Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Purrington - signed for Ross County (p23)

Comments

• Options
     Big fan of Ben.  Much better full back than Maatsen.  Never understood the criticism of him in the champ.  Yes he had a bad spell in the champ, but he also was good in our start.  Maatsen's better on the ball, but manages to position wrong defensively or offensively.  Ben is a metronome, although he did run out of steam sometimes last  season whilst Maatsen didn't:  If that happens he needs subbing, but doesn't sound like it is this season.

Great work Ben, keep it up.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    That's what makes him danger - diagonal runs! It's no accident as look at who his manager is.
    This is a good point, he is actually quite a similar type of player to Jacko and can see his influence on Ben Purr. You wouldn't describe Jacko as particularly creative, but you would say he was very solid, works hardcovers ground and can do a bit of everything. He had that knack of being in the right place at the right time, perfectly timing his runs into the box, attacking the ball and always wanting it more. I see the exact same thing with Ben in how he attacks the ball the only difference is the starting position of the run.
  • Options
    Just posting to observe that while Purrington is doing very well, Maatsen's team are 4th in the Championship
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    That said, Purrington doesn't operate like a classic wing-back either. He doesn't get the cross in very often. He sort of goes from being a wide defensive presence to being a support striker, with little in between
    It's a new style of wing back, I think we've taken a lot from how Chelsea operate with their wide players. Chilwell and Alonso are basically there to get on the end of cross-field balls and finish chances if they're not defending, coming very narrow, and aren't really expected to do much else. On the other side Reece James is tasked with being the key creative presence out wide and maintaining the width as much as he can. Tuchel has also put Hudson-Odoi there when he's wanted to dominate teams, and when he didn't know if James could provide the attacking end product he was after. We're doing a similar thing with ours, expecting the right-sided WB to drive up the pitch and get crosses in, and Purrington to be on the end of them once Stockley draws the entire defence to him (assuming he hasn't tried to murder someone yet that game).
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Interesting that you make the comparison to Chelsea of all teams. I'm not saying that in a sly way, just shows that for all the disparity in resources (and quality, let's face it) Jackson and Euell are clearly taking notes from the top table of football and clearly have ambition of being better than "League One cloggers."

And more power to them for that. Purrington has done very well in the new role and deserves credit for it but kudos also to whoever made the connection of putting him into the position and having the faith in him to execute it. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Just posting to observe that while Purrington is doing very well, Maatsen's team are 4th in the Championship
    It's almost like he's seen as a better prospect by one of the biggest teams in football. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    That said, Purrington doesn't operate like a classic wing-back either. He doesn't get the cross in very often. He sort of goes from being a wide defensive presence to being a support striker, with little in between
    It's a new style of wing back, I think we've taken a lot from how Chelsea operate with their wide players. Chilwell and Alonso are basically there to get on the end of cross-field balls and finish chances if they're not defending, coming very narrow, and aren't really expected to do much else. On the other side Reece James is tasked with being the key creative presence out wide and maintaining the width as much as he can. Tuchel has also put Hudson-Odoi there when he's wanted to dominate teams, and when he didn't know if James could provide the attacking end product he was after. We're doing a similar thing with ours, expecting the right-sided WB to drive up the pitch and get crosses in, and Purrington to be on the end of them once Stockley draws the entire defence to him (assuming he hasn't tried to murder someone yet that game).
    Going back to Conte, Chelsea played with a back 3 and I remember Alonso scoring a number of goals at the back post. Indeed he has 22 goals in 132 league games for Chelsea!
  • Options

• Options
    I need to apologise for nothing ;)

Always had faith in his ability, although never expected him to be so prolific in front of goal
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He ISN'T England's best left-back. He isn't a left-back any more! He might well be Charlton's second-best striker, though 
  • Options
    Harry Kane's deputy for England :)

The keeper should have done better really, but he still had to be in the right place, and hit the target
  • Options
    I need to apologise for nothing ;)

Always had faith in his ability, although never expected him to be so prolific in front of goal
    I saw it slightly differently, I wasn’t convinced he was anything more than a good solid L1 full back. His goalscoring and commitment is a bit like Jackson as a player - there will always be quicker, more exciting and better technical players in the team, but the impact their qualities have shouldn't be underestimated.

