Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Welling match thread 13/07/19

Comments

• James Wilson is the only other name (apart from Barmby) that I recognise from their squad

He's the Striker who has just left after an very injury hit time
    Blackett plays for Reading
    Of course he does!!... Stupid of me to forget that
  • Pleasant afternoon. Players looked typical for preseason - sort of interested etc. Some of the youngsters looked competent. Pratley might well be an important cog this year. 
  • A couple of encouraging turns from Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu - good physicality and touch - and Albie Morgan - master of the field in the first half - but not much else to report. It is, after all, only a glorified warm up.

A few most enjoyable pints down the ‘Door Hinge’ reinforced the ‘summer fair’ atmosphere of the occasion.
  • I think our pre season is progressing, it lasted longer than 45 minutes. (Only for Junior though)
  • edited July 2019
    1st half better than the 2nd......Taylor looked uninterested for most of it & bar the shot that hit the woodwork he didnt look like scoring. Disappointed with Aneke too.....but its early days so let's just say he was ring rusty. As someone up thread mentioned it's the midfield that we urgently need bodies. Only Morgan really shined out there today and the rest treated the ball like is was a hot potatoe.. 

From what I saw today I'd be starting at Blackburn with:

Phillips
    Dijikstel
    Lockyer
    Pratley
    Sarr
    Page
    Morgan
    Aneke
    JFC
    A.N. Other
    Taylor.

That is Bowyer going with 5 at the back & using last years players rather than anyone else.

This might hurt some people but after today I would say Solly is 3rd choice right back........and not too many of the U23's are good enough to step up. Doherty was ok but nothing special as were the 2 "dreads" in midfield 1st half. 

• Impossible to tell after 45 minutes of the first pre season game but the most ring rusty to me was Dijksteel. Cook for them gave him a really hard time and was their stand out player by a mile. What I liked about the first half particularly was the pace and territory we had. Always looked to attack. And our three at the back in particular looked very assured in possession. Was also so noticeable how much more confident in his game Naby looked from this time last year. Seems to really believe in himself now which is excellent to see.

Was also interesting to see us start using the new goal kicks to our advantage as well. Think Bowyer will really use that to his advantage this year.

i thought Dempsey showed a good assurance on the ball alongside the other two more ‘exciting’ players. Always been a big fan of Sarpong-Wiredu whenever I have seen him play.

We’re in better shape than this time last year and I trust Bowyer and Gallen to fill the current gaps to give us a very competitive team next year.
  • Of the new players, (I'm not going to include Purrington) the one who impressed me most was Bonne.

Showed a turn of speed, some determination, and was taking the game (maybe a little too) seriously.
  • Was it a surprise we didn't add to our goal tally in the second half?
  • Wheres Pearce? Is he injured 
  • Sponsored links:

• uie2 said:
    Wheres Pearce? Is he injured 
    Sorry just looked again ! Played 2nd half
    Not really. The 3 centre backs in the first half were far more composed on the ball, and used it better.

Add Maloney into the mix, and we were pretty much guaranteed to make more chances in the 1st half.
  • 1st half better than the 2nd......Taylor looked uninterested for most of it & bar the shot that hit the woodwork he didnt look like scoring. Disappointed with Aneke too.....but its early days so let's just say he was ring rusty. As someone up thread mentioned it's the midfield that we urgently need bodies. Only Morgan really shined out there today and the rest treated the ball like is was a hot potatoe.. 

Phillips
    Dijikstel
    Lockyer
    Pratley
    Sarr
    Page
    Morgan
    Aneke
    JFC
    A.N. Other
    Taylor.

That is Bowyer going with 5 at the back & using last years players rather than anyone else.

This might hurt some people but after today I would say Solly is 3rd choice right back........and not too many of the U23's are good enough to step up. Doherty was ok but nothing special as were the 2 "dreads" in midfield 1st half. 

Just the 5-0 to Blackburn ?  Why on earth would Pratley be in defence ahead of Pearce? 
  • edited July 2019
    wmcf123 said:
    1st half better than the 2nd......Taylor looked uninterested for most of it & bar the shot that hit the woodwork he didnt look like scoring. Disappointed with Aneke too.....but its early days so let's just say he was ring rusty. As someone up thread mentioned it's the midfield that we urgently need bodies. Only Morgan really shined out there today and the rest treated the ball like is was a hot potatoe.. 

Phillips
    Dijikstel
    Lockyer
    Pratley
    Sarr
    Page
    Morgan
    Aneke
    JFC
    A.N. Other
    Taylor.

Just the 5-0 to Blackburn ?  Why on earth would Pratley be in defence ahead of Pearce? 
    Golfie doesnt mention a scoreline unless I'm missing something?

