.
    That's nice and generous, however it's not clear to me why they have not just gone with iFollow. I didn't suffer any of the problems that beset people on Valley Pass. I just had to put up with the audio commentary of t'Barnsleh. That audio feed was a nano-second behind the video, but much better than in the early days of iFollow. Now they also have video replays too. Does Valley Pass?

I don't agree that its such a reasonable fee either. People have forgotten that when Sky ran pay-per-view games, (late 90's -early 00s) they charged about £5 but for this you got a proper video and audio feed, plus full studio service. 

They didn't go with iFollow because they wanted to produce our own website rather than use the EFL template websites and that development was Phase 1.  This was linked to the Ticketing System revamp and now iFollow equivalent streams.

From memory I think that you had a few things to say in the early days of I-Follow and many complaints were made?  Plus I've watched many of the early I-Follow games with no commentary and then, even worse, the other team's commentators.

The commentators on Valley Pass are excellent and now it seems it is just a matter of time before it is sync'd to the new stream and it holds up for all our devices (even via VPN). 

They have replays on Valley Pass streams too.

Considering the price at £5, I think it is worth giving feedback and being patient.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Talal said:
    Don’t know if this has already been mentioned.
    As well as being on SkySports Action 407, it’s on the red button......but in using the red button it’s with no commentary.....or so I am told.
    Was told by Sky that it's not on the red button. 

As well as being on SkySports Action 407, it’s on the red button......but in using the red button it’s with no commentary.....or so I am told.
    Well that’s what I understand.....go to The Preston V Stoke game on SkySpMainEvHD and press red button......our game programme starts at 19.40 by the way.
    Hope this info is correct as I would hate to be giving out duff info! :*
  • Options
    Talal said:

Well that’s what I understand.....go to The Preston V Stoke game on SkySpMainEvHD and press red button......our game programme starts at 19.40 by the way.
    Hopefully you're right, more options for people the better. 
  • Options
    @WSA I would love to be persuaded that they are not just re-inventing the wheel. The only good reasons not to adopt iFollow are:

1. If they can give us a significantly better viewing experience than on iFollow, plus

2. If they keep significantly more revenue in the club than by adopting iFollow

Do you, does anyone, know of any specific promise as to why this will eventually be a better viewing experience than iFollow, given that "home" commentary is easily available on iFollow, the main video feed is universal, and if you have replays I am not sure what else most viewers are crying out for?

I know that Valley Pass gives me lots of other "video content". You know what? I'm not interested, and I suspect that especially while RD is still there, I'm not the only one. I just want to watch the live game. Bow's comments, any other interesting news, I can and do pick up on Charlton Life if I haven't already seen it on Twitter.

I can guess what they are really dreaming of, that live Charlton games will only be accessible through the club website where you will have to pay an annual sub which will work out at a lot more than £5 game, because of all the other "exciting" video content, and "member benefits". 

But maybe I'm just getting really grumpy in my old age, if anyone in the know wants to put me right, please do. But in the meantime if I risk Valley Pass tomorrow night doesn't it cost me £9 rather than £5 because of some signing on fee? And more importantly doesn't it mean risking the same fiasco as Saturday whereas iFollow Forest will at least show me the game, uninterrupted?

• Options
    @WSA I would love to be persuaded that they are not just re-inventing the wheel. The only good reasons not to adopt iFollow are:

1. If they can give us a significantly better viewing experience than on iFollow, plus

Do you, does anyone, know of any specific promise as to why this will eventually be a better viewing experience than iFollow, given that "home" commentary is easily available on iFollow, the main video feed is universal, and if you have replays I am not sure what else most viewers are crying out for?

I know that Valley Pass gives me lots of other "video content". You know what? I'm not interested, and I suspect that especially while RD is still there, I'm not the only one. I just want to watch the live game. Bow's comments, any other interesting news, I can and do pick up on Charlton Life if I haven't already seen it on Twitter.

I can guess what they are really dreaming of, that live Charlton games will only be accessible through the club website where you will have to pay an annual sub which will work out at a lot more than £5 game, because of all the other "exciting" video content, and "member benefits". 

But maybe I'm just getting really grumpy in my old age, if anyone in the know wants to put me right, please do. But in the meantime if I risk Valley Pass tomorrow night doesn't it cost me £9 rather than £5 because of some signing on fee? And more importantly doesn't it mean risking the same fiasco as Saturday whereas iFollow Forest will at least show me the game, uninterrupted?

