Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best player you've seen play and which player would you most like to have seen?.

The only real great I've seen is Cruyff but was probably too young to appreciate at the time. Ronaldo is the only high profile player I've seen play in recent times but not sure if he'll be classified as a 'great'.

The player I'd most like to have seen is Garrincha - incredible story and amazingly skilful player.

Comments

• edited July 2019
    Saw Georgie Best in his Fulham days, my footballing hero.
    I would have loved to have seen Pele, Beckenbauer and Maradonna.
  • edited July 2019
    Consistently best against us would have to be Henry. Scared the life out of me (and no doubt Luke Young).

Seen Messi play live (although Iniesta was better during the game) and Ronaldo plenty of times so privileged to have done that.

Player I would have liked to have seen outside of him playing for Argentina would be Maradonna.
  • edited July 2019
    Best I’ve seen is my old mucker George Best - the best there’s been in my opinion.

Not seen? Pele
  • You cant be classed as great unless you have played for Charlton.  So, with that limitation, the greatest players I have seen are Derek Hales, Allan Simonsen and George Best.  And the one I would most like to have seen is Sam Bartram. 
  • Seen George Best
    Dennis Law
    Jimmy Greaves
    Dalgliesh 
    Simmonson 
    Plus all the top premiership players during charltons time. 

Plus Simon church. 
  • Cantona - seen
    Puskas - would like to have seen
  • The only real great I've seen is Cruyff but was probably too young to appreciate at the time. Ronaldo is the only high profile player I've seen play in recent times but not sure if he'll be classified as a 'great'.

The player I'd most like to have seen is Garrincha - incredible story and amazingly skilful player.
    You don't think a guy who's won 4 champions leagues and 5 Ballon D'ors will be classified a 'great'? How?

For me: 
    Seen play live - Messi
    Wished i'd seen live - Maradona
    Some players change the way football is played as they present a different style - in terms of achievement alone Ronaldo is certainly very successful and a 'great' but I'm not sure if he's changed the style of football in the way some players have.

I'd say Maradona and Messi were more influential.
  • edited July 2019
    Sir Stanley Matthews when he was towards the end of his career. Played for Stoke and was well marked by John Hewie. The great man was in his late 40's at the time.
  • George Best

For Charlton Stuart Leary

• Sponsored links:

• Best I've seen live - George Best.
    One I would have liked to have seen - Pele.

• Only more recent ones, e.g. Schmeichel, Keane, Cantona, Giggs, Scholes, Ronaldo, Henry, Vieira etc plus Modric in the FA Cup game

Probably can add Gascoigne to that list too
  • Ronaldo is the best I have seen, although wasn’t quite a superstar when I saw him. I think Henry was the best player I have ever seen. 

I would love to have watched Best, I think he had an aura about him that would have been special. Definitely up there with the most naturally gifted footballers ever. 

Ronaldo is class but works hard to keep himself fit and to maximise his potential. Best could have 5 pints and still run rings round everyone. 
  • edited July 2019
    I saw George Best play at Les Berry's testimonial against Arsenal and he was a complete genius. He was ten times better than I thought he would be.
  • Probably Cantona or Ronaldo best seen in the flesh, would love to see Maradonna or Messi.
  • Cristiano Ronaldo, in one of his first games for United against Charlton. People talk about how Kishishev kicked him from pillar to post in that game, but from my perspective Kishishev didn’t get close to him and had no other choice. CR’s pace and trickery was mind boggling that day.

Thierry Henry is also up there. Probably the fastest player I’ve ever seen, he literally would breeze past players in first gear. 

The one I had wished to have seen - it’s still Lionel Messi. For me, he is the best footballer to have ever lived. 
  • I've seen Ronaldo and Messi, for Man U and Argentina respectively. Both were fairly young and neither in their prime, but still pretty cool. 

I could name at least 30 players I'd want to watch. I'll go with Best
  • Wished i'd seen live - Maradona
    Wished I'd seen dead - Maradona
  • Wished i'd seen live - Maradona
    Wished I'd seen dead - Maradona
    Bit harsh.
  • edited July 2019
    Robin Van Persie takes some beating IMHO. 

In a Charlton shirt, Jorge Costa and Paulo Di Canio would top my list.

I would've liked to have seen Pele in his prime and George Best, popular choices looking at other peoples' posts.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2019
    I would have liked to have seen Sam Bartram play. He was from a time when the position was less technical, but when you read about how he played the game, he must have been a pleasure to watch.

I found this on You Tube about Sam and I think some good points were being made!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpdPThxNwxA
  • Had the privilege of seeing Messi scoring a hatrick against Ajax, and Ronaldo for Man U and Real a few times. 

However, for one-off performances, Giggs against us in the 3-3 in '98 - hit the bar from the halfway line, with Solskjaer scoring the rebound (would have been a far better goal than Beckham's v Wimbledon if Giggs' shot had gone in), and he nearly scored a replica of his famous cup semi-final solo run vs Arsenal 2 or 3 times against us in the same game.

Also, Henry-inspired Arsenal, can't remember the year, think it might have been 3-0. Tore us to pieces, and they were so good to watch that I actually didn't mind too much that we got stuffed, almost felt lucky to be able to see in the flesh a great side at their very best. 

Is it ridiculous to put David Whyte one this thread? I thought he was a genius on his day. He doesn't seem to get mentioned that much. Pretty sure it would be a different story if his 40-yarder against Millwall on New Year's Day '95 had gone in instead of bouncing back off the bar.
  • Dick Tydeman and George Best seen live many times

Sir Stanley Matthews (not seen playing football live but seen him outside stoke’s ground many times) 
  • edited July 2019
    Saw Xavi and Iniesta run rings round Sevilla in the Nou Camp (Messi was rested) - passing round corners & gaps etc they could find were crazy.

Xavi ran it a bit more so I'd say that was the best individual performance I've seen. 

Giggs in the 3-3 v us was ridiculous too, it was Giggs v Charlton that day.

Would love to have seen George Best.
  • I can't pick one out, but the best performances I've seen live are:

Dalglish, Best, Cantona, Villa, Ian Wright, Messi, Bergkamp, Ardiles, Hansen, Ronaldo, Bobby Moore, Lineker

Would like to have seen live: Pele, Eusebio
  • edited July 2019
    Yes, I recall him hitting the crossbar from the halfway line which was followed up for a goal and we all applauded. I think getting opposing fans doing that is one of the ultimate accolades. It is as rare as hen's teeth!
  • Best seen live - Zidane

Most like to have  seen - Cruyff

• I've seen Puskas, Di Stefano, Stanley Matthews, Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, Jimmy Greaves, Alan Simenson, Cristiano Ronaldo.

Best I've seen live: George Best (at his peak playing for ManU)

Would like to have seen: Pele
  • Pretty out there ones for me, but on individual  performance on the day - Kanchelskis/Gazza - unplayable at their best

Player Id love to have seen live in his prime - Ian Rush
  • Gazza, pre cruciate injury - best I ever saw live. Lineker, live, was awesome. May have seen George Best play against us 75ish at Fulham ? Never seen Ronaldo, Messi live. Went to the game where England bowed out of the Euros in 2000, Romania - extremely impressed with Beckhams workrate / skill