Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gillingham v Charlton - Match Thread

afternoon everyone, I’m assuming we’ve sold out the away end at Gills today? :-)

Anyone going?

Comments

• Any reason for it being a 2pm kick off?
  • Just avoid injuries.
  • No Purrington / Forster-Caskey / Solly involved?

Otherwise Id say thats the team against Blackburn
  • edited July 2019
    Three at the back continues. Getting more like a first choice team now, until more signings come in.

No Solly, is he injured?

Phillips
                 Lockyer Pearce Sarr
    Dijksteel                              Page           
                     Pratley Morgan
                            Aneke
                      Taylor Bonne

I’d hope not - that midfield is total poo
  • This explains it, Solly, JFC and Purrington will get longer run outs on Tuesday.
  • White kit again, and against Colchester I presume we'll also wear it!
  • Sponsored links:

• What about Williams?
  • White kit again, and against Colchester I presume we'll also wear it!
    Colchester wear blue and white so surely wearing this kit or our 3rd kit will clash. Hopefully we’ll give our new home kit a run out

I’d hope not - that midfield is total poo
    Morgan playing in a deeper role has been one of the stand outs of pre season for me so far.

Aneke's more naturally a 10, although I think he's looked good as part of a front two.

Pratley has done well pinging long passes from CB, but didn't rate him as a central midfielder in League One and certainly don't rate him there at Championship level. 
  • Scoham said:
    Any reason for it being a 2pm kick off?
    Police advice?
  • With Morgan, his passing is top notch but I wanted to see more energy from him last season.
  • With Morgan, his passing is top notch but I wanted to see more energy from him last season.
    He showed it in patches. I think he's still very much working on his positioning, and as such does some unnecessary running. In the second leg in the playoff he was run ragged down the lefthand side, which is why he was substituted at halftime. 

All things to be expected from a young player, especially one who I believe grew up playing more as an attacking midfielder and a winger. His technical ability and vision make him very exciting though. I think he'll be on the fringes of the squad this year. I think Lapslie will get loaned out. 
  • SDAddick said:
    With Morgan, his passing is top notch but I wanted to see more energy from him last season.
    He showed it in patches. I think he's still very much working on his positioning, and as such does some unnecessary running. In the second leg in the playoff he was run ragged down the lefthand side, which is why he was substituted at halftime. 

All things to be expected from a young player, especially one who I believe grew up playing more as an attacking midfielder and a winger. His technical ability and vision make him very exciting though. I think he'll be on the fringes of the squad this year. I think Lapslie will get loaned out. 
    Also worth remembering that a diamond 4-4-2 leaves an incredible amount of pressure on those playing in the middle, they need to cover central midfield as well as the wing they are on, they often wont have an easy outball to a winger. Tough for an 18 year-old to come straight into that formation but he will have learnt a hell of a lot.
  • edited July 2019
    I agree - it is very hard to teach a young player to pass like he can, but you can teach them to run their socks off productively and tackle a bit harder much more easily. That is a positive.
  • Decent team for all things considered. With Solly, Purrington, and Forster-Caskey added to the team, we are slowly getting there for sure. Definitely can tell we need midfielders and fast, but also can tell we need at least another striker too.
  • Sponsored links:

• nothing on valley pass for me yet, anyone else?
  • Anyone got anything on Valley Pass yet?
  • charltonaddickedmatt said:
    nothing on valley pass for me yet, anyone else?
    not yet
  • Anyone got Valley Pass coverage yet? 
  • cafc-west said:
    Anyone got anything on Valley Pass yet?
    No, on Twitter they just said they'll be on VP shortly

• SDAddick said:
    cafc-west said:
    Anyone got anything on Valley Pass yet?
    No, on Twitter they just said they'll be on VP shortly

Thanks - just started...
  • SDAddick said:
    With Morgan, his passing is top notch but I wanted to see more energy from him last season.

Also worth remembering that a diamond 4-4-2 leaves an incredible amount of pressure on those playing in the middle, they need to cover central midfield as well as the wing they are on, they often wont have an easy outball to a winger. Tough for an 18 year-old to come straight into that formation but he will have learnt a hell of a lot.
    Absolutely, a great point. And I thought he largely acquitted himself very well, and I don't want to be too harsh on the lad, he was a real shining light in the run in. His vision and ability to open teams up with a pass is something we've been crying out for for quite some time, and I'm really excited to see more of him. I just felt the second leg against Donny was a match too far for him, but far more experienced players struggled that night, and alls well that ends well.
  • What we can tell too is the squad numbers we know so far.

1. Phillips
    2. Dijksteel
    3. Page
    5. Lockyer
    6. Pearce
    7. Williams
    8. Forster-Caskey 
    9. Taylor
    10. Aneke
    13. Amos
    15. Pratley
    16. Purrington
    17. Bonne
    19. Morgan
    20. Solly 
    23. Sarr

Others include:
    32. Lapslie
    33. Dempsey
    36. Maloney
    38. Quitirna
    39. Odoh
    40. Wiredu
    45. Doughty 

We can only assume that the 6 coming in would take the numbers 4, 11, 12, 14, 18, 21
  • Scoham said:
    Any reason for it being a 2pm kick off?
    To give everyone a chance to get to the Home of Cricket for the Spitfires' opening match of the T20 campaign?