Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks Aneke - ed. Signs for Birmingham p24

Comments

• Options
    Looks like he got married this weekend based off his Instagram stories. Congrats to Mr & Mrs Aneke.
  • Options
    Did he score?
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Did he score?
    Did his groin in after he hit the bar
  • Options
    No words from his new Manager about signing him yet?!
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Hasn't found out yet. 
  • Options
    LB is running around Birmingham buying up all the cotton wool he will need to wrap Chucks up in 
  • Options
    Shame really, regardless of output he was just always one of the most entertaining players to watch when he's on the pitch just seeing him bulldoze his way past defenders, and entertainment always means a bit more whilst we're in this shit league.

I had questions about Aneke when we had the salary cap that we'd be best of with someone who can play more minutes even if not quite as impactful, but now that's been withdrawn there's no doubt he's a pretty huge loss as a 3rd option upfront who can just change a game on his own. Kind of player you can't really replace like for like really as he's just a rare type of player and assume we'll just go in a different direction completely now
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    "Chuks is someone I've been tracking for a while and who I know all about from managing him at Charlton. I've always said that, if he could play for 90 minutes, he would be a quality Championship player.  I'm confident that, over the course of the whole of the coming season, he will do just that"

Lee Bowyer in an interview today with Ian Ciderex-Clusive of the Birmingham Argos 
  • Options
    Shame really, regardless of output he was just always one of the most entertaining players to watch when he's on the pitch just seeing him bulldoze his way past defenders, and entertainment always means a bit more whilst we're in this shit league.

I had questions about Aneke when we had the salary cap that we'd be best of with someone who can play more minutes even if not quite as impactful, but now that's been withdrawn there's no doubt he's a pretty huge loss as a 3rd option upfront who can just change a game on his own. Kind of player you can't really replace like for like really as he's just a rare type of player and assume we'll just go in a different direction completely now
    Can't really argue with any of that. One thing that I do have difficulty reconciling is what his actual value was to us as against what his value might be.

His one goal in the Championship did absolutely nothing to keep us up in his first season. It could be argued that his 15 last season in the League almost got us into the Play Offs (his goal in the EFL Cup is rather irrelevant). But it didn't. 

Let's look at what his contribution in two years at the Club cost us. I have no idea what his salary was but, as he was signed when we were in the Championship I am going to guesstimate £8K per week (perhaps someone more in the know could give a more accurate figure). So, in terms of the League, the only competition that we took seriously, Aneke scored a total of 16 goals in two years and contributed 3 assists. 

So, each of Aneke's goals and assists cost the Club, based on that £8k a week figure, £43,789. Now let's say that Stockley's salary was the same as that of Aneke for the 18 weeks he was with us last season. Stockley's 8 goals and 2 assists would have cost us £14,400 each - or roughly a third of the cost of Aneke. Even if we write Aneke's first season off, his 15 goals and 2 assists last season would have cost us almost twice as much as Stockley. Schwartz is costing us at the moment and Adkins needs to decide if we need to cut our losses or if he can integrate him into the team.  He wasn't Adkins' signing but might not have been LB's either.

As I've said before, every player has his price AND value. This is really difficult to quantify when a player has limitations on his ability to play. I can only think that LB is confident that Aneke is over these issues and that he will get value from him. But it will still be a gamble. I'm reasonably hopeful that Adkins will sign the players and find a way of playing that will make us a force in this division.   

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Considering our budget was in the six million area in the champ, and we signed him from Wimbledon I'd guess his wages were around £2-3,000 a week: £4,000 absolute max.  Nabby was said to be highest paid on £8,000.

We got a very good return on Chuks in L1, but not sure he was worth a big pay rise.  Good luck to him, but he rarely looked like scoring in the champ and inverse to his L1 effectiveness off the bench, all too often in the champ he struggled to impact the game only do his whacking a central half bit.  Championship defenders easily coped with him in the box, and nullified his holdup play.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Big club,what I always wanted,glad its finally over the line,blah blah blah,judging by these statements he was never going to sign,why piss about with these people,they will only stay if no better offers come along,said it before clear them out now,"this is our final offer" take it or piss off,especially Matthews who only signed as a last resort last season when no one else came in.
    Because I don’t really think it works like that, it’s far more nuanced with lots of moving parts. 

