Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MARK LAWRENSON

Comments

• Options

MOTD probably does need freshening up, I used to like Hansen but he gets a bit repetitve now. The combination of him, Lawrenson and Shearer has all the charisma of a bag of potatoes.

However, any organisation that gives Robbie Savage a salary deserves to have its funding withdrawn IMO.

Massively agree with this, I just can't listen to the vapid, self - regarding drivel he continually comes out with.

One of the only pundits on the bbc I don't mind is Martin Keown, he is quite articulate and less banal than most on there. I really disliked him as a player as well!
  • Options

MOTD probably does need freshening up, I used to like Hansen but he gets a bit repetitve now. The combination of him, Lawrenson and Shearer has all the charisma of a bag of potatoes.

However, any organisation that gives Robbie Savage a salary deserves to have its funding withdrawn IMO.

Massively agree with this, I just can't listen to the vapid, self - regarding drivel he continually comes out with.

One of the only pundits on the bbc I don't mind is Martin Keown, he is quite articulate and less banal than most on there. I really disliked him as a player as well!
    It could be worse - Danny Murphy springs to mind.
  • Options
    He’s worse than Danny Murphy. And that’s saying a lot. The only thing about this summers World Cup I’m not looking forward to is having to listen to this guy. Complete miserable cunt.
  • Options
    another great quote from yesterdays match was when sterling was in on goal and shot straight at the goalkeeper. Mark's comment was "well he got into a great position, he saw the goalkeeper coming out and thought to himself, hmmm." fantastic bit of insight.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    He's so slow to realise what's going on as well. When Silva's goal was disallowed it took him ages to think of the possibility that Sane was in the keeper's line of sight.
    Guy Mowbray is almost as irritating. The pair are a painful combination.
  • Options
    Talal said:

He's so slow to realise what's going on as well. When Silva's goal was disallowed it took him ages to think of the possibility that Sane was in the keeper's line of sight.
    Guy Mowbray is almost as irritating. The pair are a painful combination.

I'm finding the whole of the BBC biased towards the big teams at the moment in the FA Cup

Bet had that been the other way round it'll barely have got a mention...
  • Options
    On his BBC predictions page, he has yet to predict a single league defeat for Man U, Spurs or Liverpool so far this season!

If his predictions came true then Spurs, who are currently 20 points behind City, would be ahead of them!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42724313
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just want to post a short but pertinent comment on this thread.

Jimmy Armfield.
  • Options

Just want to post a short but pertinent comment on this thread.

Jimmy Armfield.

Who was affectionately known as "I like Jimmy Armfield".
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Sorry to bump an ancient thread, but I just cannot stand the man. What does he actually get paid for?
    Latest example, Cardiff v Man City.
    Commentator: The Man City fans start a chant of 'England, England'
    ML: Not the best place to do it, methinks.

AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!
    So oily, smug, arrogant, condescending and just plain thick.

"methinks" - clear twat identifier, right there.

His knowledge of the game outside of the first XI at the 'big 6' is very limited, and is almost non existent outside the Premier League and England.

Talks like he actively hates football.

His jokes aren't even up to most dad jokes standard.

Can't stand him

The BBC coverage of football in general is pretty poor right now. I used to enjoy the 5Live coverage, but they persist with another miserable over opinionated sod in Alan Green, and Robbie Savage..... well... do I really need to elaborate? Their coverage outside of the Premier League seems to be ever shrinking too (budget cuts perhaps?) and these days seems to mainly consist of the sycophantic 'Clem'.

So much better stuff available through podcasts these days, run by journalists and fans who seem to actually enjoy watching matches and take time to educate themselves on parts of the game that aren't ion TV every Sunday.

• Options
    Another comment from commentary that annoyed me yesterday was before the game started!!

Players gathered for the tribute to Jimmy Armfield and the commentary team mentioned that he'll be a sad loss to the BBC (and after a brief pause); Blackpool... Seriously the bloke should be remembered for being an extremely classy Footballer first and his media work second!! - Especially in the world of Football we live these days where Footballers will jump ship the moment they can with the signing of a Contract not being worth the paper anymore!!
  • Options

Good news. Despite all the moaning on here, got a bit of a soft spot for the geezer.

Good news but lost all of his gravitas once he'd shaved off the village people tash, wasn't as camp since. Terry McDermott and Graeme Souness haven't spoken to him since
  • Options
    Can't stand him, but thrilled with the news. Mates wife just had some cancer successfully removed from her lymph nodes... Scary times. I wish Lawro a total recovery
  • Options
    Almost christmas. Still yet to predict a defeat for Liverpool (almost 2.5 years now since he predicted they'd lose), Man City and bizarrely for some reason Man Utd.

Also predicted that City would have conceded just 2 goals all season so far.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looks like that cancer has really had an effect on him

Unrecognisable
  • Options

Unrecognisable
    He looks happy tho

I hope my post didnt seem insensitive in anyway.
  • Options
    I don’t believe it ...
  • Options

Unrecognisable
    He looks happy tho

I hope my post didnt seem insensitive in anyway.
    No I didnt think that in the slightest 
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54819594

After 159 games, the longest unbeaten run in English football is finally over.

Don't bother checking the record books, however, because this sequence only exists in an alternative universe based on Mark Lawrenson's Premier League predictions.

In his popular weekly feature for the BBC Sport website, Lawro had not predicted a defeat for Liverpool since May 2016 - until now.

The former Reds defender is backing Manchester City to beat Jurgen Klopp's side 2-0 at Etihad Stadium on Sunday. Lawro told BBC Sport: "I know I never usually tip Liverpool to lose but I just feel like it is a massive game for both defences and this time it is the Reds who have the uncertainty at the back."

That prediction ends a remarkable run of results that, if it had actually happened, would have eclipsed the real-life achievements by Arsenal's Invincibles, who remained unbeaten for a record 49 games between May 2003 and October 2004.

Before this week, Lawro last predicted a Liverpool loss at West Brom on the last day of the 2015-16 season and, if correct, his results would have seen them stay undefeated for four complete campaigns.

• Options
    Guaranteed a Liverpool win then.
  • Options
    He also seems incapable of visualising a situation where a team scores more than two goals.

He was a hell of a player though.  Stylish and elegant and able to play for a full 90 minutes with a cat on his head.