Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RD speaks

Comments

• Shame that Chris Parkes can't explain how you can trigger an extension but still have an improved contract added on.
    Can two contracts become one as they say in the song !
    Maybe the next best person would be @Henry Irving who TBF have spent time in Cafc boardroom when players contract  extensions were discussed ?
    Don't have to name names and who likes a hobnob or dunks their biscuits but many of us are interested in the process of contract extensions.

Over to you Henry, if not Airman may know the finer points ?
  • We all know what RD is like.
    So on this basis I think the statement clarifies matters a little.
    It definitely tells us more than we knew.
    I think reading the above comments, many people have failed to understand what he has said and might want to re read what he said.
    (Assuming what he has said is true).
    But it clearly isn't true
  • I’m not sure what he wants to gain from that statement. What I can’t get my head around is if he is so desperate to sell the club why doesn’t he lower the price surely he cannot be that thick. He is loaded and doesn’t need the money but is still holding out for an offer that won’t be coming. I starting to think he actually likes the grief he is getting and is getting off on the drama it is creating in the sad little life that he lives.
  • He uses the excuse of land values. The club ( unfortunately him) owns the ground and training ground, therefore the value is immaterial. What he appears to be implying is he wants the development value for them. If they remain for the purpose they are currently used the value should be no issue.
  • Following the win, I was filled with hope”........
    Yep you weren’t alone there. At last something we, as fans and the owner, have found common ground.
    Apart from that it reads like he wants us to be grateful for the last few years of total misery. 
    I could use another house analogy but it is easier than that, running a football club comes with costs and risk, especially if you ain’t got a clue what you’re buying and what you expect to gain.

• Valley11 said:
    The bit I don’t understand is he says he’s in the process of selling then talks about a spendthrift plan for next season, like he’s planning to stick around.

Did anyone else think that or is it just knackered me?
    As with any other business you need to budget and plan for business as usual.  If the club is taken over then plans and budgets will change.  He's getting the blamethrower out early for the reasons for our 24th place finish  next year if the takeover doesn't happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• So clear as mud as usual.
  • Im not sure its the best sales tactic to be shouting from the rooftops that "all Championship club owners face huge yearly losses"
    It's hardly a secret.
  • Totally depressing
  • stonemuse said:
    He wants LB to trigger his contract extension on existing terms.

Delusional. 
    He might want that, but that's not what is happening.

"Talks about improving Lee's contract are scheduled for next week.
    Both the club and Lee want him to be the Charlton Athletic manager next season."
  • I didn't think it was that bad. Sounds to me like one of the potential owners are interested again, but the issue of the ex-director loans is once again the stumbling block. (Not that the loans SHOULD be a problem as they are only repaid once we get to the Premier League - which may be never.)  They dont accrue interest either so I cant really see what the problem is - unless you want to borrow against the club - which to me would be a worry as it means any new owner doesn't have the dosh to fund things from the start & wants to start borrowing from the get go. Just  my interpretation of course. Obviously in life you would like everything to be neat & tidy - but sometimes it's not. 

As for the contract talks. Seems reasonable enough. Contract extension triggered if LB wants too......and seeing as he got us promoted then enhanced terms will be discussed next week - but he has to sign the extension first. Seems sensible to me. As if he doesn't & doesn't like the increased terms next week then he can walk. At least if he's under contract wd would get compounded for him. Just like a player. Says a lot if he doesn't sign it. 
  • I don't think it's saying Bowyer has to agree to extension to discuss better terms. It's saying that extension was triggered but he still has right to veto, and they are discussing a better contract. 

But the comments about next seaons budgets etc doesn't give a warm feeling about the a sale being close 
  • Im not sure its the best sales tactic to be shouting from the rooftops that "all Championship club owners face huge yearly losses"
    It's hardly a secret.
    It was a secret that evaded him when he bought us!
  • Redskin said:
    seth plum said:
    Are people saying there is some merit in this latest statement?
    I can't see any.
    Can anybody winkle out any positives?
    Give your son a ring.
    What's that supposed to mean? 
  • Don’t trust him one little bit. Really really need news that LB is here next season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Roland if you are staying you will need too spend if we stay up.
  • WSS said:
    So........RD thanks him (amongst others) for his cooperation, yet he then says he hasn't even properly discussed it.

Knowing RD he'll probably offer them about 20% of the loan amount!
  • Also, it is very clear we will be spending zero in this transfer window and that.... is that. There is no other way to interpret his wording.
    Quite possibly. The same as last season.
  •  Love this bit:

For example, it is debatable whether the first candidate for buying the club, who was pushed, with the very best intentions, by ex-CEO Peter Varney, ex-director Derek Chappell and Rick Everitt (VOV from 29 12 15), the current owner of Ebbsfleet football club, would have been the right fit for Charlton.

And so, we were stuck with you Roland. The ultimate square peg in a f******** round hole!

• The thing I take away from that is that he will be spending even less than last year, despite being in a higher division.  The worry is with all the players we are losing, will we even have enough to build a full squad?  If we do, it's likely to be very thin and lacking in the quality we will need to survive.  Let's hope Lee can pull off another minor miracle.

I doubt spending even less as our income will increase by over £5M, with extra TV & gate money.
    But maybe not spending a lot more.
  • The old director loans an issue but no mention of our alleged debt to staprix. Surely that debt is bigger than the old ones? Also very worried about bowyers contract situation now. If i know the old scrote, that seems like  pre emptive damage limitation, passing blame to bowyer " we offered a deal but he wouldnt sign".  Other than that, thats probably the most reasonable statement hes ever made. 
  • stonemuse said:
    He wants LB to trigger his contract extension on existing terms.

Delusional. 
    He might want that, but that's not what is happening.

"Talks about improving Lee's contract are scheduled for next week.
    Both the club and Lee want him to be the Charlton Athletic manager next season."
    It is delusional wanting him to trigger an extension on existing terms ... which is why it won’t happen and he will give Lee an improved contract.