Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England fans causing trouble In Portugal

Comments

• So - the way to stop morons fucking up your town centre is to tell the police to let them 'take over' a couple of local bars and cafes, stop selling glass bottles in case they accidentally slip out of peoples' hands at high speed, profile innocent people who just happen to be standing around actual troublemakers (but look, act, dress and talk exactly the same as them) and ignore provocation of local fans that wouldn't be ignored if it was the other way round

K
    Your solution then? Come on big mouth let's hear your "wisdom" 
  • Fair play to Gary Neville just then. Backing England fans with a bit of CONTEXT!!

Incredible support with a few idiots outside.
  • Chizz said:
    I think the media are really unfair to England football fans.  There's so much coverage in the papers and on the TV about it.  Every time.  

You hardly ever read about or see news reports about fans having fights before rugby matches or Grand Prix races or cricket matches or rock concerts or tennis tournaments or darts matches.  

Honestly, just have a think about the last time you read about a brawl before a snooker tournament.  Or an art exhibition.  They never report it, do they?  

It's SO unfair.  
    Boxing, the races, the darts, Twenty20, rugby sevens.

All of the above have seen some form of disorder in recent years. Is that all down to football fans too? Alcohol is the problem here, that's why almost every town centre across the country is swarming with police every Friday/Saturday night.
  • Croydon said:
    Chizz said:
    I think the media are really unfair to England football fans.  There's so much coverage in the papers and on the TV about it.  Every time.  

You hardly ever read about or see news reports about fans having fights before rugby matches or Grand Prix races or cricket matches or rock concerts or tennis tournaments or darts matches.  

Honestly, just have a think about the last time you read about a brawl before a snooker tournament.  Or an art exhibition.  They never report it, do they?  

It's SO unfair.  

All of the above have seen some form of disorder in recent years. Is that all down to football fans too? Alcohol is the problem here, that's why almost every town centre across the country is swarming with police every Friday/Saturday night.
    Every town centre swarming with police, I think not.
  • cabbles said:
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Its just embarrassing, I have as many reasons to sing about the IRA as anyone but for it to be sung at football, in Portugal by drinken idiots, most too young to remember the troubles, is just pathetic. I have never understood why England fans sing it at all, its just so irrelevant.

I have travelled with England enough over the years to know its a minority but I just dont get it, there are a 100 reasons to have a few beers and have fun with the locals before I can think of one to throw a bottle at them, regardless of who started it and how aggressive the local police are. 
    This is a good point mate and the anti IRA/2 world wars and one World Cup shit (as an example) really riles me.  As you have said, you and others were actually at the sharp end of that stuff and know the magnitude of the issues involved.  These are very serious subjects that shouldn’t be trivialised into football chants by a few 100 idiots who don’t know their arse from their elbow.  
    this also when you see young fans running about with the red hand of ulster on there st george's cross flags i just don't get, fair cop if they actually understand the n ireland situation but many dont.
  • DA9 said:
    Football fans have always been treated as second class citizens, and had their rights laughed at by the authorities and media, seen OB get away with some serious abuse of their powers, that they would never dare to attempt at say Notting hill carnival.
    Its not a football problem, it’s an English cultural/mindset problem in regards to alcohol and young lads/men gathering together, be it football, darts, rugby, boxing or cricket 
    Exactly - it's not limited to football. We have a minority who turn nasty under the influence of booze.
  • cabbles said:
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Its just embarrassing, I have as many reasons to sing about the IRA as anyone but for it to be sung at football, in Portugal by drinken idiots, most too young to remember the troubles, is just pathetic. I have never understood why England fans sing it at all, its just so irrelevant.

I have travelled with England enough over the years to know its a minority but I just dont get it, there are a 100 reasons to have a few beers and have fun with the locals before I can think of one to throw a bottle at them, regardless of who started it and how aggressive the local police are. 
    This is a good point mate and the anti IRA/2 world wars and one World Cup shit (as an example) really riles me.  As you have said, you and others were actually at the sharp end of that stuff and know the magnitude of the issues involved.  These are very serious subjects that shouldn’t be trivialised into football chants by a few 100 idiots who don’t know their arse from their elbow.  
    this also when you see young fans running about with the red hand of ulster on there st george's cross flags i just don't get, fair cop if they actually understand the n ireland situation but many dont.
    Taking of England fan’s flags - why do you always see lots of Union Jacks amongst the England support?

Noticed a Charlton flag front and centre during the match last night!! 
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    cabbles said:
    SE7toSG3 said:

Taking of England fan’s flags - why do you always see lots of Union Jacks amongst the England support?

I don’t think you do these days. They are the exception now as oppose to before Euro 96 when they were the majority. That seemed to be the shift but I’m happy seeing both.
  • se9addick said:
    cabbles said:
    SE7toSG3 said:

I don’t think you do these days. They are the exception now as oppose to before Euro 96 when they were the majority. That seemed to be the shift but I’m happy seeing both.
    Oh I’m not saying they’re the majority, not by a long chalk, but they are pretty common. Just wondered why. 
  • I think it’s just more people identified as British back then and since then there has been a shift to a pride in England and rise in English nationalism. But I’m far from an expert on the subject.

Rule Britaina is still sung by England fans too, so there is still an element of British pride in the support. For me they’re not mutually exclusive but I consider myself English and carry a SGC first and foremost.
  • Didnt see one bit of trouble last night, fantastic atmosphere in the fan park. Shame about the result.
  • Didnt see one bit of trouble last night, fantastic atmosphere in the fan park. Shame about the result.
    Shame about the performance. 
  • Croydon said:
    Chizz said:

It's SO unfair.  

Unauthorised beer snakes? 
    Was it your Charlton flag in front row mate?
  • I see old Yaxley was there......
    Didnt see one bit of trouble last night, fantastic atmosphere in the fan park. Shame about the result.
    Was it your Charlton flag in front row mate?
    No mate but went for breakfast this morning and someone had a bexley/Charlton flag up outside their apartment. Saw a few lads that drink down the Red Barn in Barnehurst as well in the fan park. 
  • Sponsored links:

• The magic thing is, he was moaning about milkshakes and saying it was assault the other day. Not sure what happened before but the guy he hit he had to run up to and around people, he wasn't in any physical danger.
  • Cringeworthy cringeworthy antics 
  • McBobbin said:
    I see old Yaxley was there......
    Nice video of him attacking someone from behind doing to round. He really is bloody and impacted turd of a man
    Amazed he has not been turned over badly before now.

A controversial character.
  • McBobbin said:
    Nice video of him attacking someone from behind doing to round. He really is bloody and impacted turd of a man

He had a  very tough time in prison.
  • McBobbin said:

He had a  very tough time in prison.
    was he groomed by Asian gangs?