Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blackburn v Charlton | Sat 03 Aug | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Could snatch something, but realistically I expect a comfortable Rovers win. 2-0 to the home side without having to get out of second gear.
  • Options
    1 - 0 Loss, I fear.
  • Options
    We're all at sea, not for the first time. The best we can hope for here is for a draw against a club that has spent quite a bit of money and brought in some very competitive and experienced players. Let's hope that they will take some time to settle into a new team in a real competitive game.
    I'd like to see Bonne given a start, though doubt if this will happen. I don't think Forster-Caskey is up to speed after his long lay off. Lapslie could do a good job in potentially unsettling what will be a very aggressive and ultra competitive Rovers midfield.

Blackburn Rovers 1 v CAFC 1 (in hope really more than expectation)
  • Options
    Chuks Aneke confirmed as being absent for Saturday
    isn't that just typical.
  • Options
    3-1 loss, Blackburn are a good team up there and we need a few more to come in before we will be competitive.
  • Options
    Phillips
    Lockyer, Pearce, Sarr
    Dijksteel, Pratley, JFC, Purrington
    Williams
    Taylor, Bonne

Going to be backs to the wall for a lot of it but I think they’ll find a way, 1-1 Bonne.
    Bowyer confirming Bonne “isn’t ready” means surely he’s not starting.

Phillips
    Lockyer, Pearce, Sarr
    Williams, Morgan
    Taylor

0-0
  • Options
    Phillips
    Lockyer, Pearce, Sarr
    Williams
    Taylor, Bonne

Going to be backs to the wall for a lot of it but I think they’ll find a way, 1-1 Bonne.
    Bowyer confirming Bonne “isn’t ready” means surely he’s not starting.

Phillips
    Lockyer, Pearce, Sarr
    Williams, Morgan
    Taylor

0-0
    He said the same about Morgan though, and he wants to loan him out. More chance Bonne starts than Morgan I think.
  • Options
    I feel this game has come a week or so too soon for us, as we're a few signings off actually being ready. We'll give it a good go as we always do under Bowyer, but i feel they'll have too much for us.

2-0 Blackburn. Dack and Gallagher.
  • Options
    1-1 Taylor gets off the mark from the spot and JFC scores an own goal.

We match them in terms of effort, but they're more skilful. We all get a false sense of security.
  • Options
                      Phillips 
           Lockyer, Pearce, Sarr
    Dyksteele, Oshilaja, Pratley, Purrington,
                  JFC, Williams,
                       Taylor.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Going to the match - looking forward to it, think it’s a good test as Blackburn are a pretty average team in the Championship so will provide a good benchmark for where we are.

Prediction - we’ll get thrashed and will hastily get five players in on loan, two will be good and the others will be absolute rubbish
  • Options
    I can see us hanging on to half time but conceding a couple in the second half . 2-0 to Blackburn 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    3-1 Blackburn, they are a bogey side for us plain and simple, lost 6 in our last 10 Vs them, at Ewood park in our last 10 we have come away with 3 wins and 7 losses. I don't see why it's going to be any different on this occasion based on that form.

That said it may be worth placing a bet on a draw, feel like we are due one against them, 1 draw in our last 10 meetings, 2 in our last 20. 

Safe travels everyone hope we get a result for your sakes  
  • Options
    3-1 Blackburn, they are a bogey side for us plain and simple, lost 6 in our last 10 Vs them, at Ewood park in our last 10 we have come away with 3 wins and 7 losses. I don't see why it's going to be any different on this occasion. 

That said it may be worth placing a bet on a draw, feel like we are due one against them, 1 draw in our last 10 meetings, 2 in our last 20. 

But then again Blackburn havent won on the opening day since 2010...
  • Options
    3-1 Blackburn, they are a bogey side for us plain and simple, lost 6 in our last 10 Vs them, at Ewood park in our last 10 we have come away with 3 wins and 7 losses. I don't see why it's going to be any different on this occasion. 

All the more reason for them to win then, we love gifting teams stuff like that 
  • Options

All the more reason for them to win then, we love gifting teams stuff like that 
    Yeah, just ask Sunderland :)
  • Options
    11-0.
  • Options
    I remember going there as underdogs and winning 2-0
    i remember going there as underdogs and winning 1-0
    ii will be there tomorrow watching us as underdogs again. 3-0 to us.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Chuks Aneke confirmed as being absent for Saturday the rest of the season.
    Corrected for you.
  • Options
    2-0 to Blackburn
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Acab said:
    I remember going there as underdogs and winning 2-0
    i remember going there as underdogs and winning 1-0
    ii will be there tomorrow watching us as underdogs again. 3-0 to us.
    If you go tomorrow you will have a fucking long wait till Kick Off.
  • Options
    That is not a midfield that inspires confidence. Whenever we've played with a back 3 without a natural holding player, we've looked exposed in the area in front of the back three. Think back to Saturday and Oshilaja not getting out fast enough for Villa's third (I think it was). JFC can do that role, as he showed at the end of the season before last, but it robs us of all our creativity in the middle of the park.

Pratley cannot play that role, as he showed at various points last season. I didn't think he was good enough for a top six League One side, and I don't think he's good enough for the Championship. Fair enough he provides leadership, but at some point you need to be able to control the ball with your first touch and pass to a teammate. 

That lack of a holding player also risks exposing Pearce's lack of ability on the ball and lack of pace. Press us, and I fear we'll be in trouble.

Williams is a good addition, and pops up with moments of quality. But he isn't the type to play a pass that can unlock a defense, which we could use if we need to counter attack at pace.

Bonne hasn't shown me anything in pre-season that indicates he's ready to be a regular in the Championship. I suspect he'll be a good long term purchase, but right now he's facing a big step up. 

