Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best player you've seen play and which player would you most like to have seen?.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Henry, Bergkamp, Ronaldo, Weah (not at his peak unfortunately). 
    Most like to have seen Simonsen. 
  • Options
    Saw Best, Maradona and Messi live.

Would have loved to have seen Pele.
  • Options
    I saw George Best, Bobby Charlton in 1971 
    Wish I had seen Bobby Moore

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Gazza when Spurs beat us at Selhurst 89/90 was the best individual performance I have seen.  

Would love to to have seen George Best, only time I did was in Dover St wine bar and the only dribbling he was doing was into his pint glass
    I remember that game very well and would agree...

Also against Charlton:
    Unknown Roni Rosenthal against us for Liverpool, midweek at Selhurst park.
    As his name was announced - being the unchallenged expert on holly land football, I reassured my mates that: "take it from me, this guy couldn't even make it in Israel"

He went on to score a hat trick...

Would love to have seen: 
    Diego Armando Maradona
  • Options
    George Best. Also saw Maradona when he was about 19 when England played Argentina  - who were world champions - at Wembley and we beat them 3-1. Would love to have seen Pele play.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Henry, Bergkamp, Ronaldo, Weah (not at his peak unfortunately). 
    Most like to have seen Simonsen. 
    Simonsen was fantastic. About 5 stone dripping wet but what a footballer. Most skilful player ever to wear a Charlton shirt (IMHO) - and I have been watching us for 50 + years.
  • Options
    It's quite amazing how so many people who were around at the time he was playing view George as the greatest they've seen - me included of course.

Those who weren't tend to fall into two camps - those who realise that us old fogies can't all be wrong (and who bother to search youtube to see for themselves) and those who feel he was of his time and wouldn't have been a stand out in the modern game. For those who fall into the second group I would remind them of the out and out thugs of defenders back in the day who could get away with ABH on the pitch. If George was playing today with the protection he would get from referees he would have been even more stand out as the GOAT.
  • Options
    Have seen Messi and Ronaldo in recent years for Barcelona and Real Madrid but the best I have ever seen is Zidane - pure artistry and should be regarded as one of the best ever. Complete genius.

Would loved to have seen Maradona and Cruyff.
  • Options
    Maradonna best I've seen. 

Would love to have seen Best and Van Basten
  • Options
    Gazza when Spurs beat us at Selhurst 89/90 was the best individual performance I have seen.  

Would love to to have seen George Best, only time I did was in Dover St wine bar and the only dribbling he was doing was into his pint glass
    Was a young kid then but still remember his performance that day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best I have seen live was George Best,the one player I watched many times on TV and really wished I had seen him live was Andres Iniesta,this man made the game seem so easy,and I doubt if Barca ,bearing in mind Messi and the rest of the team,would have been as good without him.
  • Options
    Bobmunro exactly my opinion,would Ronaldo Messi survive an afternoon at Elland Road in the 60s,playing on a cabbage patch with Johnny Giles and his mates decapitating anything that moved.
  • Options
    Seen - Simonsen

Wish - Best
  • Options
    So many, depending on position. Best, Gazza in afore mentioned games, Vialli at 92 Euro final, Roy Keane (controversial but brilliant), Glenn Hoddle.
    Obvious Charlton players, Sam, Leary, Summers, Ufton and the man the latter rates as the best he ever played with - Billy Kiernan. Non Charlton - Duncan Edwards. 
  • Options
    Jimmy Greaves was very special: smooth, sly and lethal.  As a nipper at one of my first games in the mid-1960s, I saw him score directly from a corner for Spurs against Liverpool.
  • Options
    I remember seeing Marcelo Salas score for Chile against England at the old Wembley and thought Wow. Also seen Gazza  Cantona, Dion Dublin 😬 etc, wished I'd seen (agreeing with a few) Bobby Moore.
  • Options
    saw george best.
    would like to have seen messi in his pomp and pele
  • Options
    Gazza

Pele
  • Options
    Saw Maradona and Best play live (Best for Charlton). One of the best players I remember seeing was a Brazilian right back called Josimar in the 80’s.

Would love to have seen Pele 
  • Options
    Best in no order 

Bergkamp
    Scholes
    Merson
    Gascoigne 
    Barnes 
    Waddle 
    Sheringham
    Rivaldo 
    Djorkaeff 
    Henry 
    Ronaldo 
    Bowyer 
    Di Canio 
    Gerrard 
    Shearer 

The one I wished I'd seen play in the flesh was Andrea Pirlo, a footballer in the purest form. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Garrincha.

Saw him in the early 60's playing in a "world team" against an "FA 11 " at the old Wembley.
    Scored with his trademark ' banana shot ' if I remember correctly.

Lev Yashin made a fantastic save as well.

For us.....Paulo Di Canio.

Liked to have seen...Alfredo Di Stefano
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Best in no order 

Bergkamp
    Scholes
    Merson
    Gascoigne 
    Barnes 
    Waddle 
    Sheringham
    Rivaldo 
    Djorkaeff 
    Henry 
    Ronaldo 
    Bowyer 
    Di Canio 
    Gerrard 
    Shearer 

The one I wished I'd seen play in the flesh was Andrea Pirlo, a footballer in the purest form. 
    Funnily Pirlo is one I have seen live, I'd forgotten that I saw the Brazil Italy friendly match played at the Emirates in 2009. 

Buffon, Cannavaro, Pirlo all played for Italy. Ronaldinho was probably the most famous Brazilian on show.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Franco Baresi - 40 yard pass along the floor into the path of Baggio. Almost supernaturally seemed to know where opposition were going to move or pass before they did. Far more impressive than any forward whatever the reputation.
    Wish I’d seen the Dutch in the 70’s mainly because I wanted to be Johnny Rep.
  • Options
    Saw Best, Moore and Greaves. Would like to have seen Messi in his prime. 
  • Options
    Saw George Best destroy Spurs at White Hart Lane (used to be featured on the Big Match every week). Also was at the Fulham match when he and Rodney Marsh toyed with Hereford Utd (another famous TV match). And also saw him at the Les Berry testimonial when, complete with booze belly, he sprayed superb 50 yard passes around for fun and made our lot look quality against a top notch Arsenal.

Special mention for having seen world cup winners: Charlton (R), Nobby Stiles, Bobby Moore, Martin Peters and Alan Ball. 

Greatest Charlton: Simonsen and Costa

Wished I could have seen Duncan Edwards play (my dad said he was a force of nature). 
  • Options
    Best individual performances I've seen: Charlton game - probably Kanchelskis at O.T. v us in the cup or Giggs at the Valley in the prem; for Charlton - probably De Canio at Portsmouth single handed and by sheer force of will dragging the whole team to a result; best player I've seen play maybe Gianfranco Zola, his powers were slightly faded when he was turning out for Chelsea but a privilege to behold; best individual performance of all probably Teddy Sheringham for England at Wembley v Scotland Euro 96.  Most consistently 'best' Charlton player match to match (since early 90's) was Yann Kermorgant.
    Players I'd have liked to have seen in the flesh, George Best on one of those days when he seemed to be a higher form of life on a football pitch.  Jimmy Greaves & Duncan Edwards are the two names that always come up with the older generation as being really special.