Dont forget Prague there will be occasions when iFollow isnt an option

Only 10 (?) teams have signed up to the stock iFollow service that we saw last season

The others either dont use it at all or like Charlton have their own service, that you'd need to research
  • Options
    From the Brighton fans forum...changed it to us...

Desmond Decker classic

Get up in the morning playing for Charlton
    Beram Kayal and Tomer Hem-Ed
    Go-oaaal - The Israelites
  • Options

Only 10 (?) teams have signed up to the stock iFollow service that we saw last season

The others either dont use it at all or like Charlton have their own service, that you'd need to research
    I knew that, but I suppose what I had not considered is that it shows Charlton are not the only ones trying to re-invent the wheel.

It's just another example of the pathetic mess that is English football. I don't think we can blame the EFL per se for this, as the EFL is the trade association of the clubs themselves. so they severally bear responsibility for this mess.
  • Options

I knew that, but I suppose what I had not considered is that it shows Charlton are not the only ones trying to re-invent the wheel.

It's just another example of the pathetic mess that is English football. I don't think we can blame the EFL per se for this, as the EFL is the trade association of the clubs themselves. so they severally bear responsibility for this mess.
    Technology advancement re-invents wheels.  We found EFL's templates not good enough so are going back to in-house control.  Under the current ownership I think the Comms team are doing a great job.
  • Options
    From what I've experienced so far, apart from the commentary issues VP is miles ahead of ifollow in terms of quality.

Also, to claim a fiver is not good value whilst explaining you paid a fiver for a slightly better product in the 90s is a little ridiculous, no?  Not heard of inflation?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:

Hopefully you're right, more options for people the better. 
    Yep.......my info is correct.....................................................................for once. :#
  • Options
    I’ve gone for NowTV to watch our game so should be alright as that’s got SkySports Action I think?

Paid £4 from CD Keys but my code didn’t work so NowTV gave me a new one anyway and CD Keys just gave me a replacement! 2 weeks for £4, happy days!
  • Options
    Yes Nowtv has the Action channel. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Not sure about the Skysports app, I’m getting rights issues playing highlights on the mobile app from abroad.

the SKY Go Action channel works at the moment at least (abroad)
  • Options
    razil said:
    Not sure about the Skysports app, I’m getting rights issues playing highlights on the mobile app from abroad
    Quite possible, as don't think you can't acces to live sports action from abroad.on the app.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    razil said:
    Not sure about the Skysports app, I’m getting rights issues playing highlights on the mobile app from abroad
    Quite possible, as don't think you can't acces to live sports action from abroad.on the app.
    It’s highlights.. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    razil said:
    RedChaser said:
    razil said:
    I know, I can read 😉.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    razil said:
    RedChaser said:
    razil said:
    I know, I can read 😉.
    Phew... :)

• Options

You do not need to sign up to Valley Pass to watch from abroad or VPN. It will just cost £5.
  • Options
    So do we think Sky Go is a go for the game abroad and Sky sports app is a no go? (Excluding a VPN that is) seems odd that the rights would be different if so
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    razil said:
    So do we think Sky Go is a go for the game abroad and Sky sports app is a no go? (Excluding a VPN that is) seems odd that the rights would be different if so
    Here you go but check out the caveats;
    https://www.sky.com/help/articles/streaming-sky-content-in-the-eu
  • Options
    That all checks out (Malta)
  • Options
    razil said:
    Enjoy the game, have you been to Popeye's village yet? 😉
  • Options
    Wednesdays game is on red button according to this (if thats what the red R in a circle means)

• Options
    edited August 2019
    RedChaser said:
    razil said:
    havent planned that but might still

think i might have to watch something on the mobile apps to get it working (in UK over VPN)

..well that didn't seem to help
  • Options
    razil said:
    RedChaser said:
    razil said:

think i might have to watch something on the mobile apps to get it working (in UK over VPN)
    It's also on Sky Sports Action Channel 407.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    RedChaser said:
    razil said:
    RedChaser said:
    razil said:

It's also on Sky Sports Action Channel 407.
    yup just concerned that restrictive rights might kick in when match starts.. think ill try a game tonight and see if that works
  • Options
    Can't decide NOWTV or VP+VPN
  • Options
    I’ve gone for NowTV to watch our game so should be alright as that’s got SkySports Action I think?

Paid £4 from CD Keys but my code didn’t work so NowTV gave me a new one anyway and CD Keys just gave me a replacement! 2 weeks for £4, happy days!
    Did you have to make a complaint about the keys not working?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Can't decide NOWTV or VP+VPN
    Depends you want SKY analysis (if there is any) or the Charlton commentary team