Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Gallen - "test of building squad for Championship no tougher than scenario facing us last Aug"

Comments

• Options
    Having watched lots of clips of some of the last few matches of the season I noticed that in many of them Josh Parker, when the ball is in the box, has a habit of freezing, acting more like a spectator than a participant. It’s kinda weird. I think in the scramble for Bauer’s Wembley winner, and in some of the penalty area action v Donny he’s almost rooted to the spot. I think that might be why he has such a low goal scoring ratio for a striker. 
    He won me over as a player in the end, but that flaw will (unless I’m imagining it) drastically hold him back, whatever league he drops down to. 
    In fact I just found this photo which is a classic example!

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Having watched lots of clips of some of the last few matches of the season I noticed that in many of them Josh Parker, when the ball is in the box, has a habit of freezing, acting more like a spectator than a participant. It’s kinda weird. I think in the scramble for Bauer’s Wembley winner, and in some of the penalty area action v Donny he’s almost rooted to the spot. I think that might be why he has such a low goal scoring ratio for a striker. 
    He won me over as a player in the end, but that flaw will (unless I’m imagining it) drastically hold him back, whatever league he drops down to. 

Let’s be honest, Parker is nowhere near the standard required for the Championship - he might even be punching above his weight in L1.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:

Let’s be honest, Parker is nowhere near the standard required for the Championship - he might even be punching above his weight in L1.
    Yeah agreed. He'd be a decent squad player for some league 1 clubs but he isn't a championship player.
  • Options
    More from Gallen below.

BY RICHARD CAWLEY

Charlton Athletic have been seen as big payers in League One – but head of recruitment Steve Gallen has revealed why that is misleading.

Owner Roland Duchatelet cut back heavily on spending from last summer as he looked to cut losses and make the club more attractive for a takeover.

Gallen said: “There has been a lot of talk about our budget last year. We are historically playing a few players big contracts.

“And so that made it like ‘look how big Charlton’s budget is’. But I can tell you now that all the players that came in last summer – from Lyle Taylor, Darren Pratley, Josh Cullen and Krystian Bielik – it was a mid-table League One budget.

“It’s easy for some clubs out there to say: ‘Their budget is massive’. But we were paying large amounts to players who quite often weren’t in the first-team squad.

“I’d see every January or February the payments come out to the agents and a year ago it came out that Charlton were paying the third highest. I rang Chris Parkes [club secretary] and said: ‘Chris, what’s this? We’re not paying anything! Blackburn were top and Wigan had just come down. How are we third?

“I was new to the role and Chris explained it was historical. We still have to pay agents for the big contracts – it’s not just on the day they walk through the door, here you go it’s paid.

“It continues through their contracts. You’ll find in a year’s time that the payments to agents will come way down – way down. And our budget will also come down.”

• Options
    More from Gallen below.

BY RICHARD CAWLEY

Charlton Athletic have been seen as big payers in League One – but head of recruitment Steve Gallen has revealed why that is misleading.

Owner Roland Duchatelet cut back heavily on spending from last summer as he looked to cut losses and make the club more attractive for a takeover.

Gallen said: “There has been a lot of talk about our budget last year. We are historically playing a few players big contracts.

“And so that made it like ‘look how big Charlton’s budget is’. But I can tell you now that all the players that came in last summer – from Lyle Taylor, Darren Pratley, Josh Cullen and Krystian Bielik – it was a mid-table League One budget.

“It’s easy for some clubs out there to say: ‘Their budget is massive’. But we were paying large amounts to players who quite often weren’t in the first-team squad.

“I’d see every January or February the payments come out to the agents and a year ago it came out that Charlton were paying the third highest. I rang Chris Parkes [club secretary] and said: ‘Chris, what’s this? We’re not paying anything! Blackburn were top and Wigan had just come down. How are we third?

“I was new to the role and Chris explained it was historical. We still have to pay agents for the big contracts – it’s not just on the day they walk through the door, here you go it’s paid.

“It continues through their contracts. You’ll find in a year’s time that the payments to agents will come way down – way down. And our budget will also come down.”

Wait.... what...?

Could Roland explain this one please?

Why were we dealing with Agents???
  • Options
    More from Gallen below.

BY RICHARD CAWLEY

That’s really interesting and sounds like whomever buys the club (and hopefully someone does soon) will inherit a pretty healthy situation in terms of wage commitments from 2020/21.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    se9addick said:
    More from Gallen below.

BY RICHARD CAWLEY

That’s really interesting and sounds like whomever buys the club (and hopefully someone does soon) will inherit a pretty healthy situation in terms of wage commitments from 2020/21.
    But Roland blames the EFL and "Crazy" owners not himself and Meire who agreed all those deals.

Sarr will be the last of those big contracts now Ajose and Igor have gone. 27k PW for the three of them combined.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    More from Gallen below.

BY RICHARD CAWLEY

But Roland blames the EFL and "Crazy" owners not himself and Meire who agreed all those deals.

Sarr will be the last of those big contracts now Ajose and Bauer have gone. £27k PW for the three of them combined.
    I dread to think how much money Ajose had out of us in that case.

It is an indictment of Roland’s early years that he had a Belgian lawyer and a Football Manager wizz making transfer deals that they didn’t understand that really got the finances in such a ruinous state. If we had a Gallen in place from the start the situation could be a lot healthier and Roland would be able to sell the club much easier. 
  • Options
    I was told that agents loved dealing with Meire as they could get what they wanted as she didn't have a clue.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    More from Gallen below.