The five he mentions is what I guess will be a 3-5-2 formation (i.e. five at the back defending with wing backs)
  • wmcf123 said:

Phillips
    Dijikstel
    Lockyer
    Pratley
    Sarr
    Page
    Morgan
    Aneke
    JFC
    A.N. Other
    Taylor.

Golfie doesnt mention a scoreline unless I'm missing something?

The five he mentions is what I guess will be a 3-5-2 formation (i.e. five at the back defending with wing backs)
    No- that was my prediction with that starting 11 !

I trust Bow will bring us a few new signings before then and get them suitably fired up 
  • I thought Albie played very well. Everything went through him first half. Forster-Caskey still seems off the pace, understandable as that is. I can see Albie having more appearances this season than him.
    Not really. The 3 centre backs in the first half were far more composed on the ball, and used it better.

Add Maloney into the mix, and we were pretty much guaranteed to make more chances in the 1st half.
    And yet potentially we had more fire power up front second half?
  • wmcf123 said:

Phillips
    Dijikstel
    Lockyer
    Pratley
    Sarr
    Page
    Morgan
    Aneke
    JFC
    A.N. Other
    Taylor.

Because of the showing today he looked better than Pearce & worked well with the other 2 (Sarr & Lockyer)

And yet potentially we had more fire power up front second half?
    Yep. But you need to make chances for the attackers. The quality of the passing was much better in the 1st half.
  • Scoham said:
    Quitirna staying on, JFC won’t get a full half.

Our former player Aaron Barnes is coming on for Welling.
    Surprised he is only playing at this level. Can't believe we let him go and kept Yao.
    Barnes got a last minute call, Welling needed a full back and he agreed to play for them. He was released by Colchester but I think he will get a league 2 club next season
  • Sponsored links:

• Barnes is 23 in a few months and at best would be third choice. He couldn’t get in Colchester’s League 2 side, while we have Sarpong-Wiredu who looks like he is progressing well and could offer cover at right back/right wing back.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Impossible to tell after 45 minutes of the first pre season game but the most ring rusty to me was Dijksteel. Cook for them gave him a really hard time and was their stand out player by a mile. What I liked about the first half particularly was the pace and territory we had. Always looked to attack. And our three at the back in particular looked very assured in possession. Was also so noticeable how much more confident in his game Naby looked from this time last year. Seems to really believe in himself now which is excellent to see.

Was also interesting to see us start using the new goal kicks to our advantage as well. Think Bowyer will really use that to his advantage this year.

i thought Dempsey showed a good assurance on the ball alongside the other two more ‘exciting’ players. Always been a big fan of Sarpong-Wiredu whenever I have seen him play.

We’re in better shape than this time last year and I trust Bowyer and Gallen to fill the current gaps to give us a very competitive team next year.
    Good post. Cook was in the Dagenham promotion squad when he was 18/19 but then had some personal issues. Was head and shoulders above the Welling team. 
  • wmcf123 said:

Phillips
    Dijikstel
    Lockyer
    Pratley
    Sarr
    Page
    Morgan
    Aneke
    JFC
    A.N. Other
    Taylor.

As it was only in a first half back three when Pearce wasn't on the pitch, it worked well. Pratley appeared much fitter than last season with some impressive running. Defended well and contributed to the passing game.
  • Barnes was unfortunate with the move to Colchester. Colchester’s RB was supposed to be going to Ipswich last season, but the move fell through, Barnes was then unable to force himself into the starting 11. 
  • Scoham said:
    Barnes is 23 in a few months and at best would be third choice. He couldn’t get in Colchester’s League 2 side, while we have Sarpong-Wiredu who looks like he is progressing well and could offer cover at right back/right wing back.
    Barnes can play either full back role, and if he's filled out a bit could easily play in a three.
  • Scoham said:
    Barnes is 23 in a few months and at best would be third choice. He couldn’t get in Colchester’s League 2 side, while we have Sarpong-Wiredu who looks like he is progressing well and could offer cover at right back/right wing back.
    Barnes can play either full back role, and if he's filled out a bit could easily play in a three.
    We have seven first team defenders that are better than Barnes and are no doubt hoping to bring in another centre back who is also better.
    No, the object of the match was to get game time for players and no injuries, not a sense of self importance that we can beat a non-league team.
  • Sarpong-Wiredu looked very good. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the bench instead of Solly at times this season
  • Crusty54 said:
    wmcf123 said:

Phillips
    Dijikstel
    Lockyer
    Pratley
    Sarr
    Page
    Morgan
    Aneke
    JFC
    A.N. Other
    Taylor.

As it was only in a first half back three when Pearce wasn't on the pitch, it worked well. Pratley appeared much fitter than last season with some impressive running. Defended well and contributed to the passing game.
    Forgive me- I thought we were playing Welling in a friendly