- What sort of deal are you asking them to sign? What’s the salary and term? 
    - What if they all fall for your hardman approach and sign and, then, on the 1st of July a ton of better players become available but we’ve already done our budget by forcing players to make early decisions? 
    You have a very valid point,but look at the time we have lost waiting for decisions from these players.Amos is still dithering,do we wait until he makes up his mind before we try to fill this most important of positions,there wont be too many top keepers around at our level.
    We start our friendlies in 2 weeks,so far one player has been signed,several let go,and a few more with contracts ending,if we are seriously going to challenge this year,the majority of the squad needs to be settled in long before the season starts.
    We haven't lost any time. Our recruitment guys will have been speaking to others whilst these chaps pondered.  Who's to say we didn't pull Amos contract forcing him to Wigan because we are about to announce Mcscotty boy from Pompey.  These things are not black and white

Of course its not black and white,the ordinary punter like me can only guess or surmise what goes on in these situations.But my point is,we will still have a restricted budget,and cant really offer incoming players a deal until the outgoings are confirmed,as we dont know what sort of money we could offer.also,any prospective signings that are any good,will be in demand and will not hang around while our out of contracts make up their mind.
    How do you know we have a "restricted budget", are you part of the recruitment team?
    We have a budget whatever that budget is.
    All clubs have a budget and our recruitment team will work within it.
    I am sure that this season they will put together a squad that will be fighting for auto

A budget is a budget,restricted or not,we will have one and we will have to be very careful not to allow agents and players to look at us and say"they have got a few bob"No doubt our recruitment team will do the usual and get the best in they can(Incidentally without my help),but the ditherers have to go or sign quickly.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    Considering our budget was in the six million area in the champ, and we signed him from Wimbledon I'd guess his wages were around £2-3,000 a week: £4,000 absolute max.  Nabby was said to be highest paid on £8,000.

We got a very good return on Chuks in L1, but not sure he was worth a big pay rise.  Good luck to him, but he rarely looked like scoring in the champ and inverse to his L1 effectiveness off the bench, all too often in the champ he struggled to impact the game only do his whacking a central half bit.  Championship defenders easily coped with him in the box, and nullified his holdup play.
    He definitely had an impact in the last few games of the championship season. I remmeber him going passed brum defenders and setting up that chance that bonne missed, set up bonnes goal against wigan. Good finish against stoke.
     Just a  few examples off the top of my head. 
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    ColinTat said:

He definitely had an impact in the last few games of the championship season. I remmeber him going passed brum defenders and setting up that chance that bonne missed, set up bonnes goal against wigan. Good finish against stoke.
    That was in his first game on 10th August - his only goal in the 745 minutes on the pitch that season. And the Wigan assist was the only one that he managed too  I believe. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    SamB09 said:
    ColinTat said:

One goal against Stoke in his first match in the champ, and one assist.  Not sure that constitutes an impact outside of 20-30 minutes played. 

After the restart he seemed to come on, get a few tight chances and nearly always have his shot blocked or hit the keeper.  His hold up play was not effective.  He invariably lost the ball and then whacked a defender in an impossible challenge.  An effective player in L1, whilst in the champ even when we were on form I'd say he looked way off champ quality.

Good luck to him.  In a Rowett team I think he could just about have an impact in the champ.  But I also think that for most teams and managers in the champ he will struggle.  
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    HAHAHA Ant Middleton and Lee Bowyer a match made in heaven !!!! 
    Their training methods are probably not dissimilar 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Birmingham have enlisted Ant Middleton (SAS Are You Tough Enough) to do pre season training. 

Regretting that move now Chuks....ouch. He’ll be out for the season.

Jesus, I wonder how much that would cost!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    Birmingham have enlisted Ant Middleton (SAS Are You Tough Enough) to do pre season training. 

Regretting that move now Chuks....ouch. He’ll be out for the season.

Presume this is for a tv documentary or something? Surely he can’t seriously be taking pre-season training at Birmingham. How bizarre. 
  • Options
    He is showing the players how to throat chop an opposition player rather than jump out of a tackle 
  • Options
    If Chuks does a SAS type training in the summer, that would be beyond Bizarre considering his personal health CV!
  • Options
    Started the game and played 75 minutes last night.
  • Options
    Chuks went off in the 73rd

Birmingham scored in the 75th... 🤣
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chuks went off in the 73rd

Birmingham scored in the 75th... 🤣
    That’s the last they’ll see of him for a month then. 
  • Options
    What a striker, keep him fit and he can win us games. Lifts the whole team when he comes on. IMO great signing.
  • Options
    What a striker, keep him fit and he can win us games. Lifts the whole team when he comes on. IMO great signing.
    "Keep him fit". Why didn't anybody think of that before?  ;)
  • Options
    Can you imagine what he could do if we could get one full season out of him?