Phillips' lack of quality with the ball at his feet has reared its head again in pre-season. Could just be a blip. But Amos should really push him for that #1 shirt. We musn't stand on ceremony. Phillips has never played at this level, and he should have saved Villa's third.

Lastly, Solly. Beaten for the opener in his testimonial. At the start of the season before last I thought Robinson was intentionally playing with one attacking fullback (DaSilva) and one conservative one--Solly. Then he had to start playing Clarke on the right to protect Solly, and it became more clear. Solly has lost a lot of pace and athleticism. It was made most clear when Dijksteel came into the side at the end of the season, and all of a sudden we were stronger going forward and at the back with an athletic fullback who could get up and back. We all know Solly has been a great servant, just as we know he can't play 40 games in a season even if he had all the quality in the world. But I fear the Championship this time around may be a bridge too far. Losing Dijksteel, his athleticism and versatility, would be a huge loss.

Could see us getting a scrappy draw. Probably not much else. This is largely the same Blackburn side that was in League One the second half of the season before last. We beat them 1-0, but they also rested Dack and Graham amongst others that day. Don't think there's much in it. I'll go for a 1-1.
  • Options
    3-1 Blackburn
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    That is not a midfield that inspires confidence. Whenever we've played with a back 3 without a natural holding player, we've looked exposed in the area in front of the back three. Think back to Saturday and Oshilaja not getting out fast enough for Villa's third (I think it was). JFC can do that role, as he showed at the end of the season before last, but it robs us of all our creativity in the middle of the park.

Pratley cannot play that role, as he showed at various points last season. I didn't think he was good enough for a top six League One side, and I don't think he's good enough for the Championship. Fair enough he provides leadership, but at some point you need to be able to control the ball with your first touch and pass to a teammate. 

That lack of a holding player also risks exposing Pearce's lack of ability on the ball and lack of pace. Press us, and I fear we'll be in trouble.

Williams is a good addition, and pops up with moments of quality. But he isn't the type to play a pass that can unlock a defense, which we could use if we need to counter attack at pace.

Bonne hasn't shown me anything in pre-season that indicates he's ready to be a regular in the Championship. I suspect he'll be a good long term purchase, but right now he's facing a big step up. 

Phillips' lack of quality with the ball at his feet has reared its head again in pre-season. Could just be a blip. But Amos should really push him for that #1 shirt. We musn't stand on ceremony. Phillips has never played at this level, and he should have saved Villa's third.

Lastly, Solly. Beaten for the opener in his testimonial. At the start of the season before last I thought Robinson was intentionally playing with one attacking fullback (DaSilva) and one conservative one--Solly. Then he had to start playing Clarke on the right to protect Solly, and it became more clear. Solly has lost a lot of pace and athleticism. It was made most clear when Dijksteel came into the side at the end of the season, and all of a sudden we were stronger going forward and at the back with an athletic fullback who could get up and back. We all know Solly has been a great servant, just as we know he can't play 40 games in a season even if he had all the quality in the world. But I fear the Championship this time around may be a bridge too far. Losing Dijksteel, his athleticism and versatility, would be a huge loss.

Could see us getting a scrappy draw. Probably not much else. This is largely the same Blackburn side that was in League One the second half of the season before last. We beat them 1-0, but they also rested Dack and Graham amongst others that day. Don't think there's much in it. I'll go for a 1-1.

Wow that was depressing reading :(

Pratley I agree, although I am more worried about his engine and generally he is very slow.

Oshilaja , Bonne, both early days so will need to step but hard to judge based on pre season alone (admittedly I haven't been to any of the pre season games)

Williams, disagree I think he can unlock defences but not the way reeves does with a pass. Like when he countered importantly against Sunderland where he can just glide from back to front, has pace and skill. Used correctly and if he can stay injury free we have a class player.

Phillips mehh, always gets the distribution which has improved. Firstly and foremost he is a shot stopper and a great one, he commands his area, I have no doubts he will step up and probably the one position on the pitch there wont be a great deal in between the leagues.

Solly, will always be the same, lets see how he gets on early games and whether he has to miss every other like previous seasons, last year he didn't really need to for a bit but then got displaced by a youngster with more engine. Will always be reliable for me so happy to have him start or as a backup for now until he proves otherwise.

Pearce is a great defender but lacks pace, not really sure he would work in a back 3 really but well see. I possibly might not even start him.

JFC is class, I would agree with you he needs to be more in the middle of the park to create. At present he might have to just sit in front of the defence if no one else can so could be a waste.

Not optimistic at all surprisingly but thought I would pick some holes to feel better about our rubbish situation.

• Options
    Comfortable 4-0 home win
  • Options
    I can only hope we play the worst and most boring football ever, park the bus and put everything into row Z. We might then get a 0-0 or keep the score down. Concede first we have had it anyway because I cant see us forcing our way back in to it. We might use up the seasons ration of an unjustified smash and grab I suppose.
    I so want to be wrong.
  • Options
    I cannot feel any hope for us and can only see a defeat, without us scoring, I only hope the score is not too large, no more than 3-0. The hope of five more players joining us before Thursday week is too much to hope for, Bowyer has said that every time he goes for a player some other team gets them, so who will we end up with? I would think if we get two loan signings plus Harriott, that will be all we could hope for. Not good enough, so let us hope we can keep our heads above water until the end of the year and even without a takeover, get other players in. This is going to be a rough season and sorry, I have no optimism at all. Do not listen to me, you can look ahead and hope  :)
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Maybe overly optimistic but think we might surprise a few.  Blackburn 1 - 2 Charlton.  Taylor and Williams (to score a rare goal)...
  • Options
    3-1 loss.
  • Options
    1-2 to LB's red and white army