Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Purrington - signed for Ross County (p23)

1181920212224»

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Scoham said:
    This bit below has caused some anger on Twitter, considered a “red flag” by some.

“I was called in originally [when Jackson was still in charge] and told they had made a joint decision there would be a contract for me,” said Purrington. “I thought it would be pretty straightforward to get it done, but then I didn’t hear anything for a few weeks.

“I tried to chase things up and didn’t hear anything, I couldn’t get hold of anyone – that’s sort of when you get a hint! Then they explained about the new manager coming in and they didn’t know who it was yet, which is totally understandable [for the delay]. I got the call finally from Steve Gallen basically saying there was nothing there for me anymore.

One manager likes a player , the next doesn’t .  It’s fairly standard , I’d have thought, especially with BP’s limitations 
    Agree on that part, the point made on Twitter was that it's not "Charlton" to leave BP waiting and not answer his calls. Was compared to sacking JJ by phone.
    Not to add to the pile on for TS, but the way he’s handled some of these departures really isn’t the right way to do things - especially for staff that deserve a level of respect for their service in dark times. 
    Not sure BP was calling TS though?
  • Options
    Big mistake letting him go unless he wanted mega money.

Solid pro, long serving, loyal servant, not old, rarely injured, scored goals, seemed a decent sort and we don't have any left backs - never mind a better one.

Can see him returning from Scotland for £300K in January on a five year contract. 
  • Options
    Big mistake letting him go unless he wanted mega money.

Solid pro, long serving, loyal servant, not old, rarely injured, scored goals, seemed a decent sort and we don't have any left backs - never mind a better one.

Can see him returning from Scotland for £300K in January on a five year contract. 
    I quite liked Purrington, solid player if unspectacular, but I can see the logic in Garner thinking he's not right for attacking possession based football.
  • Options
    Just looked on Rightmove - my word you get a lot of property for your money up there 😳
    Yeah but you need a mortgage to pay the heating bills. 
  • Options
    Just looked on Rightmove - my word you get a lot of property for your money up there 😳
    Wood burning stoves, jobs a goodun
  • Options
    And lighting in the winter with fewer daylight hours!
  • Options
    Yeah, but probably not a problem on a pro footballers's wage.
    Even at Ross County.

Seriously, it's a better move for Ben Purr than some believe.
    He gets to play some big matches. Pub league? - some games in front of 50,000 people.

He only did that the once at CAFC. :smile:

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Oggy Red said:
    Even at Ross County.

He gets to play some big matches. Pub league? - some games in front of 50,000 people.

That might make up for playing in front of 4,000 at home
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Chunes said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Even at Ross County.

That might make up for playing in front of 4,000 at home 
    You may be right. Dingwall is not exactly the epicentre of the universe.
    But then, relatively speaking, nor is Charlton.

But Ross County will play some big games, guaranteed.
    We can only pray hopefully for a lucrative cup tie at a big Prem side where half their fans won't bother turning up. Or a play off final. :smile:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2022
    He should hire you as his life coach Oggy. Might cheer him up while he's having to ply his trade up there
  • Options
    Purrington has always been a bit marmite. He’s had games where he looks decent championship level for us, he’s done a decent and occasionally very impressive role going forwards.

I’ve always liked him, I k ow some people hated him and begrudgingly now liked him, some people will always remember all the mistakes a player makes.

Good luck to him and I hope we manage to attract a better player but you don’t know what you got till it’s gone. 
  • Options

I’ve always liked him, I k ow some people hated him and begrudgingly now liked him, some people will always remember all the mistakes a player makes.

Good luck to him and I hope we manage to attract a better player but you don’t know what you got till it’s gone. 
    Haha ..... you  can say that again. :smile:

Ben Purr is a dependable and solid defensive LB at this level. First and foremost, he's a defender.
    Buccaneering wingback he ain't. 

I expect he wasn't thought to be a good fit in Garner's style of football and gameplan. And, it sounds to me, that's why he's been let go. 

• Options
    Another bad injury for poor Ben
  • Options
    After being named in the SPFL team of the week as well