BY RICHARD CAWLEY

Sarr will be the last of those big contracts now Ajose and Bauer have gone. £27k PW for the three of them combined.
    I dread to think how much money Ajose had out of us in that case.

It is an indictment of Roland’s early years that he had a Belgian lawyer and a Football Manager wizz making transfer deals that they didn’t understand that really got the finances in such a ruinous state. If we had a Gallen in place from the start the situation could be a lot healthier and Roland would be able to sell the club much easier. 
    Or just stuck with Powell and Chapple.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    More from Gallen below.

BY RICHARD CAWLEY

And Igor

Bizarre that agent fees can be ongoing over the contract of a player
  • Options
    I was told that agents loved dealing with Meire as they could get what they wanted as she didn't have a clue.
    Hence Gomez's low release clause agreed in 2014, less than a year after KM had been at the club?...
  • Options
    Meire, dreisen and Duchâtelet’s support of them and other incompetents has cost this club hard. It will cost Duchâtelet in the end but he is such a stubborn man that he cannot fully accept the financial cost of his errors and until he accepts the financial cost of at least a large proportion of them, the my will continue to increase.

Just sell the club and leave is to rebuild what you have broken. Twat. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    More from Gallen below.

BY RICHARD CAWLEY

And Igor

Bizarre that agent fees can be ongoing over the contract of a player
    My mistake. Igor not Bauer.
  • Options
    Steve Gallen is our own Stuart Webber, the man who, as Football/Sporting Director, masterminded Huddersfield's and then Norwich's promotions to the Premier League.
  • Options
      MuttleyCAFC said:
    The photo of Bauer's goal isn't a classic example as Parker was not in a position to do anything other than prepare to celebrate. Clearly, he is not a clinical striker but I don't think the issue you have stated is the main issue with him. I think he lacks touch and composure. Having said that, he did well for us in the important last few games and was a prominent figure in the last 10 minutes at Wembley so I for one am grateful we signed him and wish him all the best.

As for budget, yes Igor was on about £7.5k a week for starters. We had quality midfielders in Cullen, Beilik and Williams that we were paying hardly anything for.

Muttley was Bauer on less than Sarr?  And was the recently mentioned 5 grand a week about correct for Bauer?  I suppose Sporting Lisbon's budget and wages would be higher than Maritomo's.

I hope Parker get's a good decent contract in l1 or l2.  His work rate was excellent and with a little more luck could have scored.
  • Options
    I believe a good source said Igor was the highest paid player for Cafc in League 1 on 7k. This would of stayed about the same since he signed and Katrien and Roland decided that 5 years ago.
    I'm sure it was documented that JBG last contract with Cafc doubled from 7k to 14k or 15k  before his transfer to Burnley when 24k was mentioned ( he had since had about 10k added) 
    Find it hard to believe that Katrien didn't run every single contact and the financial deal past "the miser" first as she said she thought she would be sacked after the sex on the pitch video tape let alone agreeing a five year 7k a week deal with Igor Vetokele's agent. This comes to 336k in a year plus Igor spent most of his 5 years at the valley with a sick note.

The thought that Duchatelet didn't know the exact amounts that was agreed with Vetokele to the penny just don't tally with his penny pinching narrative.

Surely Katrien was the monkey not the organ grinder ?

Ps. Sorry to @cabbles and mentioning organ grinding and Katrien in the same sentence.
  • Options
    Logically Igor would have been the highest paid player, as strikers tend to get more money than defenders. And at the time he signed, he was a more established player than Sarr or Bauer.
  • Options
    Logically Igor would have been the highest paid player, as strikers tend to get more money than defenders. And at the time he signed, he was a more established player than Sarr or Bauer.
    I go to lots of non League football down the pyramid where part time players get £50 and the main striker gets £100.
    So my point was not that Igor was top earner but why 5 and not 3 year max offered when it was unknown if he could succeed in the championship ?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    IIRC, which I probably don't, Igor was never ment to come out of our budget.  KM said that she had a set budget for players but if the owner wanted a player in addition he would authorise that above the set budget. Or words to that effect. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I go to lots of non League football down the pyramid where part time players get £50 and the main striker gets £100.
    So my point was not that Igor was top earner but why 5 and not 3 year max offered when it was unknown if he could succeed in the championship ?

I guess expectations were high, as he was an up and coming young striker who'd already made his mark and scored plenty of goals in the top league in Denmark.

He exactly fitted the mould of buying a young player, improving him and after a year or so, flogging him to the Prem for an even bigger fee.

IMO a 4 year contract was given in the expectation that his re-sale value would be worth more with longer left on his contract. Igor started like a train and if he hadn't been forced to play on through injury, who knows what he could have achieved?

Poor medical diagnosis and treatment. How to wreck your investment by penny pinching.

• Options
    any idea what the difference in budget is this upcoming season to last?
  • Options
    A fiver and a bag of chips.
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    any idea what the difference in budget is this upcoming season to last?
    Surely depends massively on whether the takeover goes through?
  • Options
    Out of interest, I read somewhere that JJ and Gallen had signed new contracts but I cannot remember seeing anything on the OS, did I miss it?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Have to disagree with this, JS.

Surely he has the embarrassing habit of premature celebration.....
    I used to have a trick to help prevent that in my younger days......think of Carl Leaburn.