I saw the potential for him to score goals from the way he constantly gets in the box, however being a defender it was difficult to see how we could give a him a role where could do that.

Never saw a wing back role suiting him, but by having a winger on the opposite side you get the pace and trickery he doesn't offer - though he does seem to have improved at taking players on.

Jackson's said he can get into double figures this season. No reason why not, goalscoring is about more than being a great finisher. It's also and sometimes mainly about getting in the right places often enough.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/johnnie-jackson-ben-purrington-can-score-double-figures-for-charlton-this-season/
  • Options
    @wmcf123

Any views on Ben Purrington ?

• Options
    From steady Eddie to steady Heady.

I said Ben Purrington may get 8 to 10 goals playing the wing back role and it helped my LOL's count !  Their not laughing now.

Keep scoring Ben.

Johnnie Jackson, you weren't the first person to say Ben Bale Purrington might hit double figures.
  • Options
    Scored in play off. 
    As said before a great and very much underestimated player for us 
  • Options
    3 goals in his last 5 league games 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Harry Kane's deputy for England :)

The keeper should have done better really, but he still had to be in the right place, and hit the target
    Maybe the keeper will be disappointed with himself but I thought it was an excellent goalscorer’s kind of goal. He peeled off his marker, watched the ball carefully as it came across a crowded area, chested down calmly knowing that the space he had would be quickly closed down, and the hit a nicely controlled shot which he kept low and took early meaning the keeper couldn’t set himself as he came across his goal. It was confident and composed and a step up in terms of finishing from winning a header or tapping home a cross on the far post. 
    If I didn't know who scored that goal I wouldn't have guessed who it was from the behind the goal camera angle. 

If you forget the championship season BP has played as good as two league 1 seasons for us and I still have no idea how good he really is.  He has been a steady 7, awful and brilliant for spells.  If he he can do more brilliant and no awful he can make his own legend. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    @wmcf123

Very good today .  Long may it continue .  You ? 
  • Options
    Great to see BP getting in the box more and also from set pieces.  Usually full backs hold back allowing the centre backs to go up. Another example of the new formation working in our favour perhaps.

BP will be getting his own song at this rate.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    @wmcf123

I couldn't help but notice when I went back to check my old texts on Ben Purrington that you had posted a dozen texts basically saying he was useless. We all have different opinions on players and pleased to say that my opinion was the polar opposite to you.

You don't rate him, you made that Crystal clear, but even now your saying he was all right today, what about every game he has played under JJ ?  I'm sure he will have a iffy game soon so you can slag him off again.

Have a nice day. 

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    @wmcf123

I couldn't help but notice when I went back to check my old texts on Ben Purrington that you had posted a dozen texts basically saying he was useless. We all have different opinions on players and pleased to say that my opinion was the polar opposite to you.

You don't rate him, you made that Crystal clear, but even now your saying he was all right today, what about every game he has played under JJ ?  I'm sure he will have a iffy game soon so you can slag him off again.

Have a nice day. 

Tbf Purrington has had spells of being useless, so much so he was a prime candidate for Bowyer's "he will never play for me again" comment.  To deny that is as obtuse as denying he is playing very well now.  The same is true for a number of others as well. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    @wmcf123

Have a nice day. 

Why are you so angry ? He was good yesterday, good against Doncaster , alright against Rotherham.  I saw many games in the championship when he was absolutely hopeless .  Maybe he’s improved - players do .  
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Ben is a really good finisher. Probably his second best attribute after defending. Quite strange for a left-back, but it's working!
  • Options
    English Budget  Gareth Bale.
  • Options
    Needs a song and a nickname. 

Purrnaldo?
    Purgero?
    The Devon Dani Alves?
    Purrberto Carlos?

• Options
    Benarto Purlos